chairs scratched

Help Support CattleToday:

Carlos D.

Reaction score
My wife bought a pretty nice kitchen set made out of wood --My daughter sat in 2 chairs with big buttons on her jeans and left some good scratches --anyone know an easy way to take them out ?

thanks

carl

Don't fix them - When my daughter was cutting her teeth, many many years ago, she used my guitar for a teether. I have never and will never polish them out - too many fond memories.

cover them with a pillow. You wont see them and it wont happen again. Pretty you soon you will forget they are their and cna move on to other little iritants. :lol:

Formby's makes a product that is supposed to work well. Formby's can be purchased at Wal-Mart, and hardware stores.

Wet them and then hit them with a hair dryer on hot. If the scratches are light you can indeed use Formby's as previously suggested. If not, better do what Paint suggested.

All good advise given here . Consider the finish thats on the chairs first ... sometimes in an effort to repair the scratches you wind up doing more damage and its REALLY noticable .

I have used the steam method on gun stocks and it works good , but remember you can damage the surrounding finish if you try it . A wet cloth and your wife's iron ( dont tell her what you are going to do though ;-) ) sometimes can raise the damaged wood , but I'm assuming it just scratched the finish not damaged the wood fibers . Be very careful .

Old English if its a dark wood works good . Or any of the other products mentioned .

If you live around a refinisher , I would let him take a look at it before I did anything . Sometimes you're better off just living with it .

I have, on occasion, used lighter fluid to take out hammer dings in pressure treated wood. I don't think I would use this on a finished piece, though.

I was told vinegar on a cotton wool pad works well on light woods, but try underneath first or on the lower leg where you can't see it, to make sure it doesn't take the finish off. if it works, polish with a soft cloth and wax polish to bring back the shine.

Carlos,

What type of finish is on the chairs?? Do they have a varnish or shellac finish or maybe a coat of polyurethane on them??

I refinished the wifes table in the breakfast room last year. Used a Minwax polyshades in red oak to refinish. Needless to say, I scratched the table cleaning one of my guns later. The scratch was not real deep and went with the grain of the wood. I just covered it up with the stuff I put on originally.
Can't really see the scratch anymore.

If your chairs are finished in something similar, maybe you can find a stain or polyurethane that closely matches the chairs color.

Hope this helps.

Jack

When I worked in a furniture store in the early 70s, we often used Crayons for scratch repair. It still works, my almost 3yr-old grandaughter uses it on their walls, baseboard and trim, etc. :)

Latest posts