Cheap hostein feeder calves.

Help Support CattleToday:

I don't know that my nerves would let me buy a couple thousand dollars worth of week old holsteins. I only have two right now but they where about 300lbs when I got them and I got them below market. Seems to me your profit margin is pretty thin if you buy some that are sick and have to keep them pumped full of shots trying to keep them alive.

Calhoun Farm":92955ky3 said:
I don't know that my nerves would let me buy a couple thousand dollars worth of week old holsteins. I only have two right now but they where about 300lbs when I got them and I got them below market. Seems to me your profit margin is pretty thin if you buy some that are sick and have to keep them pumped full of shots trying to keep them alive.
That's why I had to really learn how to buy them and figure giving all of them a couple shots and when they didn't all need them it averaged out for the ones that needed more. Your right the profit not working, I weaned the last one's about a year ago and sold them a couple months ago, now there is almost no profit in a baby Holstein, because now if you want to mess with them you can buy one weaned at 200lbs without near as much risk for 250$. Only about 20$ more than what it cost to buy a baby and get it weaned.

Latest posts