Char/Brangus Cross Heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

Brute 23":3qyn0obj said:
......And a solid white or solid black wouldn't? Those calves are bringing top dollar because they are good quality. It doesn't make a difference to me. The guy asked and I gave my opinion.
and because of the charolais...the buyers are figuring in more pounds on the other end

I still would not put a staight Hereford across them. One Brangus and one Char Bull. What favored Brangus would stay at home with me what looked Char would go to the auction. You can call it preference, stereotyping, ignorance :D ..... what ever. Thats what I would do. ;-)

I'd say it would depend entirely on the parent cattle that go into it. I have a few moderate framed char cows that are good efficient mommas and a few brangus cows that are the same way... I've also culled big framey chars and a few brangus that just don't hold up well in my country.

houstoncutter":2sj9lcpl said:
Brute 23":2sj9lcpl said:
There is nothing to gain with the Herford. Put a Char, Brangus, or Angus back across them.

Think I will disagree with that statement, if nothing else they will be getting more of a hybrid kick out of the Hereford than out of the Char or Brangus. The Angus hybrid kick would be the same as the Hereford. Futhermore you will be most likely getting a nice white face calf that sells well in most markets for both terminal beef as well as replacement heifers.

yep! HC, you need to "coin" that kick phrase...! :)

I chuckled at that kick phrase myself.
Ole HC is a pretty sharp kinda like a rat turd pointed on both end's. :lol:
Now if Isom would have said it, I would have figured he had got into the branch water again.

Caustic Burno said:
Now if Isom would have said it, I would have figured he had got into the branch water again.[/quote

I cannot take credit for the term hybrid kick. I heard it use many years ago by a professor from "the school of the wayward and homeless boys". Known to some as TexasA&M. Think it was Dr Redmon, but its been way to many years for my clouded brain to be sure.

Lol, how could I possible comment on Caustic's rapier wit, but I do have a suggestion...being as your hanging out so far back in the woods that they have to pipe in. Sell some of that Humble Oil & Gas stock, and buy yourself a pair of flip flops. That way those sharp pointed turds wont hurt those bare feet, and they will look stylish with your overhalls... :hide: :hide: :hide:

What kind of calves do you think I will get if I breed these heifers to a Red Angus? The reason for me asking is these girls are not ready to breed yet, and I am trying to decide on what breed of bull would work best, and I recently found some pretty good red angus.

houstoncutter":1zcv4pyt said:
Caustic Burno":1zcv4pyt said:
Now if Isom would have said it, I would have figured he had got into the branch water again.[/quote

I cannot take credit for the term hybrid kick. I heard it use many years ago by a professor from "the school of the wayward and homeless boys". Known to some as TexasA&M. Think it was Dr Redmon, but its been way to many years for my clouded brain to be sure.

Lol, how could I possible comment on Caustic's rapier wit, but I do have a suggestion...being as your hanging out so far back in the woods that they have to pipe in. Sell some of that Humble Oil & Gas stock, and buy yourself a pair of flip flops. That way those sharp pointed turds wont hurt those bare feet, and they will look stylish with your overhalls... :hide: :hide: :hide:

I bet those would look good with my cut off bib's, more stylish than my boot's.

W-5":1h42nvly said:
What kind of calves do you think I will get if I breed these heifers to a Red Angus? The reason for me asking is these girls are not ready to breed yet, and I am trying to decide on what breed of bull would work best, and I recently found some pretty good red angus.

I don't see any bang there IMO. I would want to put a black bull back on those girls.

Why does everyone keep ASSUMING that the Char in them will make them big 2000lb cows?!?! MARC has recorded average mature cow size by breed. Looking at average mature weights of four-year old cows at the U.S. MARC showed Simmentals with the largest average cow herd size (1,353 lbs), followed by Hereford (1,348 lbs), Angus (1,342 lbs), Charolais (1,339 lbs), Limousin (1,330 lbs), and Gelbvieh (1,282 lbs).

http://www.farmandranchguide.com/featur ... 8133d.html

Massey135":1icgzk5f said:
Why does everyone keep ASSUMING that the Char in them will make them big 2000lb cows?!?! MARC has recorded average mature cow size by breed. Looking at average mature weights of four-year old cows at the U.S. MARC showed Simmentals with the largest average cow herd size (1,353 lbs), followed by Hereford (1,348 lbs), Angus (1,342 lbs), Charolais (1,339 lbs), Limousin (1,330 lbs), and Gelbvieh (1,282 lbs).

http://www.farmandranchguide.com/featur ... 8133d.html

i'm not a big fan of char cows, but the one char cross I have only wgts in at around 1100lbs. Shes is an easy keeper, and stays in good condtion.

Latest posts