Checking fluids

Help Support CattleToday:

flaboy?

Reaction score
I know Dun will read this thinking it has something to do with Depends. :lol:

Here is my dilemma. I have a couple tractors that I have a hard time seeing the hydraulic levels in especially in full sun. One has a non-leaking leak. It just disappears and I can't find a leak anywhere. The other is just so clean I can't see it.

So, I am thinking about adding a little food coloring to the hydo fluids so I can see them better. The stuff is just so dang clear it's hard for these old eyes to see it out in the field.

What ya think?

flaboy?":1ydp32r2 said:
I know Dun will read this thinking it has something to do with Depends. :lol:

Here is my dilemma. I have a couple tractors that I have a hard time seeing the hydraulic levels in especially in full sun. One has a non-leaking leak. It just disappears and I can't find a leak anywhere. The other is just so clean I can't see it.

So, I am thinking about adding a little food coloring to the hydo fluids so I can see them better. The stuff is just so dang clear it's hard for these old eyes to see it out in the field.

What ya think?

There used to a product that you could put in the fluids that dyed it, may still be available. I don;t think you can put enough food coloring in it (water based) and have it do any good. You need to let that fluid get dirty instead of changing it all the time, unless it's like an old truck I had one time that automatically changed it's own oil every 500 miles. Sure was tough on skeeters.

Yep, the 285 changes it own hydraulic fluid and for the life of me I can't figure out where it goes. I have operated the baler on dry dirt, let is stand running on clean dry dirt, degreased it, and of course inspected it. Don't see no kills in the field after using it either. I think it is a conspiracy. Evaporating hydo fluid to make you buy more. :lol:

I will see if I can find any real dye around....

:lol: I bet I know what tractor that is or we have one just like it. I have a time seeing it on ours too. Is it in the glass bubble or not :lol: .

PeaceCountryCowboy":3w3k5950 said:
:lol: I bet I know what tractor that is or we have one just like it. I have a time seeing it on ours too. Is it in the glass bubble or not :lol: .

Naw, it's a Massey with a dip stick. :lol:

flaboy?":syal8ik7 said:
Yep, the 285 changes it own hydraulic fluid and for the life of me I can't figure out where it goes. I have operated the baler on dry dirt, let is stand running on clean dry dirt, degreased it, and of course inspected it. Don't see no kills in the field after using it either. I think it is a conspiracy. Evaporating hydo fluid to make you buy more. :lol: I will see if I can find any real dye around....

How about checking with some of the fuel distributors that service the farms. They have to add the dye to the off road diesel and that might just work.
Another question. Does the HYD pump attach to the engine somewhere.If so the oil could be going into the crankcase. A seal could be out in the pump. If it does attach to the engine then check the level of oil in the crankcase and see if you are gaining oil there.

There is dye specifically made for oil. I used to use it when I worked at a pulp mill. It came in a powder form. A little goes a long way. Just a table spoon would be enough to turn a fifty gallon hydraulic tank red. You might try finding it at your closest oil distributor.

hurleyjd":bb3ko6pn said:
Another question. Does the HYD pump attach to the engine somewhere.If so the oil could be going into the crankcase. A seal could be out in the pump. If it does attach to the engine then check the level of oil in the crankcase and see if you are gaining oil there.

I had that happen to me once. Since my tractor used a little oil, I couldn't for the life of me figure out where it was going. Finally pulled it apart with someone pretty savvy and we fixed it.

Good call Hurleyjd - on mine anyway. Just wish I would have read your post five years ago. I wouldn't have been scratching my head for three years and might have a bit more hair. :oops: :lol:

hurleyjd":ysacowp0 said:
flaboy?":ysacowp0 said:
Yep, the 285 changes it own hydraulic fluid and for the life of me I can't figure out where it goes. I have operated the baler on dry dirt, let is stand running on clean dry dirt, degreased it, and of course inspected it. Don't see no kills in the field after using it either. I think it is a conspiracy. Evaporating hydo fluid to make you buy more. :lol: I will see if I can find any real dye around....

How about checking with some of the fuel distributors that service the farms. They have to add the dye to the off road diesel and that might just work.

Great thought hurley. That was my first check when I couldn't find a leak. The pump is internal in the rear but I was checking that engine oil all the time to see if it was increasing.

Years ago chevy touted they chemical honing of the cylinders in the Vega. Friend of mine had one that never got decent gas mileage and after a few miles the engine started to clatter. He would check the oil and it was over full, after it sat for an hour or 2 the oil level was normal. Bearings burned out in about 1000 miles. Turned out that raw fuel was dumping past the rings in the chemically honed cylinders and collecting in the pan. After the car was parked the heat would evaporate the fuel in the pan but the damage had been done. I wonder why no one is pitching chemical honing of cylinders anymore.

