CFIA COMPLETES BSE INVESTIGATION OTTAWA

Help Support CattleToday:

frenchie

Reaction score
: CFIA COMPLETES BSE INVESTIGATION OTTAWA, March 3, 2006
Date: March 3, 2006 at 12:38 pm PST

CFIA COMPLETES BSE INVESTIGATION
OTTAWA, March 3, 2006 - The Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) has concluded its investigation into the case of bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE) confirmed on January 22, 2006. No additional cases of the disease were detected during the investigation.

The investigation traced two of the affected animal's offspring and 156 cattle born on the farm of origin within 12 months before and after the affected animal's birth.

The CFIA considered several potential sources of infection, of which contaminated feed was the most probable. Investigators examined what the affected animal may have consumed early in its life when cattle are most susceptible to the BSE agent. Although a definitive origin could not be confirmed, the CFIA believes that the animal's feed was likely contaminated during its manufacture, transport or storage. This conclusion is consistent with the experiences of most BSE-affected countries where BSE continues to be detected, in diminishing numbers, in animals born after the implementation of feed controls.

Canada's feed ban is designed to limit BSE spread and eventually eradicate the disease, despite the potential occurrence of random cases over time. The CFIA is committed to continuously improve Canada's BSE safeguards and, in line with this goal, will further strengthen its capacity to verify that the feed ban is being properly applied in commercial feed mills and rendering plants.

In addition, education and awareness activities will continue and be enhanced to remind renderers, feed mills, transporters, feed retailers and cattle producers of their responsibilities under the feed ban. The campaign builds on previous communications to industry and will emphasize the importance of consistently and strictly applying controls to limit feed contamination at the production, retail and farm levels.

Food safety is protected through the removal of specified risk materials (SRM) from every animal slaughtered in Canada for human consumption. SRM are those tissues that, in infected cattle, are known to harbour the BSE agent. This key safeguard is internationally recognized as the most effective way to protect public health from BSE.

The CFIA has proposed regulatory amendments to the feed ban that would also remove SRM from all animal feeds. These enhancements would allow Canada to more rapidly eradicate BSE by futher reducing the risk of contamination in the feed production system and on farms.

A complete summary of the investigation is available on the CFIA's Website.

- 30 -

For information:

Canadian Food Inspection Agency
Media Relations: (613) 228-6682

http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/cor ... 303e.shtml

[/b]

The CFIA considered several potential sources of infection, of which contaminated feed was the most probable.
--------------------------------------

That now makes 2 Post feedban cattle that have been found in Canada- both from the same BSE cluster area-both believed to have been fed tainted feed- this one born almost 2 years after Canada's feedban went into effect....

No wonder many cattlemen and some cattlemen groups have questioned how well Canadas feedban has been enforced or followed....And it is quite obvious why all the cattle producer organizations (NCBA, R-CALF, Farmers Union, and Farm Bureau) are opposed to the US dropping any more import restrictions and allowing in OTM cattle or beef from Canada.......

Oldtimer":wn51roa4 said:
The CFIA considered several potential sources of infection, of which contaminated feed was the most probable.

That now makes 2 Post feedban cattle that have been found in Canada- both from the same BSE cluster area-both believed to have been fed tainted feed- this one born almost 2 years after Canada's feedban went into effect....

No wonder many cattlemen and some cattlemen groups have questioned how well Canadas feedban has been enforced or followed....And it is quite obvious why all the cattle producer organizations (NCBA, R-CALF, Farmers Union, and Farm Bureau) are opposed to the US dropping any more import restrictions and allowing in OTM cattle or beef from Canada.......

Jeepers Oldtimer!

You and I both know there have been violations on both sides of the border - so - let's not start up with the "organizations that will save us" stuff. And please let's stay out of the holier than thou attitude.

What you may or may not know is how rabid the cattle producers are on this side of the border now. As a feed provider DO NOT think of violating the ban - if the producers ever suspect, it will be those same producers that will do you in. In a heart beat.

Do you have that on your side of the border? Or that attitude from producers? All those folks down there in your part of the world banning chicken manure feeding yet?

Perhaps and perhaps not.

In the old days we actually were foolish enough to trust feed outlets - most of whom were honest enough to begin with. A few bad apples did some of us in.

And to boot - is the feed the problem? Science says yes but I am still not sure. So mine get grass, mineral and HOME grown grain only - and we hope and pray it does not happen to us.

I personally give a Schitzen if we ever ship an animal south of the border again and I know you would be happy with that. But your "Canuck Feed B.S." deserves a southern look as well. And you know it.

Be thankful the average Canuck cattleman here is being open and honest about the cases that come up as well as striving to ensure there is NO banned item in their own cattle feed - we have everything to lose - and we know we have to get this solved.

