Cheapest head gate

Help Support CattleToday:

Bigfoot

Reaction score
Ive got what I call a butterfly automatic head gate. Long story short, I'm over it. I want a scissor close. Who make a good one for the money?

M-5":3pjyxc70 said:
I pass a used one setting beside the road twice a day for the last 2 months. No idea how much they want for it.

I kept thinking one would show up on Craigslist. The scissor ones, can get too rusty to work. The one like of got, not so much.

I am in the same boat as you Bigfoot. I have used the butterfly style for years and cussed them every time I used one. I have a priefert 91 coming in two weeks. I'll let you know how it works.

hillbilly beef man":3h4n10fh said:
I am in the same boat as you Bigfoot. I have used the butterfly style for years and cussed them every time I used one. I have a priefert 91 coming in two weeks. I'll let you know how it works.

Please do.

I've got two Priferts and really like them. If I was buying new again though I'd buy Foremost. I really like their operation better but not enough to get screwed selling the two Priferts for nothing on Craigslist.

Maybe I'm going about my butterfly all wrong, but I just hate it. It's got 3 width setting on each side. I guess that makes a total of 6 widths. The setting that works on a 250 pound calf, and what works on a 700 are different. What works for an 1100 pound cow won't work on a 1400. It's aggravating to deal with. If I take it down ever few years, and take a wire wheel to all the sliding parts, and grease them, it's not quit the pia to work with. It needs that now. I wish I had a scissor catch, that'd work on everything.

I used a couple of the saloon door type, bought a Priefert. I like it. Considered Foremost but like the ability to use the automatic feature when needed by myself.

Bigfoot you can come help work cows and try it to see if you like it.

tom4018":ofko1po7 said:
I used a couple of the saloon door type, bought a Priefert. I like it. Considered Foremost but like the ability to use the automatic feature when needed by myself.

Feed me, and I'll come.

Bigfoot":sev3z63m said:
tom4018":sev3z63m said:

Feed me, and I'll come.
May need someone to give shots, depends on how I heal. So don't tempt me.

Totally forgot you had been under the weather. We have a rodeo this weekend. I can bring the whole crew next Saturday, and help anyway possible. Skip feeding us. They reminded me the other day a buffet is all you can eat, not all you can carry.

Bigfoot":1tkb4299 said:
Maybe I'm going about my butterfly all wrong, but I just hate it. It's got 3 width setting on each side. I guess that makes a total of 6 widths. The setting that works on a 250 pound calf, and what works on a 700 are different. What works for an 1100 pound cow won't work on a 1400. It's aggravating to deal with. If I take it down ever few years, and take a wire wheel to all the sliding parts, and grease them, it's not quit the pia to work with. It needs that now. I wish I had a scissor catch, that'd work on everything.

BF, ive used both, but I have used the salon type primarily. I agree adjusting is a pain. I have always separated cows, claves and yearlings and work each group separately. only issue with it is on small calves as it does not close up close enough to really hold them. If they are that small I will just throw them on the ground and do what needs to be done without the head catch.

Bigfoot":3q4xqnzr said:
Totally forgot you had been under the weather. We have a rodeo this weekend. I can bring the whole crew next Saturday, and help anyway possible. Skip feeding us. They reminded me the other day a buffet is all you can eat, not all you can carry.
We usually work cows in November so hopefully I will be able to by then, surgery is Friday.

If they are that small we just cram up to 4 of them in the chute with the head gate closed or in the alley then open the door to the palp cage. That is unless you cut when you wean but even then we don't deal with the head gate. That said, I like our Priefert.

I fought the %#}£*] thing this evening for a while, and worked a dozen 6 weights this afternoon. I think I could improve the design of the little plates that keep it from swinging in or out with a cow in it. Maybe this time drill and tap for some grease fittings in some of the swinging parts? I also put some 30 weight oil in a syringe with a large gauge needle on it, and was able to get it working a lot more freely. I still want a scissor. The auto catch of the butterfly contraption is nice, when your by yourself. My kids are big enough now, I seldom do anything by myself.

My Preifert is under roof and I keep it oiled and the release points slicked off. For me the auto works great as I am usually by myself when I get cattle up. I did make an extra hole for the auto catch as some of my cows and bulls are just to big for the last hole width the company has. The Prieferts are not cheap, but I hope I don't have to buy another one.

v32e.jpg

jltrent":1z3wp1ng said:
My Preifert is under roof and I keep it oiled and the release points slicked off. For me the auto works great as I am usually by myself when I get cattle up. I did make an extra hole for the auto catch as some of my cows and bulls are just to big for the last hole width the company has. The Prieferts are not cheap, but I hope I don't have to buy another one.

v32e.jpg

Wise use of a tobacco barn-------Nicely played.