Charolais Health

Help Support CattleToday:

BK9954

Reaction score
It seems that people with charolais around me always have problems with pinkeye in adults and pneumonia in their calves. They are always talking about battling it, so it seems. Is this the case with others? Is this possibly due to central Tx? At the last few sales there have been a lot of charolais heifers for sale. Been thinking about grabbing one or two to see how my bull does making smokies. The smokies were going pretty good today. Any opinions?

smokies don't sell good, & when you cross angus & char you get some rattails that sell for a little of nothing. I personally have nothing to do with chars anymore

I have a few angus/char cross cows and breed them back to angus. I bought another heifer today to add to that group. They consistently produce the best calves on my place. Maybe that's just an indictment on my other cattle. :lol2:

Davemk":arrchcnt said:
You can tell the people that actually feed fat cattle on this board. Those calves will yield and grade.
They're just less efficient in the feedyard. I'm referring to rattailed calves not smokies.

jerry27150":1h42kia8 said:
smokies don't sell good, & when you cross angus & char you get some rattails that sell for a little of nothing. I personally have nothing to do with chars anymore
Not sure what "Rat Tails" are, can you explain. The smokies were going for pretty good money today. Charbray were being sold as well. Darn big animals. A little wild, but so were the charolais.

BK9954":2rsawtu6 said:
It seems that people with charolais around me always have problems with pinkeye in adults and pneumonia in their calves. They are always talking about battling it, so it seems. Is this the case with others?

Higher growth animals will be under more stress with less than ideal conditions.
You can vaccinate for both pinkeye and pneumonia. Are they vaccinating?

Yes for sure. Registered stock. Premium. No expense spared. I have toured both operations. They frown on my brangus, always say I should go charlolais. Faster growth.

BK9954":3kzmg2cz said:
Yes for sure. Registered stock. Premium. No expense spared. I have toured both operations. They frown on my brangus, always say I should go charlolais. Faster growth.

Sounds like they have too much growth for the feed and management available.

Rat tails are a Charo. cross with a rat like tail, with not much of a switch. Usually gray in color and usually have some curly hair that doesn't shed off in the summer. Sometimes at the sale barn they will give them away. No calf order buyer would be caught dead with one.

I have a rat tail cow that is a very fine mama cow for what I have in her. She don't look like much, always looks skinny, but brings an average or better black calf to the scales when bred to angus. She is an easy keeper. I would take another dozen just like her if I could buy them cheap enough.

BK9954":h7ez4zpb said:
It seems that people with charolais around me always have problems with pinkeye in adults and pneumonia in their calves. They are always talking about battling it, so it seems. Is this the case with others? Is this possibly due to central Tx? At the last few sales there have been a lot of charolais heifers for sale. Been thinking about grabbing one or two to see how my bull does making smokies. The smokies were going pretty good today. Any opinions?
Pinkeye is lack of fly management just easier to detect it on white cattle.
You can bet they will have it on whatever cattle they own.

BK9954":2m6dzvzd said:
jerry27150":2m6dzvzd said:
Not sure what "Rat Tails" are, can you explain. The smokies were going for pretty good money today. Charbray were being sold as well. Darn big animals. A little wild, but so were the charolais.

Rattail..in the front

I dont remember seeing but really wasnt looking too hard for fly tags. After using them this last year I didnt have any pink eye. I used fly spray as well.

I raised charolais s for quite a few years and never had trouble with pink eye. Always got top dollar for my feeders before the angus craze took over.If you cant beat em -join em. Started using red angus bulls. That was 10 yrs ago.Some of the calves will still show a little charolais influence. They seem to grow faster than the straight red angus.I still like my charolais,but haven't had to pull a calf in years with the angus bulls.

Latest posts