Time you started doing three things for some of us - on both sides of the border:

1. Stop making us all out to be effin' bandits.
2. Start realizing it hurts us all - yeah, even you.
3. Look inward as well as outward when you point fingers.

Thanks,

Bez!

Bez- You need to go over to ranchers.net and talk to BSE tester (New Creekstone Proposal thread)...He's from Edmonton and claims CFIA's enforcement has been abysmal-- and that it has no teeth....He claims that two Canadian feed companies are still putting animal protein in cattle feed...He has the names-- you might want to check on them- As I don't really have a dog in that fight as long as the border stays closed---BUT I do want people down south of the 49th to be aware of the problem Canada has so that this summer when the USDA again overlooks the safety and US herd health issue to support the Packers short term gain, we can summon enough legislative support to again shut the border to OTM's like the Senate did before....

The CFIA has proposed regulatory amendments to the feed ban that would also remove SRM from all animal feeds. These enhancements would allow Canada to more rapidly eradicate BSE by futher reducing the risk of contamination in the feed production system and on farms.

Bez- You question our feed ban--Has these proposed regulatory amendments Canada proposed in 2004 been implemented?

The answer is NO-- The same Big Corporate Packing, Dairy, and Poultry industry money has stopped them from being put in place in either country....

Oldtimer":3vznrwub said:
Bez- You need to go over to ranchers.net and talk to BSE tester (New Creekstone Proposal thread)...He's from Edmonton and claims CFIA's enforcement has been abysmal-- and that it has no teeth....He claims that two Canadian feed companies are still putting animal protein in cattle feed...He has the names-- you might want to check on them- As I don't really have a dog in that fight as long as the border stays closed---BUT I do want people down south of the 49th to be aware of the problem Canada has so that this summer when the USDA again overlooks the safety and US herd health issue to support the Packers short term gain, we can summon enough legislative support to again shut the border to OTM's like the Senate did before....

Bez- You question our feed ban--Has these proposed regulatory amendments Canada proposed in 2004 been implemented?

The answer is NO-- The same Big Corporate Packing, Dairy, and Poultry industry money has stopped them from being put in place in either country....

So essentially you are telling me that you have the same problems as us.

And yet we are the @ssholes of the earth by your comments?

I usually stay well out of this fight as you well know because I have always stated flat out that we BOTH have serious problems that need to be addressed.

I have contacted the writer you mentioned on Ranchers - will go to the source.

I am well and truly tired of hearing just how bad WE are when you know and now seem to admit it is the same or worse on the south side of the border.

What I look for is fairness in your commentary - to date I am not so sure I am seeing this.

Provide this in future please and I once again will step out of the discussion.

Bez!

OT

While at supper tonight I had a small thought. All I am capable of as I am just a fat old grey haired guy with little intelligence.

All of this info about Canadian feed mill operations disregarding feed bans with abandon that you have passed on to me with apparent glee ...

Is this feed that is going to cattle?

Or is this feed to other animal types? Which as you well know - on both sides of the border is legal at present.

If you do not know, is there any reason for you to post as if you do? Seems possibly a sly comment at the word of someone who has yet to be identified.

If you do have any information about what use this feed is intended for - and I do not, so have attempted to contact your mysterious person - to no avail at this time - would you please provide?

Obviously this information would be vital to someone in my business.

Thank you

Bez!

Oldtimer":19pdr816 said:
Bez- You need to go over to ranchers.net and talk to BSE tester (New Creekstone Proposal thread)...He's from Edmonton and claims CFIA's enforcement has been abysmal-- and that it has no teeth....He claims that two Canadian feed companies are still putting animal protein in cattle feed...

Ot he does not say that at all...he does not specific it as cattle feed.

[/quote]

frenchie":1ig554pa said:
Oldtimer":1ig554pa said:
Bez- You need to go over to ranchers.net and talk to BSE tester (New Creekstone Proposal thread)...He's from Edmonton and claims CFIA's enforcement has been abysmal-- and that it has no teeth....He claims that two Canadian feed companies are still putting animal protein in cattle feed...

[/quote]

frenchie

As I stated I am a simple old man and my belt is far too long. As my hair has turned grey and my walk is getting unsteady I will give OT the benefit of the doubt - for the moment.

I have also sent a signal to the supposed person in Canada that OT has identified as the bearer of the sordid truth.

I have asked the question directly to this person. If I get an answer, I will pursue it further. Anyone can make a statement on the "net". For it to be truly valid that statement needs to be backed up with fact.

If I do indeed get the names of these corporations I intend to speak directly with the president of each business and find out the truth.

I am in no hurry to fight. But I do like to know the truth of the matter - not interested in innuendo and not interested in rumour and not interested in opinion. Here for once I am interested in facts.

If OT has any honour he will respond with truth - no different than I have asked him.

Time will tell.

Bez!

