Changing Seasons.

Help Support CattleToday:

Scotty

Reaction score
Some of my cows I was thinking of hold off and letting them go from calving in May to calving in Sept and Oct. Give me what you guys and gals think are the pros and cons.

Before I attempt to give my opinion and try to answer your question, I'll ask a question of my own: Why are you wanting to hold some of your cows over to calve in the fall? I'm assuming for 1 of the following reasons:

Said cows are "stragglers" at the end of the calving season and you want to move them back to the front of the next calving season

OR:

You've never had a fall calving season and would like to give it a try.

If there is some other reason, please fill us in. It might make a difference in the answer you get from some people.

One is a straggler. I had no season to speek of this year becasue I moved and she slipped a calve or just bred late. She usually breeds right on time but not this year. I have two that are spring calvers and are going to be flushed until middle of June. I did not want to breed them so late and wanted to start a fall herd. Also they are bred more show type and thought of breeding for some show cattle. To fit the market around here calves are prefered to be born Aug to Oct. Why? IMO it gives me another marketing opportunity.

Sounds to me like you've already thought it through and made the right decision IMO.

We've always had 2 calving seasons. IMO it helps ease the pain on the pocket book if a cow slips back a season if you have 2 seasons. If you only calve once a year and have a cow that slips, you have to think real hard about whether or not it's worth it to feed her that next year with no calf.

You Loose Time Time=Money
You Can Do What You Said Or Breed Them And Sell Them And Put That Toward Bred Cows Due To Calve In The Fall

It only depends on what they are going to bring at the sale barn or where ever you sell them. What they will weigh and what the price is.

Latest posts