Checking cattle, turns out it wasn’t what it looked like.

Help Support CattleToday:

Ky hills

Reaction score
Driving around checking on cattle today, when my wife points and says oh no and she is close to being in tears thinking its a dead calf.
I walked up to it thinking the same thing until i got a little ways from it and realized it was the end of a downed tree limb and some fungus growing on another limb. From distance it looked like BWF calf laying out or dead.AEFEEDE2-A9CA-4289-AB3F-82789F482C62.jpeg6988D1DE-1C60-425C-84C1-3C4BDA91AFDE.jpeg

I hate when that happens! And I do it all the time. Almost all our calves are solid black, and I'll see a log in a weird angle in the draw or creek and I'm just sure it's a dead calf. What's worse, there's an old tractor tire that was strategically placed around a power support on the side of the central pasture (who knows how many years ago) and I always get a jolt when I'm scanning the pasture and think I have a dead cow. It's not like I don't know it's there!!! But again, it's black and kind of at an angle. That's my lame excuse and I'm sticking with it:rolleyes:.

You wouldn't want to eat those. They kindly look like oyster mushrooms but the ones in the picture dry out to look like hard scales for lack of a better term. Oysters are thick with gills. Best time for them is during a good late winter warm up.

You wouldn't want to eat those. They kindly look like oyster mushrooms but the ones in the picture dry out to look like hard scales for lack of a better term. Oysters are thick with gills. Best time for them is during a good late winter warm up.
You may very well be correct. That's why I said identify before eating.
The Oyster mushrooms are still out here but probably not much longer.

I hate when that happens! And I do it all the time. Almost all our calves are solid black, and I'll see a log in a weird angle in the draw or creek and I'm just sure it's a dead calf. What's worse, there's an old tractor tire that was strategically placed around a power support on the side of the central pasture (who knows how many years ago) and I always get a jolt when I'm scanning the pasture and think I have a dead cow. It's not like I don't know it's there!!! But again, it's black and kind of at an angle. That's my lame excuse and I'm sticking with it:rolleyes:.
Get some cans of spray paint and paint it red, or in white "NOT A COW". Reduce our anxiety!;)