Cattle Economics

Help Support CattleToday:

Oldtimer

Reaction score
Another great article from Sheri- which fits as true to the US market as it does the Canadian- just change the name when you read it....And in both countries the so called cattle organizations like ABP, CCA, NCBA- that long ago sold out to the multinational corporates still keep backslapping them....

From the Badger Newspaper online.

Culling all cowboys
15 December 2009

By Sheri Monk

So, the NFU has called for an inquiry into slaughterhouse and retailer beef profits. Don't hold your breath.
To the NFU's credit, they are the only producer group in Canada making any noise as the Canadian cattle industry bleeds from a 1,000 wounds.
The honest-to-goodness trouble with the NFU is that no one publicly takes them seriously. Privately, I've had all kinds of ranching folk tell me how much they appreciated and identified with the massive NFU cattle crisis report released last year. But no one's talking about it at the auction barns, coffee row or better yet, with their MP. Without public support, there is no public power and without public power, the government's ear will continue to dance to a different beat. And as far as I can tell, the cattle business is not a beat our federal government wants to patrol.
So what if the NFU are seen as a bunch of bicycling bolshevik radicals? I just want action – I don't care where it comes from, be it the NFU or Tiger Woods riding bareback on a Perkins waitress.
When I moved to Maple Creek three summers ago, all I knew about cows is that I liked eating them pretty good, but didn't much care to drink from them. That changed, rapidly. In the fall of 2007, the business was in the tank and the more I heard and saw of it, the more I wanted to learn. And what I found epitomized in one industry, all the negative ramifications of issues like corporate concentration, lack of competition, global, vertically integrated companies and free trade. It was the world wide WalMart effect, neatly packaged between two hamburger buns. And it made me sick.
Whether it began with government and industry group pressure to increase herd size to feed the world, or the federal government's sheer neglect in protecting the industry from the introduction of BSE, or free trade agreements which serve only the masters who promoted them in the first place, I don't know. But I do know the wreck is on and not even the most optimistic, naive seer in the country can predict a happy ending here.
It seems I drive by more and more land which needs fencing – a depressing sign that traditional grazing grass is being abandoned, cultivated, sold out to a culture which promises profit not in exchange for sweat or honesty, but for greed.
The NFU, with the help of an Albertan rancher, butchered a cull cow which would have fetched $340 at auction, but yielded $1,233 worth of hamburger and stewing meat at current retail prices. And make no mistake, cull cows aren't just ground beef anymore – they're used in pre-packaged, ready-to-serve roast suppers consumers pay a premium for at the grocery store. The NFU wants to follow the money through the processing plant and ultimately to the grocery stores. Slaughterhouses say they're not making money, retailers stick to the same story. If this is true, then the beef business in Canada may indeed be the only industry on the planet not administered by government or charity in which no one makes money. That's bullshit and we all know it.
And all the free market fanatics with your emails set on kill, hold your horses. An entirely free enterprise system is capitalist anarchy. Unregulated business may scream freedom to the ears of the elite, but in the real world, the one the rest of us have to live in, it's a disaster. We live in a free, democratic society. Yet we still have a justice system, police and citizenship and media who act as watchdogs. Where is the parallel system for policing business?
Oh, you'll find it in name, on letterhead and on government websites. But it's a paper dog and pony show, created to sedate the masses and lull the population into complicit compliance. And yes, I'm tired of that, too.
Instead of fixing the business with measures like a ban on packer-owned cattle and mandatory, price discovery on private and forward contracts, we try and bully our way into foreign markets. Armed with trade agreements, we pry our way between the legs of reluctant countries, hoping we'll just slide right on in, after Uncle Sam had his way with her first.
Sure, we'll fight COOL to the death and if you're going to die, why not go down as a hypocrite? We travel with "Eat Cdn. beef" stickers on our bumpers, we herald our beef with its Canadian stamp of approval in the grocery store cooler, but we'll cry like a toddler having a tantrum when our largest trading partner does the same.
There's not much I can buy these days that's made in Canada, but by God, if I see the name of our country on any label, I happily pay extra for it. The rule applies to clothing, toys, cutlery and toothpicks, but we have no legislation to ensure we know what we're putting in our mouths?
Look south, way, way south. Look at JBS and its bid to become the biggest beef bully in America. Look how South American beef is being finished now to North American standards and tell me you don't see what's coming.
We're being culled. We're hanging on the hook and we blindly pretend we can still touch the ground, even as we are drained dry.
What's been done to this industry, the home quarter of Canada's wild west, is deplorable. Not rising up to try and save it is criminal.