Oldtimer":190w7a4b said:

Ot there are likely many ways for clean feed that was produced after the feed ban to get contaiminated.storage facilities,feed trucks , feed transfer equipment.Even the feeding space itself.

Bez!":abkqg4fi said:
frenchie":abkqg4fi said:
Oldtimer":abkqg4fi said:

frenchie

As I stated I am a simple old man and my belt is far too long. As my hair has turned grey and my walk is getting unsteady I will give OT the benefit of the doubt - for the moment.

I have also sent a signal to the supposed person in Canada that OT has identified as the bearer of the sordid truth.

I have asked the question directly to this person. If I get an answer, I will pursue it further. Anyone can make a statement on the "net". For it to be truly valid that statement needs to be backed up with fact.

If I do indeed get the names of these corporations I intend to speak directly with the president of each business and find out the truth.

I am in no hurry to fight. But I do like to know the truth of the matter - not interested in innuendo and not interested in rumour and not interested in opinion. Here for once I am interested in facts.

If OT has any honour he will respond with truth - no different than I have asked him.

Time will tell.

Bez![/quote]

honour :lol:from ranchersnet...
Oldtimer":abkqg4fi said:
Bill":abkqg4fi said:
BSE testers post above:

Two Feed Suppliers in Northern Alberta are still - that is AS I WRITE THIS - providing feed with animal protein in it!!

Oldtimers post regarding this comment on Cattle Today: http://cattletoday.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19462

Here's a tidbit you may want to file Oldtimer it is a RUMINENT to RUMINENT feed ban.

I hope you just read it wrong and aren't lieing to the good people at Cattle Today Oldtimer. (Nahhhh you wouldn't do that! :oops: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:)

BSE Tester
As for the two feed suppliers in Alberta - they are using protein from cattle, pigs and other animals. It is common knowledge up north and plus the fact they admitted it at more than one cattlemen's meeting held this past year. Like money, not all corporations are clean.

This kind of fits what weve been hearing down here- that a lot of the Canucks don't believe in the feed ban or the feed transmission theory and are still feeding it- NO matter what animal or parts are in it- as long as its cheap........May account for the reason all the positives are coming from a cluster area....

This would be a good mission for you and Tam--Go check this out...Might be the biggest thing the Canadian Stockgrowers Associations ever did...Besides it might get Tam off the bottle- or pills or whatever the lady is on lately :wink: ....

Perhaps I can understand why you are jaded - I live in this world as well - and have lost more than almost anyone I know.

But I have asked him - man to man - for a straight up answer with no bull schitzen, no word twisting, no falsification - real or imagined and no politics.

No different than standing in front of him and looking him square in the eye.

Generally speaking a person does this you can bet your @ss the answer will be straight up.

If I did this to you, I would bet a load of cattle that I would get a reply straight up - I figure he might be in the same game.

As I said - I will wait for his response. Then I will decide.

Bez!

Flounder

Quite frankly I did not read this - too long and involved. If you cannot summarize please do not bother.

Thanks

Bez!

Bez!":26d0j8rn said:
Perhaps I can understand why you are jaded - I live in this world as well - and have lost more than almost anyone I know.

But I have asked him - man to man - for a straight up answer with no bull schitzen, no word twisting, no falsification - real or imagined and no politics.

Generally speaking a person does this you can bet your @ss the answer will be straight up.

If I did this to you, I would bet a load of cattle that I would get a reply straight up - I figure he might be in the same game.

Bez!

Oldtimer - I gave you the benefit of the doubt and perhaps you did not read the request - but I know you are on line tonight.

Wanna' give it a go?

By the way I have been in touch with one of the suspected operations you hinted about.

I am told I will receive an answer from them. If and when I do, I wil let you know.

I am so tired of all the back and forth BS - glee and righteous indignation from some. So, just the facts please.

Regards,

Bez!

Bez!":34jpzd31 said:
Bez!":34jpzd31 said:

Bez!

Oldtimer - I gave you the benefit of the doubt and perhaps you did not read the request - but I know you are on line tonight.

Wanna' give it a go?

By the way I have been in touch with one of the suspected operations you hinted about.

I am told I will receive an answer from them. If and when I do, I wil let you know.

I am so tired of all the back and forth BS - glee and righteous indignation from some. So, just the facts please.

Regards,

Bez!

Bez- been a little busy- then missed your post before flounders...I just found these statements by a Canadian scientist to be quite interesting- especially when they were identical to what R-CALF has been saying is happening in Alberta..Feed ban violations that they said they had evidence of to present at trial- enough evidence that a Federal Judge isssued an injunction- but as we know- Canadians, Packers, USDA, NCBA, did not want to hear evidence and was able to get the court order squashed without going to trial...

Remember- the Appellate court never ruled against the evidence- they just ruled that no one has oversight over the USDA....It may have been interesting to both Canadians and Americans if it went to trial and the feed violations could have been brought out under oath...

