charolais bull calf?

Help Support CattleToday:

Castleman Creek

Reaction score
So the other day I passed up a charolais bull calf that was one day old. The mamma cow was a first calf heifer that would not take him. The guy told me that he gave it colostrum from tractor supply. The calf was not standing yet and weighed about 40 to 50lbs. he was asking a very low price for it. Not being very experienced at this, im not sure if I made a good decision on not buying him. I kinda feel like I passed on a good calf, or a good opportunity. From what little info I have given, what are your thoughts, so I can be more confident in my decision making next time?

Thanks
Billy

Me personally I would have taken it. You not being experienced could have had a bad experience. Don't beat yourself up over it. Your gut obviously had made the decision and its usually right.

I would have got it. one things for certain you learn by doing. just as you came here for opinions you could have got it and got good advice on the calf.

I woulda made him a low ball offer for both the cow and calf and attempted to force the mama to take the calf.

Lazy M, that would have been a good idea, and a very new task for me to tackle. I would have tried it though.

Latest posts