I have a simple trick, just pull the dip stick and lay it on one of those blue paper shop towels (do not wipe it just lay) and the oil will show up on the towel. Oh yea your oil IS going into another compartment either clutch housing or engine.

gfd_703":1ykziciw said:
I have a simple trick, just pull the dip stick and lay it on one of those blue paper shop towels (do not wipe it just lay) and the oil will show up on the towel. Oh yea your oil IS going into another compartment either clutch housing or engine.

I thought so too but nope. Clutch level is at it's normal level plus the last time I put 3 gallons in before baling and the time before almost 5 gallons. Season before that one was 5 gallons also. I would have oil coming out of every orfice including around the shifters. Here is my theory :lol: Baler sits all year and it gradually over time leaks it's oil out. When I hook the tractor up it has to fill all the hydraulic stuff on the baler that leaked out.

Second theory is someone is stealing my hydro oil. :shock:

Now get this. I put in around 3 gallons before I started baling last year. I checked it everytime I stopped and it stayed full for the rest of the season. I never disconnected the baler from it though.

flaboy?":39z6q4pc said:
gfd_703":39z6q4pc said:

I thought so too but nope. Clutch level is at it's normal level plus the last time I put 3 gallons in before baling and the time before almost 5 gallons. Season before that one was 5 gallons also. I would have oil coming out of every orfice including around the shifters. Here is my theory :lol: Baler sits all year and it gradually over time leaks it's oil out. When I hook the tractor up it has to fill all the hydraulic stuff on the baler that leaked out.

Second theory is someone is stealing my hydro oil. :shock:

Now get this. I put in around 3 gallons before I started baling last year. I checked it everytime I stopped and it stayed full for the rest of the season. I never disconnected the baler from it though.

Another thought the oil may be leaking around the quick connects between the baler and the tractor. The only time it would leak is when you apply pressure, then you are on the tractor seat and do not notice it. It has happened to me before.

I wondered whether some whitened epoxy glue on the end of the dipstick might help
You know that porcelain glue . I use it to wipe into engraved nameplates -wipe it on then wipe it off leaving some in the recessed areas.

In this case cover the last couple of inches of the dipstick

The other thought was gluing a small strip of alloy or brass ,tin or even a plastic strip to the dipstick

Some pretty good ideas here but I haven't settled on any one thing yet. I looked and manual even said it might be hard to read. Well why didn't they fix it if they knew it was a problem.

Oh, I had to add 2 gallons to the 285 Saturday. Was getting all the equipment PM'd and ready to bale hay when the rains started. I will pay closer attention this year to the lines and look around more using the hydro system.

pull the dipstick and sprinkle a dry powder on it.
wipe well before reinsertion.

Ok, I found the leak. Not good! After baling Saturday I kept it running and pulled up into some dirt and let it run for a few minutes while I went and got a drink. Came back and saw a little puddle. It's is coming out of the bellhousing which means the seal between the tranny and bellhousing is leaking.

To fix, that means the tractor would have to be split. I'm not sure I want to tackle it. :(

If what you did to the mower is any indication of your abilities I would have every confidence you could handle the tractor split.

I am assuming the MF in the picture of your mower is the one you need to split?

Earl Thigpen":2w6xdfp3 said:
If what you did to the mower is any indication of your abilities I would have every confidence you could handle the tractor split.

No, the one in the picture is a MF271. The one with the leak is MF285. I mainly use it just to pull the 5x6 baler. I wonder if any of that tranny stop leak stuff might help. I only saw one brand that said not to use in hydraulic systems.

I appreciate the good words but I don't have a setup big enough to handle the two halves of this thing. It weighs 7650 pounds. I guess I could make something. :lol:

flaboy?":28czqghb said:
Earl Thigpen":28czqghb said:

No, the one in the picture is a MF271. The one with the leak is MF285. I mainly use it just to pull the 5x6 baler. I wonder if any of that tranny stop leak stuff might help. I only saw one brand that said not to use in hydraulic systems.

I appreciate the good words but I don't have a setup big enough to handle the two halves of this thing. It weighs 7650 pounds. I guess I could make something. :lol:

I would NOT put that stuff in anything I owned. It softens the rubber in the seals and makes them swell up as long as the solvent is still in the fluid. When the solvent evaporates the seals get as hard as my head and now you've really got problems.

How did your mower work out, by the way? And how was the skirting?

Latest posts