Chainsaw Repair 101

Help Support CattleToday:

jltrent

Reaction score
A neighbor dropped off a couple saws to fix this evening. Well I disassembled the Stihl MS250 to see what was needed to get it fixed.

Someone had already tried to fix it.....

The guy destroyed the flywheel getting it off (broke the fixed key inside and a couple fins off. Looks like he stuck a screwdriver or something in the exhaust hole to foul the piston to get either the flywheel nut off or clutch. The top ring grove on the piston is mashed in and the liner about the exhaust hole in the cylinder is bent. (cylinder and piston are junk) Probably when he was putting what he got apart back together stripped a couple threads where screws go. He lost the large washer behind the clutch and the intake flange. As best I can tell all that was wrong with the saw was a $6 impulse line.

The second saw a Stihl MS210 had the breather/vent straw on top of the tank broke off below top cover. The dealer quoted him a complete case replacement plus labor at almost new chainsaw cost.

I fixed the MS210 better than new in about 15 minutes by opening the hole up just a size smaller than the USA tygon fuel hose an mounted a duckbill breather on top.

His MS250 will be a good runner again as I have some good used parts to fix. It will be well worth fixing. I wish I could have got a hold of it first. He did take it to a dealer repairman and cost estimate was more than he wanted to pay.

sstterry said:
Off-topic, but I wanted to say that Jonsered you recommended last year that was on discount is really a dandy saw. I like it just about as much as my Sthil.
That saw is the same saw as a Husqvarna 450, if I remember correctly the one you got, and they sell at TSC for $399...side by side engine speed on those are faster than most Stihls. I bought a couple CS 2171 then which are still setting on a shelf unused that I can get close to doubling my money right now. It is pretty much the same saw as the Husqvarna 372XP that goes for $800 power head only. I wish I had bought more.

Latest posts