Charbray

Help Support CattleToday:

I had a 189/4 son once. He was a fantastic bull. I never had any calving issues out of brahman cows. My simmental cows were a different ball game. Lost a few and pulled a few calves, lost 1 cow and 1 heifer. A person should use caution when breeding a brahman bull over english or continental cows. I think gestation period is longer on brahman.

Our 189 son was a farm favorite. Great disposition, easy loading, and sired great uddered females. Your calves should grow like weeds, but could be spunky, ( I like charolais have several, but no charbray). We bought our bull at 8 years old and sold him back to the original owner at about 11.

Do you plan to sell the calves for beef or retain some heifers? A hereford would probably work well over that cross.

brimmer X":2zpn6m6v said:
I had a 189/4 son once. He was a fantastic bull. I never had any calving issues out of brahman cows. My simmental cows were a different ball game. Lost a few and pulled a few calves, lost 1 cow and 1 heifer. A person should use caution when breeding a brahman bull over english or continental cows. I think gestation period is longer on brahman.

Our 189 son was a farm favorite. Great disposition, easy loading, and sired great uddered females. Your calves should grow like weeds, but could be spunky, ( I like charolais have several, but no charbray). We bought our bull at 8 years old and sold him back to the original owner at about 11.

Do you plan to sell the calves for beef or retain some heifers? A hereford would probably work well over that cross.
Did you try any simbrah?

brimmer X":2osn05kt said:

Didn't see that when I posted, but I agree completely. Charbray heifers then bred to a Hereford would make some fine calves.

I probably won't buy a bull and will be doinging all Ai so I can pick and choose. I like the charbray/hereford cross, if I end up with a heifer calf I'll probably do just that.

greybeard, I did raise F-1 simbrah. Had some pure blood simmental cows and the V-8 bull. The cross worked well for me. Had a little calving problem using the brahman bull. I have one F-1 simbrah left now. Sold most of my simbrahs during the drought of 2012. They always weaned the biggest calves. Used 3/4 sim-angus bull on them, heck of a calf. I now have mostly bruanvieh and charolais cows, using a hereford bull. The simbrah I have left, has a hereford calf now. She will make one fine moma cow. Maybe I can get a picture of her on here soon.

I really liked the simbra cows, they would follow you anywhere with feed. Maintained condition really well. I have on registered brahman cow left. She was a twin raised here on the farm. Great cow and gentle can pet and scratch anywhere, but a little nervous in the corral. Can't beat a brahman cross for a calf raiser, but you need the right equipment to service them.

I'm not trying to poke fun at you, but if you have trouble moving cattle around as it is, charbray might not be a real good choice for you.

cow pollinater":1lkp0zan said:
I'm not trying to poke fun at you, but if you have trouble moving cattle around as it is, charbray might not be a real good choice for you.

Our problem was trying to move cows that had been on our farm for 6yrs (entire life) and they would not go to the barn w/o trying to tear fence down trying to get back to the bottom (our main pasture). We've never had this problem with new animals we've bought. These old girls had a routine and leaving that pasture wasn't part of it :bang:

I have that problem with a couple of the Charolais here. If those 2 are comfortable where they are (still good grass there) they don't want to leave and will stand next to the fence, or walk it several days trying to get back in once I do move them. They just aren't 'herd followers" I guess. Always the last to get into the pen too.

Calhoun Farm":wxa1235e said:
cow pollinater":wxa1235e said:

Our problem was trying to move cows that had been on our farm for 6yrs (entire life) and they would not go to the barn w/o trying to tear fence down trying to get back to the bottom (our main pasture). We've never had this problem with new animals we've bought. These old girls had a routine and leaving that pasture wasn't part of it :bang:
Start feeding cubes, then make them travel a little ways for them, then get them wherever you want them with cubes.

I don't have a herd that won't follow me anywhere at anytime for a empty cube bag.

My cows follow me anywhere for cubes or bread. They love bread!I have tamed several real wild ones with bread.

Latest posts