cheap hay feeders?

Help Support CattleToday:

milkmaid

Reaction score
What do you folks use? I'm already feeding hay but it's just tossed over the pasture fence onto the ground. No snow here yet. I don't want to bring my cows/calves off pasture and put them in the little pens with bunk feeders - the pens get sloppy fast and it's too early for that. Getting tired of watching my hay get strewn all over the ground and then used as bedding. :lol: :roll:

I don't have enough cows for one of those big round metal feeders - or the equipment to move it, LOL.

I have seen folks take a 16' metal calf panel (those ones with the 6" squares or whatever they are) and cut out a few squares so calves have room to stick their heads through. V e r y cheap and would be nice except that I have cows to feed too and I don't think it would hold up to that.

Some horse folks use a big tractor tire and chuck the hay in - never seen anyone use that for cows though. Would it work? I'm just feeding small bales so I don't need something too big.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

milkmaid":21bkk3m9 said:
What do you folks use? I'm already feeding hay but it's just tossed over the pasture fence onto the ground. No snow here yet. I don't want to bring my cows/calves off pasture and put them in the little pens with bunk feeders - the pens get sloppy fast and it's too early for that. Getting tired of watching my hay get strewn all over the ground and then used as bedding. :lol: :roll:

I don't have enough cows for one of those big round metal feeders - or the equipment to move it, LOL.

I have seen folks take a 16' metal calf panel (those ones with the 6" squares or whatever they are) and cut out a few squares so calves have room to stick their heads through. V e r y cheap and would be nice except that I have cows to feed too and I don't think it would hold up to that.

Some horse folks use a big tractor tire and chuck the hay in - never seen anyone use that for cows though. Would it work? I'm just feeding small bales so I don't need something too big.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

What about taking one of the cattle panels, getting a pair of tin snips (actually on second thought, pliars or bolt-cutters would probably work better :oops: ) and cutting it off to the desired height and then attaching it to a board with small u-clamps on the top, bottom, and maybe middle so you have a rounded hay feeder that is portable? Think that might work? You could probably attach it to a thin, appropriately sized piece of plywood or the like with the same clamps for added stability.

something.jpg

build with any scrap metal you have. 1/2 rebar works good for the hay rack part and something a little heavier for the frame(angle iron, pipe, etc).

You want cheap this is cheap take 3 good sturdy 5-6 inch posts 7ft or better yet 8 ft long .Put them in the ground 3 ft deep Space them 8 ft ft apart. Put 2 0r 3 rails on the bottom leave a space so they can get their heads between the 3 or 4 rails add one more rail above that .Make sure to use sturdy rails 4 inches or so.Here is a crude drawing.the good thing about this is you can feed without going in the pen.

I used to make these 16 ft long with the posts(3) 8 ft apart.

corralfeeder.jpg

We've made a feed fence out of the fence panels (the green corral type), just cut the third rail out so they can get their head through...have also made bunks for the fences out of plastic barrels and 2x6 & 2x8..need to make plywood back stops to keep the hay in the bunk...get ~95% comsumption almost no waste but need to clean the unloading end every week. DMc

I can't believe I'm actually recommending these guys but ......... I would recommend running up to Tractor Supply and buying the 8 ft galvanized bale feeder. They come in 3 pcs that bolt up and not that heavy. My wife and I move it around easily by hand. If you don't have that many cows, it likely it will not get tore up and being galvanized, the thing should last you forever. I paid $114 for one last Summer.

Thanks for the ideas, folks. :) I'll have to see what I can make.

I believe I've seen some of those feed fences when looking at other folks' cattle - good idea - I hadn't thought of that yet. How high does that bottom set of rails need to be so the cows can eat comfortably (without being on their knees, LOL)? And do you have to put up a board along the bottom so the hay doesn't go under the fence while they're eating?

Like the plastic barrel bunk idea too - I assume you'd have to bolt the barrels to the fence so the cows don't move them around? I have a few of those as grain feeders that aren't attached to anything - just pick up and carry to pastures as needed - and I've seen the cows fling them around fighting over the grain. LOL. Not very heavy. I suppose a couple straw bales behind the barrels would work the same as a plywood backstop for keeping hay in?

No Tractor Supply here - hadn't even heard of it before the "tractor supply employees are stupid" post or whatever it was called. :lol: We have a ranch store that carries some feeders, but I checked into the cost of a feeder-type panel (16', I think) and it was $269. If a panel costs that what would a round feeder cost???...So much for that idea. :lol: I don't know how to weld or have the equipment for it or I would try making something out of scrap metal.

Thanks again for the help. ;-)

milkmaid":29ns4yvt said:
Thanks for the ideas, folks. :) I'll have to see what I can make.

I believe I've seen some of those feed fences when looking at other folks' cattle - good idea - I hadn't thought of that yet. How high does that bottom set of rails need to be so the cows can eat comfortably (without being on their knees, LOL)? And do you have to put up a board along the bottom so the hay doesn't go under the fence while they're eating?

If i remember right ,(been almost 20 yrs)I put the rail the cow put her head over about 18 -24 inches high, depending on the size of the cow.I used to roll out a round bale along our feedline feeders, then fork it up to the feeders or When we fed squares we stacked the hay real close.

I like to have a board or rails close together on the bottom to keep some cows from sticking their head under and getting it stuck.

The only drawback to this was the manure tends to build up ,where the animals stand to eat.

If you have a blade or a loader to scrape it out of the way .Its no problem.