cattle for profit

Help Support CattleToday:

rc

Reaction score
We have 75 acres, mostly in good grass.....bermuda, fescue mix. Right now I have about 50 acres in pasture for 20 heifers and a young bull. I have horses on the other 25 along with my barn and house. I want to get into this to stimulate my full time job and also to get away from training so many horses. i plan to keep training some but find the cattle very interesting and also you can sell a cow most any time where as a horse you have to have pretty well trained and find a buyer. i have been reading the post addressing the profit margin and still think it's a good idea. The cows have really cleaned up a lot of the land that was really just not being used except to trail ride on. I am thinking that even if it takes the horse training money to feed the cows this winter I can still come out ahead. I am sure that the saying we use in horses " If you want to make a small fortune with horses start with a large one" holds true with cows.I have angus mix... some good stock to start with. I appreaciate the info gained in this site. I train paso fino horses and if I can help anyone with that let me know.

Welcome! And good luck with your operation
cows have really cleaned up a lot of the land that was really just not being used except to trail ride on

I raise Tennessee Walkers, and sometimes miss the tall grass to get them stepping out!

I agree...horses are a luxury and rather difficult to sell, even if properly trained.

We raise pureblood Tennessee Walking & Peruvian Paso horses along with our registered Longhorn herd.

Trying to find someone in our area to work with these gaited horses is like trying to find a chicken with a good set of teeth! LOL.

I trained hunters and dressage horses for years.. slowly phased them out for cattle. I really, really enjoy the cattle, and like you said, it's a lot easier to sell a cow or calf than a horse. (As far as time frame of course)

Sounds like you're off to a good start with your herd.

Welcome RC,

I too raise horses, Quarters and Paints, as the other post said "where's the money" in cattle. I raise them because I love working with cattle and perfecting my hobby, but I have recently realized very little money in cattle unless you are willing to market them hard. I love my horses a little more, so I choose to market them hard. But I will always have room for my cattle.

Again welcome,
Alan

Latest posts