Caught Supper

Help Support CattleToday:

mnmtranching

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 29, 2006
Messages
5,061
Reaction score
1
Location
MN
Think this will be the last time on the ice for me till next season.
Lots of rain up here really melting ice.
Ain't no better eating fish.

P1010017-5.jpg
 
OP
mnmtranching

mnmtranching

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 29, 2006
Messages
5,061
Reaction score
1
Location
MN
Joe, you take a 5 gallon bucket. Put your gear into it. Don't need much. Jig stick, couple dozen maggots, an extra jig and that's about it. Don't need an auger, this time of the year the holes stay open, actually gain in size :shock: :help: REALLY no easier fishing. Walk out a hundred yards, turn the pail upside down, take a seat and catch supper. Maybe an hour? During open water, [that's what upnort folks call lakes when not ice covered] :oops: :oops: you need a boat, motor, gas, rods, tackle box blah blah. This March ice fishing is to easy. :clap:
 

angie1

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 21, 2006
Messages
4,179
Reaction score
0
Location
minnesota
Holy Smokes!! Did you ever catch supper! :clap:
I am wondering if there was water on top of the ice bad?
 
OP
mnmtranching

mnmtranching

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 29, 2006
Messages
5,061
Reaction score
1
Location
MN
angie":2qnae6io said:
Holy Smokes!! Did you ever catch supper! :clap:
I am wondering if there was water on top of the ice bad?

This was last Thursday, kinda slippery not much water on the ice. As for now :shock: :???: I ain't going out there, someone else will have to check it out. :help:
 

rusty

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 27, 2009
Messages
348
Reaction score
0
Location
Duck,WV
mnmtranching":2nqudogp said:
Joe, you take a 5 gallon bucket. Put your gear into it. Don't need much. Jig stick, couple dozen maggots, an extra jig and that's about it. Don't need an auger, this time of the year the holes stay open, actually gain in size :shock: :help: REALLY no easier fishing. Walk out a hundred yards, turn the pail upside down, take a seat and catch supper. Maybe an hour? During open water, [that's what upnort folks call lakes when not ice covered] :oops: :oops: you need a boat, motor, gas, rods, tackle box blah blah. This March ice fishing is to easy. :clap:

I don't think he has ever seen ice only in pics.
 

Angus Cowman

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 12, 2008
Messages
7,157
Reaction score
1
Location
the Great State of Mental Distress ( Florida)
rusty":11ekjfsk said:
mnmtranching":11ekjfsk said:
Joe, you take a 5 gallon bucket. Put your gear into it. Don't need much. Jig stick, couple dozen maggots, an extra jig and that's about it. Don't need an auger, this time of the year the holes stay open, actually gain in size :shock: :help: REALLY no easier fishing. Walk out a hundred yards, turn the pail upside down, take a seat and catch supper. Maybe an hour? During open water, [that's what upnort folks call lakes when not ice covered] :oops: :oops: you need a boat, motor, gas, rods, tackle box blah blah. This March ice fishing is to easy. :clap:

I don't think he has ever seen ice only in pics.
No he has seen it in his ice tea it comes in cube form :lol:
 

Jogeephus

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 17, 2006
Messages
24,228
Reaction score
1
Location
South Georgia
That's about right. :lol2: I have seen a little ice on a pond before but I'm not about to go walking on it just so I can say I've ice fished. Got to much to live for. :nod: I'm picturing the ease of it all. Don't even need to drag a cooler for the beer - now that is good.

BTW - how do you know where to fish? Do you still knock the holes over certain structure or does the hole attract the fish?
 

Toby L.

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 3, 2008
Messages
197
Reaction score
0
Location
north central minnesota
Brute 23":1cnbsfxq said:
What kind of fish are those? I am down with any kind of fishing that requires sitting and not having to cast every 2 sec. :D

There called bluegills or sunfish, but whats the deal with that 1 perch? I've never ate them, they were always to wormy.
 

newrancher

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 14, 2007
Messages
257
Reaction score
0
Location
ok
Nice catch,but thats the problem I have with fishing, it seems everytime I reach for my beer I GET A BITE. Much simpler to just leave the boat, motor, tackle etc at home.
 

Jogeephus

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 17, 2006
Messages
24,228
Reaction score
1
Location
South Georgia
newrancher":2aic0o0m said:
Nice catch,but thats the problem I have with fishing, it seems everytime I reach for my beer I GET A BITE. Much simpler to just leave the boat, motor, tackle etc at home.

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2: Murphey's Law. I once lost a brand new fishing rod doing the same thing. I had sat there for a couple of hours without a bite and I reached for one and wham - off went my rod into the Atlantic. :mad:
 

1982vett

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 3, 2008
Messages
9,513
Reaction score
314
Location
Central Texas
Jogeephus":2uke6ohr said:
That's about right. :lol2: I have seen a little ice on a pond before but I'm not about to go walking on it just so I can say I've ice fished. Got to much to live for. :nod: I'm picturing the ease of it all. Don't even need to drag a cooler for the beer - now that is good.

BTW - how do you know where to fish? Do you still knock the holes over certain structure or does the hole attract the fish?

Remember Jogee, up their in the deep freeze, they need the cooler to keep the beer from freezing.
:lol:
 

rusty

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 27, 2009
Messages
348
Reaction score
0
Location
Duck,WV
That reminds me of my younger days.Me and a few friends would work all day putting up hay cutting brush whatever we could do for beer money.Then that night we'd tell our parents we were going catfishing and go party till the wee hours of the morning.Got caught when we stopped taking fishing gear and bait.I guess they weren't near as dumb as we thought but try stringing barbwire with a hangover.
 
OP
mnmtranching

mnmtranching

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 29, 2006
Messages
5,061
Reaction score
1
Location
MN
Now days most fishermen use the gps to get back on their favorite spot. I have several lakes I Winter fish and go by shore landmarks. This place is out front of my brother cabin. Line up with a large Whitepine on the far shore and walk out 225 paces, thats the spot. :cowboy:

Toby, where you been ? perch are a popular Minnesota fish. Big time fishing on Big Winnie, Leach etc. Yup they are wormy in many of the smaller lakes. Very good eating when not wormy.
 

Latest posts

Top