Cattle Management and Grass

Help Support CattleToday:

ksnewb

Reaction score
I know very little about rotational, or intensive grazing, but would like to do something similar to this. Before I go all in and buy a bunch of land and cattle, I would like to get the opinions of those with experience. I plan to buy approximately 320 acres. I would like to have a portion of this put into wheat and some of it pastureland. I intend to buy so many cows, have them bred, and then place the weaned calves onto the wheat. I may then either pull the calves off in march, or if the wheat does not appear it is going to do very well, graze it out. When do I need to put the bull in with the cows? (Do I want fall or spring calves for the most profit when selling the calves after they graze on the wheat?) Also, I was planning on taking the cows off of the main pasture and moving them to rest the land. What is the best grass for the pasture (what will hold the most cattle for the months from April to November)? How many acres per cow would you suggest for this grass? I would like to thank your for your replies in advance and I appreciate your suggestions. Thanks

ksnewb":payck3vr said:
I know very little about rotational, or intensive grazing, but would like to do something similar to this. Before I go all in and buy a bunch of land and cattle, I would like to get the opinions of those with experience. I plan to buy approximately 320 acres. I would like to have a portion of this put into wheat and some of it pastureland. I intend to buy so many cows, have them bred, and then place the weaned calves onto the wheat. I may then either pull the calves off in march, or if the wheat does not appear it is going to do very well, graze it out. When do I need to put the bull in with the cows? (Do I want fall or spring calves for the most profit when selling the calves after they graze on the wheat?) Also, I was planning on taking the cows off of the main pasture and moving them to rest the land. What is the best grass for the pasture (what will hold the most cattle for the months from April to November)? How many acres per cow would you suggest for this grass? I would like to thank your for your replies in advance and I appreciate your suggestions. Thanks

I would think someone from Ks. with experiance would be better to answer your question but I can handle the basics.

I think you would want spring calves if you plan to put your
weaned calves on winter wheat.

Put the bull in in May for March calves, April for Feb. calves.

Fescue is a good durable pasture in our part of the country.

As far as stocking your land, start low and work up. There are far fewer problems undersocking than overstocking.

There is a lot of info on these boards but your neighbors will
give you the best advise.

Don't leave your calves on your wheat too long, watch your neighbors to see when they pull them if you don't know yourself.

It sounds like you are formulating a plan...that's good, keep workin on it.

hillbilly

ksnewb,

There are a lot of knowledgable people on the boards, and they can give you some really good advice.

I would suggest visiting your local county extension office. Meet your county agent. At the extension office they can do everything from collecting your soil samples to be tested to letting you know about what's best for your situation. Your local agent can point you in the right direction for almost any question you may have; and this is his job. Most are real good people, and want to help people as best they can.

Latest posts