Central FL grass recommendation?

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am looking to plow, seed and roll my 4 acre pasture for cows. Any recommendation on some good foliage protein grass?

Also, a friend of my told me that the University may be interested in planting some grass that they may testing, etc. Anyone have any information if they do that and who to contact? We live out in Plant City area (30 east of Tampa).

Thanks!
Mike

I'd take them up on the offer as long as you can use it the way you wish and not be bound by a set of conditons of a study. Its a good deal if there are no constraints. They definitely won't be testing junk. JMO

You didn't say when you wanted to do this, but not much will take right now except the winter rye. It will hold you over till spring when the rains come back. Its going to be hard to beat bahia though around here. I've tried some clovers, and bermuda and the only thing holding its own is the bahia

Thanks hooknline!

For the winter crop I am planting Jumbo Rye and I am looking at what options are to plant my summer grass.

Mike
hooknline":2e681e72 said:
You didn't say when you wanted to do this, but not much will take right now except the winter rye. It will hold you over till spring when the rains come back. Its going to be hard to beat bahia though around here. I've tried some clovers, and bermuda and the only thing holding its own is the bahia

The jumbo rye is a great choice, and look into the various bahia varieties for the spring. You can seed the bahia at the same time as the rye. Early spring I fert and lime as needed and overseed the bahia, then late summer seed brown top millet to pick up the slack when the bahia slows down and before the rye goes downs, which will be next week on avg

Latest posts