Charolais and milk

Help Support CattleToday:

Ky hills

Reaction score
In another post there was a statement made that Charolais and Limousine never milked. I can't speak about the full bloods but as to the American purebreds at least some of both breeds did in fact milk heavily enough to wean of some big stout calves. I had Charolais from the late 80's through 90's . I easily acknowledge that some did not give much milk at all while others milked so heavily that their calves could not take all the milk for a while.
The few that I had that didn't milk worth a darn were some tall leggy ones from some of the hot show bulls of that time period. The ones that descended from stock bred on some ranches out west were pretty good stock in my opinion. I had some granddaughters of a bull called FZ Mighty Mac 828, that I would say could milk and raise as good of a calf as any maternal breed. A neighbor that joined our farm had Limousins at that same time period and he had some really good looking cattle, but they were a little more skittish than I like. I do agree that those breeds are a better fit as terminal sire breeds, as I think maternal encompasses much more than just milking ability. Been a long time since I was around any Charolais. Some times I wonder what bloodlines are doing well now and if any of the ones I used to rely on are still recognize able. My cows were mostly 828 and Highrise bred. Some of the AI Bulls I used were LT Unlimited Chaps, Schurrtop Intimidator and HEP Alabama.

Brangus are my preference. 10 years or so ago I needed a bull BAD Looked at several that were not worth looking at.

I found a Char our of Wyoming Wind AI project. I took him as a terminal bull to cover my brangus cows. I really liked that bull. Small calves that grew and grew. I wound up keeping a few heifers. They all had good udders. No complaints even tho brangus are my preference.

Charolais & Limousin as a breed came here with poor milk production and poor dispositions (as an average). But, using EPD's and/or common sense, breeders have improved both problems. I'm sure there were exceptions, even back "in the beginning". We have a local PB Charolais breeder that has really mellow dispositions.

I can't answer for full bloods.
I have bought a couple of Charbray they produce lots of milk and grow a huge calf. They have a better looking udder than the F-1 Tigers.
My knock on them with an Angus bull the diluter gene still shows up with the occasional rat tail.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":31u10qyw said:
Charolais & Limousin as a breed came here with poor milk production and poor dispositions (as an average). But, using EPD's and/or common sense, breeders have improved both problems. I'm sure there were exceptions, even back "in the beginning". We have a local PB Charolais breeder that has really mellow dispositions.

I heard many horror stories about Charolais dispositions, and over the years saw some glimpses of it. I had a zero tolerance policy for trouble makers, and lost some money in the process but did not want to knowingly sell as breeding stock or keep a crazy. As a result golfs had a saying that my cattle were broke to push " out of the way that is". Bought some bred heifers once and while I was at school one was having calving trouble. I didn't know they were as wild as they were when hemmed up but a friend who worked for the vet at the time was hurt by her I hate that to this day. I think unfortunately some folks will sell their culls to unsuspecting buyers. That same set of heifers were also some of those poor milkers and hard to get bred ones, Ended up selling all of them as pound cattle within a year.
Only had 1 experience with a Limousin and that was a bull a couple years ago. He was from folks that had bred and showed them for years he was very gentle and calm.

Ky hills":l18b21sd said:
I had Charolais from the late 80's through 90's. I acknowledge that some did not give much milk at all while others
milked so heavily that their calves could not take all the milk for a while.

The few that I had that didn't milk worth a darn were some tall leggy ones from some of the hot show bulls of that
time period. The ones that descended from stock bred on some ranches out west were pretty good
Seems show rings always favor tall cattle over function/performance in all breeds.

Son of Butch":gxlqy56m said:
Ky hills":gxlqy56m said:
I had Charolais from the late 80's through 90's. I acknowledge that some did not give much milk at all while others
milked so heavily that their calves could not take all the milk for a while.

The few that I had that didn't milk worth a darn were some tall leggy ones from some of the hot show bulls of that
time period. The ones that descended from stock bred on some ranches out west were pretty good
Seems show rings always favor tall cattle over function/performance in all breeds.

Back in the early 90's I bought an ET bull from a national champion bull and a reserve national champion female. I thought I was in high cotton but it wasn't as impressive as I thought in the long run. He was if I remember an 11 frame. Calves were big and slow to get going, daughters didn't milk even out of heavy milking cows.

backhoeboogie":2waor76h said:
Brangus are my preference. 10 years or so ago I needed a bull BAD Looked at several that were not worth looking at.

I found a Char our of Wyoming Wind AI project. I took him as a terminal bull to cover my brangus cows. I really liked that bull. Small calves that grew and grew. I wound up keeping a few heifers. They all had good udders. No complaints even tho brangus are my preference.

A friend used a Wyoming Wind bull and liked his calves real well. Wyoming Wind was bred by a ranch that I utilized some of their bulls AI and had good results with, Wyoming Wind came along as I was getting out of Charolais or I'm sure I would have used him as well.

Latest posts