changing calving season

Help Support CattleToday:

KNERSIE

Reaction score
I currently calve in two seasons, one starting 1 Oct and the other 1 May. Due to the herd growing and more demands on my time as my dad grows older (70 next year) I plan to move the Oct herd also to May. I simply don't have the time to heat detect as I would like in the fruit season. And also the growing numbers place strain on my summer grazing. I only want young stock on pastures during the dry summers and the dry cows can stay on the veld. At the moment it happens that the young stock spend their summers in harsh conditions on the veld when the grazing is scarce at best because the Oct herd is on pasture in the summer. This way I'll be able to run more cows as winter pasture usually is no problem. Another factor is that the calves will be weaned when conditions are at its best and the weaning shock should be minimal.

I have read often about cows suffering from cystic ovaries if left open for too long. How big a concern is this and would a simple shot of PGF2 be sufficient in preventing the problem. Would it be an option to leave their last batch of Oct calves (due this Oct) on them longer till shortly before breeding them around 20 June to prevent them getting too fat in the rain season?

Is there other considerations that I haven't thought of? The plan is to eventually start calving in April and have only one calving season, so this lot will actually be bred +- 20 June 2008 after they have calved October 2007.

Latest posts