Cattle Lice

Help Support CattleToday:

inyati13

Reaction score
I have an outbreak of lice. I have not actually found the parasites on the cows that I have examined but all indications are lice. They are rubbing their hair off on the top of their shoulders, around their neck and some on the behind. I have caught it early and only about half the herd is showing any rubbing some in only a small spot or two. I introduced a new bull and a bred heifer in the past three months. They may also pick them up from the neighbors cows across the fence. It took me the last four days to get every animal treated. I used Ivomec, Eprinomectin. It is a pour on for a wide range of parasites including lice. I was wondering because there was a span of four days, could the last cows treated have reinfected the first cows treated. It is an issue of how long the Eprinomectin is still in the blood and effective for lice. My guess is that is too short of a window for re-infection. Does those in the know, agree?

Not in the know but I agree. Since lice feed on blood I would think as long as there is medication in the system you'd be good. Again. I'm no expert

You are correct. Eprinex is good for 21 days and it kills 4 different types of lice.

Is it true that in the spring Lice goes back ino the ground? Thats what I've heard most my life. Just wondering if thats why it always shows up so plain in the winter???

That life cycle tells a new story. I may have had the lice in the herd already! They were just in the dormant egg form. I treated for parasites early in the fall when it was still warm here. Next year, I will treat much later! Thanks.

Tin Man":362vg6u8 said:
I think our cattle have lice going to try cydectin pour on soon, can people get lice from cattle? Thanks
I suppose anythign is possible but they're supposedly species specific.

Cattle lice do not infect humans. As dun stated, lice are species specific. That does not mean that you cannot find a non-human specific louse crawling on you. I have had both poultry and swine lice on me. What was interesting to me when I read about the life cycle of cattle lice is that they are dormant (they spend the summer as an egg) in the hot months because they cannot survive as adults at the body temperatures maintained during the summer. This is why you can treat your cattle with the pour on and unless the adult is actively consuming the blood, you will not kill them off. The adult appears when the temperature starts reaching freezing. Tin Man, if you used Eprinomectin when the lice were in the egg stage, you would not have killed them no matter what pour on brand you would have used. To prevent the mid and late winter lice out-breaks, you will need to apply the pour on after it starts getting cold.

if the adult is actively consuming what do I do to get rid of them? The cows started to loss hair on there backs and necks. I have 7 heifer calves some of them look bad and some dont.

Tin Man":20j0zqvk said:
if the adult is actively consuming what do I do to get rid of them? The cows started to loss hair on there backs and necks. I have 7 heifer calves some of them look bad and some dont.
If the lice are activly consuming any of the louse type of pour-ons will work.

Or - if you are not worried about appearances (not showing), you can do nothing and simply let it run its course.

The sun will kill the lice off in time.

Millions of cattle get lice every spring and it is usually all done by about 4-5 weeks.

Not a big deal and nothing much to worry about

Bez

Not senile yet...
I think nesikep and I will have to do the same thing. Some of us don't like being labelled what we're not.

btw, I got accused of animal cruelty because my cows had lice. Malicious people just looking for something to stick... but there ya go

If you show me an organically approved delousing treatment, I'll gladly get rid of the lice of my herd. I figure if you did a good job of it and keep a closed herd, you actually should be free of them unless you have a lot of other cattle on the other side of the fence. As it stands though, since Ivomec, etc are all systemic toxins, they cannot be used on organic farms. I've also noticed that some animals get lice worse than others, and have yet to find a good explanation (older cattle seem to have less though). On a couple of my animals (those that let me), I will give them a spring wash with a dog flea shampoo (rotenone/pyrethrine based). I also have a sheepshear, and I'm kinda wondering if shaving the hair of the cattle down to 1/4" would help them... be a heck of a job though and better watch out for flying hooves. A couple of my yearling heifers and my first time calver have lots right now and are shedding, with my help. I have found one benefit to cattle having lice... They really appreciate you for a rubbing!

If an animal only has a few lice, I have actually had reasonable success picking them off by hand.

BTW, what kind of lice do they have in Australia??? ONLY 2 to 5 CM long? I'll be a horses @ss if I'd ever let my cattle have lice that are 1 to 2 inches long on them!..