cattle plan

Help Support CattleToday:

bigbull338

Reaction score
heres a tip that might help beginners an estb cattleman.since starting with reg beefmasters.ive decided it the qualty of cattle not the quanty of cattle.an it doesnt have todo with how much money you have,if you have $10,000 to spend.spend it wisely no matter if its reg or comm cows.most reg prices are $1500 to $2000 a hd.with that in mind you could get 5 to 7 reg cows.or 8 comm cows.but what im trying to say is this no matter how much you spend buy the best you can afford.an dont go for numbers in the pasture.because if you do sooner or later youll lower the quality of cattle your breeding.ive leaned its best to buy the best cows you can afford.

bigbull338":hgf5br7t said:
heres a tip that might help beginners an estb cattleman.since starting with reg beefmasters.ive decided it the qualty of cattle not the quanty of cattle.an it doesnt have todo with how much money you have,if you have $10,000 to spend.spend it wisely no matter if its reg or comm cows.most reg prices are $1500 to $2000 a hd.with that in mind you could get 5 to 7 reg cows.or 8 comm cows.but what im trying to say is this no matter how much you spend buy the best you can afford.an dont go for numbers in the pasture.because if you do sooner or later youll lower the quality of cattle your breeding.ive leaned its best to buy the best cows you can afford.

I think you're right. We spent several years and quite a few bucks buying and trying to upgrade "average" animals by AI. It will eventually work, but I'm convinced that you're better off to buy fewer, good animals to start with.

Frankie":3czvrnsv said:
bigbull338":3czvrnsv said:

I think you're right. We spent several years and quite a few bucks buying and trying to upgrade "average" animals by AI. It will eventually work, but I'm convinced that you're better off to buy fewer, good animals to start with.
dont missunderstand what im saying because i know some people cant spend that much.but since ive jumped back into the reg thing ive discovered that my thinking has been wrong.i used to think you could make money by volum in cattle.an you can if your selling feeder calves.but in the reg game it takes quality cattle to make it.your right in using AI to build an improve the herd.im going to keep the herd small.so maybe i can afford to spend more money on the best cattle.

Thats the way to go buy the best quality you can offord to spend Im in the same situation starting off in the Reg side of things whats a small herd to you to me it 20-40 Thats the range Im staying in but to some small is 75-100

vs_cattle":3q99yepw said:
Thats the way to go buy the best quality you can offord to spend Im in the same situation starting off in the Reg side of things whats a small herd to you to me it 20-40 Thats the range Im staying in but to some small is 75-100
small to me is 25 to 50 cows.starting small is 4 or 5 cows an a bull.my plan is to buy 1 or 2 top cows from now own.an keep the top end heifers every yr.an only keep an reg the very top end of the bull calves.if i work hard in 5yrs ill have 20 to 30 cows.

novatech":2xvh2jv6 said:
Works for me, and the extra bonus is that you will usually have plenty of grass.
i could run 100hd an still have plenty of grass.because at full production have 150acs of hay fields.even running 1 cutting getting 3 bales to ac that would be 450bales of hay.mean 3 bales to a cow.pushing the cow herd to 150 cows.

bigbull338":v3gztup4 said:
novatech":v3gztup4 said:
Works for me, and the extra bonus is that you will usually have plenty of grass.
i could run 100hd an still have plenty of grass.because at full production have 150acs of hay fields.even running 1 cutting getting 3 bales to ac that would be 450bales of hay.mean 3 bales to a cow.pushing the cow herd to 150 cows.
I'm with you. I have found that I can make a profit by haveing fewer high quality cows. One is that the calves will bring more money and two is that there is very little supplementation. I would much rather make money on a few than loose money on a lot. I have hay in the barn so this year I will being selling most of the hay I produce. Sounds like you will be doing the same thing.

The best part about starting small and building gradually is that you can learn how many head to raise and still make a profit. If you keep good books.

Latest posts