Cattle prices?

Help Support CattleToday:

tncattle

Reaction score
Okay I've only been in cattle for around 4 yrs. now but was just curious what kind of answers I'd get to these questions.

1.Economy still seems to stink so why are cattle prices much better than a yr. ago?

2. Is there one thing or a combination of things that truly drive cattle prices up or down?

3. Is the price swing in the last 12 months not that unusual? Meaning, over the years has this been a more common phenomenom than I realize?

Cattle Prices In General:

• National and Global Economy
    Foreign Meat Imports
    Downsizing Cattle Production Due to Input Costs
    Vegetarian Propaganda
    Futures Speculation
    Regional Demand
    Ethnic Foods of Varying Meat Choices
    Politics
    And finally...

BECAUSE CATTLE PRICES CAN DO THIS...

Inventory is down.
Corn is down due to oil prices being down (less corn being made into ethanol).
More folks are buying choice beef and cooking at home then going out to Outback steak house for prime cuts.
The huge influx of dairy cows sent to slaughter from government buy-outs are used up so now beef cows are more in demand for burger.

Also, how long do y'all think these prices will hold or maybe even increase some more. I've got a group of black heifers and I'm trying to figure out how long to hold them.

all of the above reasons an a few more.1 the feedlots an stocker guys are needing calves bad.2 the feed prices have finally started going down.an itll be awhile before national cow herd grows again.

I'm selling half of mine the week before labor day and the smaller end the following week.

Due to the huge numbers of calves being sold in the fall, prices always soften between labor day & thanksgiving. It's not if they will soften, just how much. In a few of the strong market years there was not much decline, however in many other years the decline was substantial.

Has been my experience that the few extra pounds gained after labor day were offset by price decline, meaning I got nothing for the grass consumed after labor day. Now I let my grass rest and stockpile for winter use. I will start buying more calves in OCT/Nov when they are cheaper. Since I have been using this marketing plan, it has always made me more money. However, your results may vary.

Just another 2 cents worth.

Texas PaPaw":2jbakav9 said:
Due to the huge numbers of calves being sold in the fall, prices always soften between labor day & thanksgiving. It's not if they will soften, just how much. In a few of the strong market years there was not much decline, however in many other years the decline was substantial.

I've been printing out the sales reports from a local sale barn for a few years now - ever since I found their numbers on line. There is a whole lot of merit to that 2 cents you offer. Like being dead right.