cattle rubs

Help Support CattleToday:

lancemart

Reaction score
What fly control is best for cattle rubs and how much do you put on one rub with face flaps. I started with one gallon of diesel and 16 oz of pymetrin pour on.
Does that seem ok for one rub?
How often do I add to the rub, montly, weekly, yearly, every ten years? Please let me know
Thanks

lancemart":f38dr4mv said:
What fly control is best for cattle rubs and how much do you put on one rub with face flaps. I started with one gallon of diesel and 16 oz of pymetrin pour on.
Does that seem ok for one rub?
How often do I add to the rub, montly, weekly, yearly, every ten years? Please let me know
Thanks
Mr. Lancemart, You need to get you some 40% Permethrin. The 10% is like water. It'll take 4 ounces of Permethrin, mixed with 5 gallons of Diesel fuel. The Face Flyps are a great thing to use with your Rub. I dip the rub in a drum, to charge it. depending on how many head you're running, and weather will dictate how often you have to re-charge the rub. I usually have to add some Diesel every 4-5 days.

Anyone have pictures of these rubs? I have a lot of flys on my steers but I am still new to raisign cattle. I'd like to know the most cost-effective way to get rid of some of the flys. Ugh!

If you already have a lot of flys. Back rubbers wont elimate them. The fly problem has to be attacked early for best results. Back rubbers set up where they have to go underthem will cut back on the problem but 2 will hatch out to everone you kill. You can put them where they have to go under them to get to the mineral feeder. Hanging face flaps from it also helps. You can also charge it with a pumpup sprayer.

We use loose minerals with fly control in them. This seems to be working well on our cows.

http://www.lewiscattleoilers.com/cattle.html

This is what we use - oil is in the upright - pumped to all the chains and the rub by cattle rubbing action - mineral is in the blue tub and salt is at the baes of the oiler in the salt rack.

Works like a charm - actually need another two or three - but that is simply on the wish list for now.

Bez

Hummm, would love to find a 40% solution for the mix, but have yet to find one.
We use a combination of bullets at the mineral feeders, as well as bring them all in together, feed and spray with a light concentration of diesel mix. Also seems to work well for us.

Our problem is that we seem to generate so many flies around our calf hutches.( we are full up right now) Milk poop seems to be like ambrosia for flies, and we certainly are not going to feed any fly control to our youngest calves, see we use fly traps there with some results.

We dont like the idea of fly tags as they seem too labor intensive, and only add a few more holes in our cattles ears that we dont need.

Fortunately ,we seem to have a steady wind here near the top of the mountain, so this in itself acts as a fly control to some extent. Although the trade off comes about January of each year.Burrrrr.

Utah":30v2oy7k said:
Anyone have pictures of these rubs? I have a lot of flys on my steers but I am still new to raisign cattle. I'd like to know the most cost-effective way to get rid of some of the flys. Ugh!
Try This:http://www.phwhite.com/

ffamom":1r0z1l68 said:
We use loose minerals with fly control in them. This seems to be working well on our cows.
I just bought a Sweetlix with Rabon included in the mix. It says for fecal flies. I was using Wind and Rain with Altisid also. On the Sweetlix label it says "use as your only mineral". Does this mean I cannot use the loose mineral while using the Wind and Rain.

lancemart":e9h1rx8y said:
ffamom":e9h1rx8y said:
I just bought a Sweetlix with Rabon included in the mix. It says for fecal flies. I was using Wind and Rain with Altisid also. On the Sweetlix label it says "use as your only mineral". Does this mean I cannot use the loose mineral while using the Wind and Rain.
Knowing Sweetlix products,Generally, if they say to feed as the sole mineral, then I would do that. I would compare labels between the two products and then make your decision whether or not to keep feeding the Wind and Rain mineral.

Crowder is right about the 10% permectrin. You'll be spraying every day. We keep out Rabon blocks all the time. They are $6.25 a block and they have cut the fly problem by about 80%. We still spot spray to keep the cows comfortable.

i am using rabon blocks and cutter fly tags and i am having good results so far. i started early april for blocks, may for tags.
i used pour on on 11 head last week that i moved. i haven't seen hardly any flys.

ffamom":t7sf0iqv said:

I do too. I just put it in open tubs that I can move around to different spots every few days to keep the grass from getting worn out around them.

In the past I used permanent covered feeders but a big mudhole invariably developed around them. Now I don't even worry about rain getting in the tubs because they will slurp the water.

I also tried spraying once a week but that was a waste of time.
gabby

ctlbaron":3rf714u0 said:
Crowder is right about the 10% permectrin. You'll be spraying every day. We keep out Rabon blocks all the time. They are $6.25 a block and they have cut the fly problem by about 80%. We still spot spray to keep the cows comfortable.
Where do you get them for $6.25 a block?

Bez":3qjim3tm said:
http://www.lewiscattleoilers.com/cattle.html

This is what we use - oil is in the upright - pumped to all the chains and the rub by cattle rubbing action - mineral is in the blue tub and salt is at the baes of the oiler in the salt rack.

Works like a charm - actually need another two or three - but that is simply on the wish list for now.

Bez
==
Bez,

Looks like an interesting unit....how long have you used it? What drawbacks have you found with the unit? Are they costly?
We use a 14' piece of gutter to drop the rubs in for recharging...not as messy as pouring it on.

Latest posts