Cattle on feed?

Help Support CattleToday:

Trevsonn

Reaction score
Just curious as to what guys are paying in ontario or anywere else to feed out steers? I have a barn that i would like to feed some out in.50-300 head. Thanks for any input.
Trev

Trevsonn":dvuk37zy said:
Just curious as to what guys are paying in ontario or anywere else to feed out steers? I have a barn that i would like to feed some out in.50-300 head. Thanks for any input.
Trev
Last year it cost me about $1.18/day on full feed. I was at corn at $1.90/bushel, soybean meal at $.11 - $.13 per pound, and my cost for hay at $90/ton. I figured they were at 85% feed and 15% hay. All values are American. Small framed heifer calves were purchased at 5 to 6 months age and fed for 150 to 180 days. Large framed calves purchased at 7 to 8 months put on feed for 120 - 150 days.

Right now I'm coming in at $1.34 per day, hay is cheaper around here, but I have also figured in my mineral/vit/salt supplements.

I'm wondering for those of you that feed out, do you provide supplements? And at what rate?

Thanks, Michele

Well the last 60 i feed out I fed for 72cents a pound gain. corn was 3.00 a bushel bought whole cob corn and hay was 5 cent a pound put 400 pounds on those heifers and made abousolutly nothing,even put a pound per head per day of 56% concentrate with rumenson and mga.

Right now I can get shelled corn delivered for 106 a ton dry, canadian, hay at 5cent still, suppliment costing about.30 cent a pound.