Cattle size question...

Help Support CattleToday:

Rahe Family Belties

Reaction score
Some traditional lines of Belted Galloway cattle are in that size range. Most are just a bit bigger at 1000-1100 pound cows. Belties do very well in the Carolinas.

I really doubt you'll find many Angus and Hereford cattle in that size. They have been bred up-sized for over 40 years

Hello Tim,

There are several breeds that can stay within the 900-1000lb category. I am relatively small as well as farming is my pleasure, not my income. When we sold the dairy herd, I began raising beef animals. At first, we were raising "dairy beef", ayrshires to be specific. They do really well on grass and pasture but they are not all bone like a holstein.

I could easily keep the cows in the 1000lb range. When I was going to beef one, I would push them up to 1200 as they fatten up. Now, we have transitioned over to all registered black angus. The angus do have 3 different frame sizes. I will admit that my animals don't grow as fast as others on this forum as my wein weight is much lower than 800lb. Our angus are considered "medium" framed so they are shorter and not quite as long as the angus you may see at a larger farm show.

I am still learning myself but if you are able to find the right cow/bull combinations, you can breed to exactly what you are looking for.

You should be able to find the size you are looking for within most breeds.
Uniformity of size is no longer a true breed characteristic per se. Different breeders with different terrains and climes and personal preferences have bred for what suits them best, so you'll find varying sizes and phenotypes within the same breed.
Look at the size and type you prefer and start there.
Then, what is available to you in your area under that criteria will kind of dictate what breed you can run with.
If you're going to sell at the stockyard, raise what the stockyard wants.
If you market privately, have as much fun as you can stand with it.

Rafter S":3owjzdez said:
I'm not personally familiar with them, but you might want to look into Lowline Angus.

Good idea. I saw some low line x high line black angus cows that averaged 1100#. It looked like they would wean a very high % of body weight.

Pharo offers both "moderate" size bull semen for all the traditional English breeds, and low line bull semen.

This entire subject bumps on a peeve of mine with packers. They are the ones who know best the traits of most profitable cattle they will pay more for. You would think they would encourage breeders and commercial cattleman more to produce that type, size, etc of cattle for them. Producers and extension do a good job but I hear next to nothing from packers. As a cattleman I want to produce the most profitable animal regardless of size or breed. The packer has final say as to whether or not I have bred for the right type of animal. Mel

Waterway65":1kq4ai6w said:
This entire subject bumps on a peeve of mine with packers. They are the ones who know best the traits of most profitable cattle they will pay more for. You would think they would encourage breeders and commercial cattleman more to produce that type, size, etc of cattle for them. Producers and extension do a good job but I hear next to nothing from packers. As a cattleman I want to produce the most profitable animal regardless of size or breed. The packer has final say as to whether or not I have bred for the right type of animal. Mel

Angus

Wagyu, they don't get very big as an average Angus cow. That said there's some lowline x Angus or Dexter x Angus crosses that falls in the weight range.

How about longhorns. De horn the cows and breed them to a good black or Charolais bull. Sure your calves will be a little cheaper but it's proportional to what the cows cost you compared to big fancy blacks.

Square Meaters or a few of the older style Murray Greys might be in that range. However, it all depends on the phenotype. You can have an efficient, deep bodied cow with a frame score 3 that still weighs over 1,200 lbs, Or you can have a cow that is the same frame, but weighs only 1,000 lbs.

denvermartinfarms":34xhhrup said:
How about longhorns. De horn the cows and breed them to a good black or Charolais bull. Sure your calves will be a little cheaper but it's proportional to what the cows cost you compared to big fancy blacks.
I don't know about longhorns. Many longhorn cows I seen are over 1,400lbs regularly here and there's nothing tiny about them. Perhaps Corrientes will fit in the bill....but then again someone is running mature dexter cows with an Angus bull right now near us.

Taurus":1io5063i said:
denvermartinfarms":1io5063i said:
I don't know about longhorns. Many longhorn cows I seen are over 1,400lbs regularly here and there's nothing tiny about them. Perhaps Corrientes will fit in the bill....but then again someone is running mature dexter cows with an Angus bull right now near us.
I've got a bunch of pure longhorns that will go 850 to 1100lbs. I rarely see a longhorn around here over 1100lbs.

denvermartinfarms":1jtdh4oa said:
Taurus":1jtdh4oa said:
denvermartinfarms":1jtdh4oa said:
I've got a bunch of pure longhorns that will go 850 to 1100lbs. I rarely see a longhorn around here over 1100lbs.
Probably Corriente x longhorn crosses or just Corrientes. But then again it shows there are various size in a single breed, even longhorns too. Last spring there was an exotic sale at a sale barn and there was some registered longhorn cows run in the ring. Not a single cow that weight less than 1,300 other than a cull old longhorn cow.

One thought about Longhorns. Are you set up to handle cattle with ginormous horns?
Now don't get me wrong. I like Longhorns, but you will need to get a prepotent bull to overcome the LH traits or find cows that are not hatchet assed.
I have read that the best LH cross is a Charolais bull on LH cows and I believe it.
We have bred our Jersey cows to top quality Angus bulls (AI) in the past and the calves have always had visible dairy influence. This year one was bred to a Charolais bull and the only dairy influence is a pretty head. The calf has a deep body, good length and good muscling. He is growing better than the Angus crosses too. He does not have a dairy hip which surprised me.

If you start with heifers, you can determine their size by breeding them younger and leaving the first calf on longer. Just like with a bull, you can work them harder, younger, and they will be a smaller size than one of the same breed that is not freshened until over 24 months and then fed heavy and suckled short times their first couple of calves. An angus, or even crosses can be kept to the 900-1000 lbs and will not affect their genetics or size calf they will raise. I just bought a small herd of 16 longhorn pairs, half the calves out of a charolais bull and half out of a simi-angus bull. There is no comparison in the calves, the charolais are far better. I would never put a simi-angus or even an angus bull with the longhorns due to large number of weak rear ends and lack of a good percentage of solid color calves. Even the solid colored calves will have longhorn heads and rears.
The cattle I bought are from 900-1,000, which are big longhorns around here if they give plenty of milk. You can find some bigger longhorns if they do not give enough milk.
The first thing I will do when I get them home is cut off their horns. This will make them easier to work with, easier on the other cattle, and there will be none of them get hung up in round bale feeders the times I use them instead of unrolling hay. Longhorns are gentle and will browse when other cattle stay in the barn, breed back quckly, and have a very long, useful life.
Another breed that is around 900-1,000 lbs around here is the white parks. Gentle, gives lots of milk, great maternal traits, and breeds back quickly. Put a charolais bull with them and get a very good selling calf that grows big. I know up north, some white parks are 13-1400 lbs, but most of the ones I have are 900-1,000 because I freshen them a little small and work them hard to keep them from getting too big for my hills and rocks.