Cattle trailer interior lights

Help Support CattleToday:

david1852

Reaction score
I'd like to install an interior LED light in my cattle trailer. Cows are hesitant to go into that dark space inside and I thought adding a light inside would help.

My question is, where would be the best place to pick up continuous 12 volts? I don't want to use a separate battery.

Thanks

I would tie it into the running/marker lights. Should be the brown wire on the trailer harness. You'll probably want to mount a switch somewhere on the trailer to turn the interior light on and off, back gate would be best place for switch. License plate light might be easiest to get to for tie in.

Some trailers have a +12v pin on the 7 way plug for charging the breakaway battery. That would be a good place, if equipped.

Otherwise, the running lights would be fine as mentioned. Considering the location, I'd tap into one of the clearance lights. Use LEDs, they don't need much power.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I'll use LED light/lights for sure. They seem to throw out lots of bright light for their size.
I'll probably try to use the plug's 12 volt pin if I have one so I won't have to have the truck's switch/lights on to operate the interior light. My trailer has a junction box that I'll check for voltage tomorrow.

The 12 volt positive wire in the harness is usually black or red, depending on manufacturer. Most of the time it's only hot when the vehicle is running, so keep that in mind when you're checking for voltage. And it may also terminate at the battery for your breakaway brake switch, if applicable.

I have LED lights in my trailer, down both sides, and over the back door. Tied to running lights, and on a switch.

After looking at my trailer's wiring I'll probably have to tap into one of the upper clearance lights for my power. All the wires from the junction box to all the lights are either inside rigid conduit or inside the trailer's tubular frame. There are no loose wires hanging out anywhere other than where the clearance lights are.

I have LED's in my Big Bend trailer that operate on a switch. They are worth their weight in gold when loading at night. They are wired into the running lights.

I loaded 17 yearlings in 5 minutes Monday morning about 4 AM. They walk right in with lights.

Latest posts