Cheap horses

Help Support CattleToday:

oscar p

Reaction score
Just got back from the horse sale. Someone brought in 2 24ft trailers of colts from out west, all registerd paints. Colts from 6 to 8 months brought $45 to $65. Colts 18 months to 2 yrs, ready to start breaking brouhgt $100 to $135. These colts were good looking horses,All with papers. I couldn't believe it. Good rideing horses brought around $200 to $325. There were about 110 horses in the barn. I couldn't believe horses were that cheap.

I can, and it's only going to get worse. Give it a little while - the ban on horse slaughter is going to make it to where you can't give a horse away.

Yup, like I tell every one horses are a hobby not a buisness. Cattle are were the moneys at. Kaneranch

kaneranch":39wctzlx said:
Yup, like I tell every one horses are a hobby not a buisness. Cattle are were the moneys at. Kaneranch

The horse business has made us a good living for many years. Until the combonation of the drought and this horse slaughter BS. But then the drought put a lot of farmers and cattlemen out of business to.

According to the stats from A&M for 2005 the rankings in size and revenue for the Ag industry in Texas were;

1. Poultry
2. Cattle
3. Horses

Since the Ag industry is still among the leaders of overall industry in Texas, that put's the horse industry very close to the top also.Z

kaneranch":2i4mm22w said:

My cousin makes his living selling horses...he makes a better living with around 85 horses than I do with 800+ cattle...

Good horses sold private treaty or at a production sale are still bringing in good money, but most local auctions are flooded with horses because every Tom, Dick, and Harry who owns a horse wants to breed it. They breed only to have a cute baby around and then sell it to make room for the next one. Also it is up to us horse sellers to no sale horses if they don't bring the money we want. Don't sell a horse for $100 and then complain about it. If you aren't part of the solution you are part of the problem. Last month we sold a mare at auction for what we were tyring to get for her private treaty, but ended up no sale-ing our yearling gelding. If you don't view horses as a business don't ever expect to make any money at it. You just have to have a sound marketing plan and don't be afraid to bring them home from the sale barn if they don't bring the price you set.

i wish i could buy horses that cheap around here i just got back from the sale barn and the cheapest horse went for 200$
and he was about to die. i bought 3 horses for 800$ each and then my neighbor bought 20 horses for 600 each