Cattle Trailers

Help Support CattleToday:

TxCoUnTrYbOy

Reaction score
Trailers arent really machinery, but I guess this is the best place for this. My ag teacher is looking to buy an aluminum cattle trailer, and I am helping him research the prices some. What we need is a 14 or 16 foot aluminum cattle trailer, bumper or gooseneck. What I am asking of yall, could I get some average prices of these, both new and used? The reason for the need for prices is to try and get the school to buy it, and they want to know all the options before spending a couple thousand dollars.

Thanks for the help

Going to be more than "a couple" thousand dollars. You are going to have to give me more info as to what you are looking for. Do you want a hard top vinal top, not top? What about a tack area? Width? There are a lot of options on a trailer. Best bet is to go to a dealership and get a bid on what you want and then make some calls to other dealerships and watch for ads in the paper for used ones.

Definately hard top. Im not positive as to what a tack area is, but my guess is that its the storage area at the front. If thats what it is, then no we dont need that. All we really need is a basic trailer without all the fancy extra stuff on it. My teacher said his guess would be about $15,000 for a new trailer. Could you point me in the direction of a website that would have prices? I dont really know trailers, so I dont know the manufacturers, dealers, etc.

Thanks

TxCoUnTrYbOy":12bvlwlg said:
Definately hard top. Im not positive as to what a tack area is, but my guess is that its the storage area at the front. If thats what it is, then no we dont need that. All we really need is a basic trailer without all the fancy extra stuff on it. My teacher said his guess would be about $15,000 for a new trailer. Could you point me in the direction of a website that would have prices? I dont really know trailers, so I dont know the manufacturers, dealers, etc.

Thanks

Not to be unkind by any means...ok? However, as you have indicated that you may be an "Ag Student" (teacher/class looking for a trailer), I am surprised that among ya'll you haven't heard of trailer brand names, much less been exposed to a lot of trailer/equipment literature???

The fact that you mentioned "aluminum trailer" says that ya'll already have some understanding of trailers! No?

Aluminum trailers: Exiss, Featherlite, Sooner, Sundowner, etc. Most any farm & ranch store, supermarket, etc., has horse magazines that are clogged with trailer advertisements...look outside of the box... :)

Aluminum trailers are expensive, for a 4 horse and up, tack room (even living quarters)... expect to pay new anywhere from $15,000 to $100,000 for top of line, luxury units. Even a 2 horse bumper pull in one of the above major brands can easily destroy a $5,000 or $7,500 US of A "greenback"...lol. Any school that can afford an aluminum trailer for its Ag or Equine Department could also probably afford a "purchasing person" for that department... lol. If this is a class assignment, go get some equine magazines, visit trailer places, etc.

Bear in mind that aluminum trailer dealers are probably a lot like car and truck dealers... lot of sales pitches, and lots of "options" to pay extra bucks for.

I don't own an aluminum trailer. Mine is steel and I wish I had an aluminum. Maybe next time. I do know several people, though, that have Barrett aluminum trailers. http://www.barrett-trailers.com/gooseneck/livestock/ They are built very well, come with a ton of standard features, and are some of the most heavy-duty aluminum stock trailers I've seen. I pulled a brand new one to California two years ago for a guy who just had to have one. It was 24' by 8' and pulled quite well.

Gooseneck Trailer Mfg. Bryan Tx. They should be able to get you what you need. Quite possibly the best trailers on the market.

If you in the Houston area, here is a good deal on a nice bumper pull http://www.afence.com/wwCAT/AluminumStock.htm.

It's located at American Fence just southeast of Houston on I-45 in League City. I bought a bunch of PVC fence from them a few weeks ago and they were nice people to deal with.

If you've got more money to deal with, a 20 x 6'8" Gooseneck brand with hard top, neck compartment, high sides, and two middle gates will set you back between 11 and 12,000. Most ag chapter in Oklahoma run the 24' trailers made by sundowner, exiss, cherokee, featherlite, CM etc. They aren't pipe trailers like the gooseneck. CM makes both the pipe frame and the horse trailer type in their lonestar model. Pipe is probably better for pasture cattle but for show cattle, you can get more customization of the other type of trailer.

try talking with Cory @ Kirsh trailers in brazoria. He will work with schools for the best price.