Cattle rubs?

Help Support CattleToday:

3MR

Reaction score
What does everybody use as the active ingredient in their cattle rubs, and how good does it work for you?

hmm, I hadnt thought of that. You just hang the old mops? That probably works great. How often do you have to reload them?

How many mop heads do you hang across for good coverage.

They are cattle mops. The have a pouch at the top that holds a couple of gallons of fluid and it's wicked down into the mop head. Ours are 4 foot wide and hold just over 4 gallons. Refill every couple of weeks

Oh, Yeah, I had heard of those, but have never actually seen one. The only thing I have ever seen for sale around here are the regular 6' saugage looking things. They arent expensive, but, nickle and dimes.....nickle and dimes...

3MR":7xz42xcr said:
Oh, Yeah, I had heard of those, but have never actually seen one. The only thing I have ever seen for sale around here are the regular 6' saugage looking things. They arent expensive, but, nickle and dimes.....nickle and dimes...

I tossed those weanie rolls away years ago. They call them oilers, I call them mops

http://www.enasco.com/ProductDetail.do?sku=C05253N

Can I hang that anywhere they have to walk under it like the sausage type, or does it require a different setup?

How much longer do you think the 4 gallon one woudl last over the 3 gallon one?

3MR":2zjhonef said:
Can I hang that anywhere they have to walk under it like the sausage type, or does it require a different setup?
We just hang them at the entrys into the water points so they have to pass under them every time they go in or come out from water.
How much longer do you think the 4 gallon one woudl last over the 3 gallon one?
About 1/4 longer, i.e, if the 3 gallon lasts 3 weeks the 4 gallon should last 4 weeks.
They're kind of pricey. We take them down and store them inthe old milk parlor during the winter. They last about 6-7 years that way.

dun

I think I am going to try one. They are twice the price, but you dont have to buy the face tags to go with them like you would with the others. They look like they would work better for sure.

We hang them so the bottom of the reservoir is just above the back of the tallest cow. That puts it low wnough that even the calves get some on their backs. The only place we generally see any flys are on their bellys. The mop gets them part way down the sides,

dun

I have used them and think they work great on yearlings and have not had as good a luck with the cows and bulls. Seems they can always find a way to go around. The yearlings like to play with them.

Scotty":180qbm3m said:
I have used them and think they work great on yearlings and have not had as good a luck with the cows and bulls. Seems they can always find a way to go around. The yearlings like to play with them.

If it spans the entire opening unless they can jump a 5 foot fence there's no way they can aviud them. We tried the dust bag deals too. Had one cow that thought it was a toy. Would only ake her about half an hour or so to empty it. She looked like a blanket appaloosa but with the blanket on the wrong end.

Latest posts