cattle per acre

Help Support CattleToday:

okiegirl2008

Reaction score
Hi All, I am new to the board. I just had a quick question. Husband and I are thinking about buying some land when we move. Possibly in Seminole County Oklahoma or Pottawatomie County. I am not sure how many acres I need per cow. Can someone help? thanks

in oklahoma it varies some places you could run a cow to 3acs an some a cow to 5acs or pre cow.id figure a cow to 6 or 7acs tobe safe.so a 200ac place might run 30 cows.

bigbull338":pugknr8u said:
in oklahoma it varies some places you could run a cow to 3acs an some a cow to 5acs or pre cow.id figure a cow to 6 or 7acs tobe safe.so a 200ac place might run 30 cows.
wow...thanks for the advice. I was thinking 100 cows for 200 acres. My husband said maybe 50 cows for 200 acres. (If you cannot tell-I have not had cows before!)

most places in oklahoma are native grass farms.an they dont get that much rain in a years time.its ok tobe new an wanting to learn about cattle.theres some oklahoma members here.

I live in garvin county, just a little west of where you want to be. There are alot of differences in land bottom land,up land,improved or native pasture,fertilizer? Are you going to bale hay or buy it? Size of the cows.

Our home place is 160 acres and our best land about 80% creek bottom.If we fertilize good we can run 45-60 pairs depending on the rain we get,but with fertilizer at an all time high it's not cost effective.Our other places have less bottom land and we may only run a cow to 10-12 acres on some years.

I would buy bottom land as you will get the most bang for your buck most of the time.If you need to get rid of some money buy native upland pasture,it may be a good investment and you won't have to fertilize or do much other than keep the fence up.

The noble foundation in Ardmore can give you alot of info.They even have a cumputer program that will tell you how many cows you can run(IMO it has some flaws,but it's a good place to start.)This is a free service so even if you don't like what they say your only out your time.
www.noble.org
#(580)-223-5810

EAT BEEF":26n3mxbl said:
I live in garvin county, just a little west of where you want to be. There are alot of differences in land bottom land,up land,improved or native pasture,fertilizer? Are you going to bale hay or buy it? Size of the cows.

Our home place is 160 acres and our best land about 80% creek bottom.If we fertilize good we can run 45-60 pairs depending on the rain we get,but with fertilizer at an all time high it's not cost effective.Our other places have less bottom land and we may only run a cow to 10-12 acres on some years.

I would buy bottom land as you will get the most bang for your buck most of the time.If you need to get rid of some money buy native upland pasture,it may be a good investment and you won't have to fertilize or do much other than keep the fence up.

The noble foundation in Ardmore can give you alot of info.They even have a cumputer program that will tell you how many cows you can run(IMO it has some flaws,but it's a good place to start.)This is a free service so even if you don't like what they say your only out your time.
http://www.noble.org
#(580)-223-5810
Thank you! Ardmore is not to far from us..I will check that out! Thanks again

Cows per acre depends on your soil, rainfall and type of grass. They recommend 12 acres per cow-calf unit on native grass here. Improved pastures like bermuda and Plains Bluestem will run more, but they need fertizilzer, etc. Your local extension people and the ASCS office can help you out.

If you're within 100 miles of Ardmore, you really should consider signing up as a cooperator with the Noble Foundation.

http://www.noble.org/

They are a great source of information, ideas, and assistance.

If you are willing to consider some other ideas like MIG (management intensive grazing) I think you will be pleased with the potential number of cattle you will be able to accomodate.