I will be interested to hear what info you find out- but wish the evidence R-CALF claims they had could come to light also...

Oldtimer":1r1bizgj said:
Bez!":1r1bizgj said:
Bez!":1r1bizgj said:

Bez!

Wanna' give it a go?

Regards,

Bez!

Bez- been a little busy- then missed your post before flounders...I just found these statements by a Canadian scientist to be quite interesting- especially when they were identical to what R-CALF has been saying is happening in Alberta..Feed ban violations that they said they had evidence of to present at trial- enough evidence that a Federal Judge isssued an injunction- but as we know- Canadians, Packers, USDA, NCBA, did not want to hear evidence and was able to get the court order squashed without going to trial...

Remember- the Appellate court never ruled against the evidence- they just ruled that no one has oversight over the USDA....It may have been interesting to both Canadians and Americans if it went to trial and the feed violations could have been brought out under oath...

I will be interested to hear what info you find out- but wish the evidence R-CALF claims they had could come to light also...

Rumours and innuendos only at this time - received info from a friend who followed up on the "feedmills" rumoured to be doing bad things.

The phone call resulted in an invite from th plant manager to come on down and do your own inspection - info was vehemently denied. Seems tome there is a schitzen disturber who most likely is spreading false tales.

I am out of this discussion - it will simply go round and round and become a "he said she said". No truth or constructive info in this scenario. Despite the so called feed violations rumours, it appears there is a strong move afoot by feed operations to comply. In fact there are folks who would love to create rumours about our "failure" rather than trumpet the news of our "success"

Do not care about your USDA - but our CFIA has been very transparent to us and to the world.

There will be some who attempt to go and create tales - but to date CFIA have done an excellent job in my opinion.

Regards,

Bez!

Oldtimer":1wthu1af said:

Heres your golden opportunity to bring it out..so we could deal with it.

Names please.

flounder":3kjrl8me said:
bez writes;

Flounder

Quite frankly I did not read this - too long and involved. If you cannot summarize please do not bother.

Thanks

Bez!

bez also writes;

I live in this world as well - and have lost more than almost anyone I know.

===================

hey bez, do you see your problem? you lost more than most everyone because you have your head in the sand. you answered your own problem. you will continue to loose everything until you pull your head out of your...sand :lol:

Thank you for your vote of confidence.

for a change, why dont you roll the dice and try reading the sound science, not the political science you are use to. you seem offended about bse-tester not giving you some name of 2 companies still using animal protein.

You obviously do not know me - I have the names - your comment - "offended" is laughable.

be nice, why stop at just those 2. what i posted went further than that down here in Texas. it shows a mad cow cover-up and cattle on mad cow feed of up to 5.5 grams and the FDA said that was o.k. now this was back in 2001. but from 2001 to end of 2005, i can show you rtr violation after violation after violation here in the USA, up to dec 2005. the june 2004 enhanced bse coverup old johanns/dehaven are so proud of, is being laughed at all around the globe, and at your expense.

I already know most of this - are you going to bring something new to the table?

Canada BSE GBR mirrors that of USA. when folks like yourself wake up and realize me and some of the others are not your enemy, and start to go back and blame the one that got you here i.e. USDA/FSIS/CFIA/OIE,
then maybe you can get your life back. bury someone from this be nice though, you never do...............mom dod 12/14/97 hvCJD

When did I call you the enemy? For that matter, when did I insinuate you were the enemy?

I would suggest that I - probably more than most have stayed fairly neutral on the subject of lies, innuendos and deceit.

I also give a damn any more - we have moved completely off of manufactured feed and we have moved completely off of selling to the feeders. We are now out the farm gate to the public - direct - direct.

Far as I am concerned those who ride the wave of bse rumour and bse slander are simply a bunch of @ss holes out there trying to stir the pot and at the same time provide NO constructive advice.

Head in the sand? I do not think so.

confirmed, either friendly fire or consumption, just another strain of the same disease i.e. route and source unknown. now, you want talk about species, strains, documented routes and sources right here in the USA, then lets talk, ill show them to ya.

No longer interested. Do not care. I have gone "off grid"

The USA is nothing more than a petri dish for TSEs, the most documented in species from any country is the USA, all of which have been rendered and fed back to animals for human/animal consumption for years, even TME to a small extent, but scent glands kept most from being rendered for feed, the incubation period is what's fooling everyone.

let's rumble, show me the data.

Rumble? You must have me confused with someone else. I am always opent to discussion - as for data - have none and am not interested in scanning and dissecting reams of info.

I seldom read a post longer than a couple of paras.

I think I will put you on the ignore list. Along with a few others.

You know how to reach me if there is anything you might have to add to the discussion that would be of value.

Stay well.

Bez!

.....tss

Latest posts