CHA' CHING

Help Support CattleToday:

\/(-_-)\/showman

Reaction score
This is my 09 steer he is a Dregar calf (3rd in sale :banana: ). I want to know other peoples opionions because me and my family only see the good in him ;-) . The pictures are a little dark and i will try to get some more latter this week. All of them have been taken 1 day ago (4/5/09). He is going to show in 1st week of august and wieghs 979 lbs. (weighed 4/4/09). Please tell me all the faults in him and all your complements. i want to know your full opionion.

thanks

P1010021-2.jpg

P1010019-1.jpg

P1010018.jpg

P1010010-1.jpg

P1010020.jpg

P1010029.jpg

P1010030-2.jpg

P1010026.jpg

I think he'll be very hard to beat, he is quite heavy and in very good condition already so be carefull of overconditioning him. Hard to tell from the dark photos, but he is maybe just a touch shallow in the shoulder, but that shouldn't count against him in a steer show.

What state are you from? Your ground looks sandy. He's an better than average calf. I don't like his rear leg set. In Iowa, he'd be middle of the pack at best.

iowahawkeyes":358fgrlc said:
What state are you from? Your ground looks sandy. He's an better than average calf. I don't like his rear leg set. In Iowa, he'd be middle of the pack at best.

I also noticed it, the little extra set usually goes hand in hand with a shallow shoulder, I still don't think that it should count much against him in a terminal steer show. FWIW I'd rather work with a little too much set than a posty animal.

im from new mexico. ive only gone to one jackpot. and he was class champion.
judge didnt have anything bad to say about his confurmation, the steer just wouldnt walk and had to have the kid behind me tapping him to get him going. I've been working really hard with him and just had tag in, he did just fine, no one had to touch him so im in the right direction.

ive heard people say, the pictures dont do the animal justice. i couldnt set up the back wide enough to my standerds. i will be working with him on this. some of the profile shots make him look weird, looks like the off side legg is bent. Dont know why maybe its the angle, is this what your talking about or is there somthing else your seeing. is there somthing i can do to him like set him up diffrent?

Also when you say there is a problem behinde his shoulders can you tell me what you mean by that too. Maybe i clipped him too tight there? please give me more feedback this is helping a great deal. :D

im having a hard time understanding what you guys are talking about with the extra set? is this a natrural born thing that you can't change or can it be clipped or positioned difrent. he has alot of hair on his body that i can work with. he wasn't fit out for the pics either all we did was blow dry him and brush. so i have alot to work with. could it it be becuase he's on a slight slope and leaning on his shoulders?

thanks for the coments so far its opening my eyes

He's ok. He does have to much curve in his hock. The heavier he gets the worse it will get. Other than that he's weak topped, shallow flanked, rough shouldered and needs a new halter. If u set that calf any wider than u have him in the pic your going to break him down and hurt ur chances at doing good. I don't know how New Mexico comp. is but like hawk said, hes a middle at best calf in Texas.

I have seen allot worse, and not many better posted on here. He is a good looking steer; He looks like he is on a slope, in most of the pictures, which could skew the way his legs set. I do not see a show stick so that is his natural stance, with some work with the stick he would even looks better, you can help his top line and his leg set just by getting him set-up correctly on flat ground.

A good clip job will do wonders too.

I find it funny how you mostly either get positive or negative from most folks, Knersie is one of the few who gives you both the good and the bad when it comes to feedback.

Eric and Zane have some good calves.

Good luck

VCC":3lo9ykey said:
I have seen allot worse, and not many better posted on here. He is a good looking steer; He looks like he is on a slope, in most of the pictures, which could skew the way his legs set. I do not see a show stick so that is his natural stance, with some work with the stick he would even looks better, you can help his top line and his leg set just by getting him set-up correctly on flat ground.

I find it funny how you mostly either get positive or negative from most folks, Knersie is one of the few who gives you both the good and the bad when it comes to feedback.

Eric and Zane have some good calves.

Good luck

I seem to remember posting a few pics of my calves on here. I give comments on a indivdual animal basis. I comment a good calf with his good traits and then find the holes which is usually not that hard on here.

Cowboy 2.0":20rogb7b said:
He does have to much curve in his hock.

That's called sickle hocked, and he's sure got it. Won't carry much more weight on legs like that.

My concern is that he looks right to kill now, to hold him back until August- well, that's a bit of work, and don't know that it will be any good for meat quality (if you guys are even worried about that).

Good steer, but he's where he needs to be to eat now. How old is he?

Killala":1uoew8oe said:
Cowboy 2.0":1uoew8oe said:
He does have to much curve in his hock.

That's called sickle hocked, and he's sure got it. Won't carry much more weight on legs like that.

My concern is that he looks right to kill now, to hold him back until August- well, that's a bit of work, and don't know that it will be any good for meat quality (if you guys are even worried about that).

Good steer, but he's where he needs to be to eat now. How old is he?

Knew the word was just too tired to think of it. 8) At that weight he's a little heavy for the shows here but it can be done.

Work on seeing if you can get him to extend his head instead of pulling back; that may help how he's standing. He looks like he's got a fair amount of hair on his legs, you'll be able to build his legs to straighten their appearance a bit more. I think he's got a nice, wide set to his legs, not twisted in or out.

If he gains 100 lbs/month from now until your show in August he'll weigh about 1375, that's a desirable weight around here, in Ohio. If it gets real hot, he may not gain that much, so keep an eye on him. I think he'll be competive for you, especially since you did well at the jackpot.

VCC":a5yxhskn said:

Good luck

Good eye VCC, would like to see this steer presented better. I feel the best pic is the first one and hope to see more pics and updates in the future. All in all, not too bad of a job on trying to get pic's posted on the forum. Keep up the good work and for all its worth, I wouldn't kick that steer out of my barn ;-) :lol:

he does look slightly sickle hocked but it might just be the way he is standing, if you got him on a good slope and set up he might be OK. I can tell you have worked hard with him. How old is he? I would worry about him getting too heavy before the show-you have a ways to go. What is your target weight? Get a good plan established for how you are going to feed him for the next few months so he doesn't get too big.

he's a late feb. calf his about 14 months. chris got it right im planning on having him 1350-1450 lbs.im holding for 1400. calves in my fair that take grand are always in class 5 witch is 1350-1450 lbs.

LoveMoo11":2szhex5p said:
he does look slightly sickle hocked but it might just be the way he is standing, if you got him on a good slope and set up he might be OK.
Sorry love, he most definitely is sickle hocked, and not just slightly.

At 1300#s he wont be able to get around the ring with his rear leg set. At that weight he will definately be up under himself. No ammout of foot trimming or walking will correct his structure.

i think he has to much flex in his fron and back legs. your going to have to pull his legs extreamly well to get rid of that.

im just glad both judges didnt notice this photographic fault, nor did any of the exebitors. thanks for bringing this to my attension i would hate for my fair photos to look horible.i will keep this in mind and i thank everyone for their constuctive criticism.

thank you for the comments i will work on it.

im glad he has tons of hair.

Your steer stands nice & wide - front & back. Everyone is jumping on him being sickle hocked :shock: Sorry, I realize I'm not in the steer business, but the only thing I can say is he is not super POST LEGGED like most of the winning steers I see. Which is good (NOT post legged that is).
His front feet are set a little too far forward. He "looks" like he is leaning back, which is setting his front feet too far forward, and putting more "set" to his rear legs. "Set" meaning sickle hocked (more bend than the norm). His age & weight is right on target. Keep up the good work.
He has about the right "set" for my taste.
Really nice muscled - good luck with him. Keep us posted.

Latest posts