Cattle Trailers

Help Support CattleToday:

I'd steer clear of Ponderosa. I have one that I bought used from a friend. He hosed it out after each use and I have done the same, but it has rusted out above the floor to the point that it has holes in the sides. The dealer that my friend originally purchased the trailer from no longer carries Ponderosa trailers. Had too many complaints about rust. Carries Calico brand trailers now.

I have seen some pretty good deals out your way on ebay. I saw some really good deals on gooseneck flat beds out there also. I finally got what I was looking for here for a reasonable price but I had to replace an axle that was bent.

Texas PaPaw":123oq9ic said:
WW, S&H, CM, Gooseneck, Dugan

I don't know if they still make 'em that way, but Dugan used to make a mean trailer! We have an 18' Dugan gooseneck (belonged to my grandfather) that is at least 25 years old and still going strong.

Caustic Burno":g0v5vp2p said:
Hanover if you can find one.He developed the Hanover "Gooseneck" hitch and manufactured livestock trailers.

Made in Bryan?

Keep searching, until you find what you want and what fits your budget.

I recently purchased a 16' Aluminum "Gooseneck Brand' gooseneck cattle trailer from a cattle rancher getting out of the business. The trailer was in excelllent condition, good rubber, everything worked. I paid $5k.

I could have paid less for a used steel trailer, but now I don't have to worry about the rust....

I figure that if I decide to sell at a later time, I could either break even or maybe even make a few bucks.

If you want an Aluminum, go with a Wilson. They are riveted together not welded, so they flex as you drive them over rougher ground. Welded trailers tend to fracture at the weld. Remember you can buy several steel goosenecks for the price of one aluminum trailer. Haul often and an aluminum is the way to go. Haul only a few times per year I'd stick with steel. If you don't think riveted trailers are the way to go.... look at all the BullRacks going up and down the interstate.

curtis":2y5czyiy said:
What about the Neckover brand, are they good ?
Thanks, Curtis
Without the decals, it would be hard to tell the difference in a Neckover and a Gooseneck. For even money, I'd prefer the Gooseneck, but they're not even money.

Mahoney Pursley Ranch":2zj9mybp said:
Narrowed my search down to WW or CM bumper pull,14 or 16 foot. What do yall think?

Why not a gooseneck Mahoney? I'm spoiled with my goosneck. Not even sure I can pull one on the bumper anymore.

Muratic":1lrqfsgz said:
Mahoney Pursley Ranch":1lrqfsgz said:
Narrowed my search down to WW or CM bumper pull,14 or 16 foot. What do yall think?

Why not a gooseneck Mahoney? I'm spoiled with my goosneck. Not even sure I can pull one on the bumper anymore.
I would really like to have a goosneck but we only have one pickup and I need to pull with either vehicle. My flatbed is also a bumper pull so it just makes things easier.

Mahoney Pursley Ranch":1185tpf4 said:

IMO-either should be a good choice. Both build good trailers. I pull my 16' WW a couple of times a week to those durned old sale barns. Gets the job done for me.

Regards

Brock

We have a old Big Tex, steel bumper pull, wooden plank floor, pulls great. We don't use it much so it will be around for a few more years. If I were going to use one every week then I'd get a gooseneck aluminum. Just my two bits worth. Dmc