So what if the NFU are seen as a bunch of bicycling bolshevik radicals? I just want action – I don't care where it comes from, be it the NFU or Tiger Woods riding bareback on a Perkins waitress.

I so liked the way she put it that she didn't care where the help came for the cattle industry-- it just needs to come to be- or cattlemen won't exist anymore...

Oldtimer":3jptluvk said:

I so liked the way she put it that she didn't care where the help came for the cattle industry-- it just needs to come to be- or cattlemen won't exist anymore...

Oh course you would like it OT ...nothing like birds of a feather that flock together to crap in anothers nest

frenchie":3i0q32a8 said:
Oldtimer":3i0q32a8 said:

Oh course you would like it OT ...nothing like birds of a feather that flock together to crap in anothers nest

Interesting- you're the only Canadian I've seen or talked to that doesn't agree with Sheri on this issue of trying to save the Canadian beef industry..
Even the Agri-Ville crew (where I found this article) all thought it was great- and that major actions needed to be taken to keep the Canadian (and eventually US) cattle producers from either going the direction of the hog and chicken producers ( serfs working for Tyson/JBS) or in the alternative- the way of the dinosaurs....

Oldtimer":298iaruh said:
Interesting- you're the only Canadian I've seen or talked to that doesn't agree with Sheri on this issue of trying to save the Canadian beef industry..
Even the Agri-Ville crew (where I found this article) all thought it was great- and that major actions needed to be taken to keep the Canadian (and eventually US) cattle producers from either going the direction of the hog and chicken producers ( serfs working for Tyson/JBS) or in the alternative- the way of the dinosaurs....

OT the N.F.U has no crediblity period and because of past antics were not taken seriously .nor are likely to be any time soon.they can yell and scream all they want, {because thats all they have ever done ...no one who could help in goverment will listen}

frenchie":2u2hp80g said:
Oldtimer":2u2hp80g said:

OT the N.F.U has no crediblity period and because of past antics were not taken seriously .nor are likely to be any time soon.they can yell and scream all they want, {because thats all they have ever done ...no one who could help in goverment will listen}

So your answer is then what- throw in the towel? Not try to build support amongst producers and producer organizations? Or wait and listen another 5-7-10 years to the multinationals bought out CCA/ABP/SSGA/NCBA/etal's empty promises/direction?

Oldtimer":gdkjjem2 said:
frenchie":gdkjjem2 said:
Oldtimer":gdkjjem2 said:

So your answer is then what- throw in the towel? Not try to build support amongst producers and producer organizations? Or wait and listen another 5-7-10 years to the multinationals bought out CCA/ABP/SSGA/NCBA/etal's empty promises/direction?

Who said anything about throwing in the towel Dick... I choose to support reputable producer organizations within Canada .Not roll around in the crap with the dogs like you do.

frenchie":1m7461sz said:
Oldtimer":1m7461sz said:
frenchie":1m7461sz said:

Who said anything about throwing in the towel Dick... I choose to support reputable producer organizations within Canada .Not roll around in the crap with the dogs like you do.

And that would be what organizations? The only one I ever saw that really took the side of the cattleman in the fight was the Big-C-- but they pretty much died on the vine because of nonsupport from the other Ag organizations......

The NFU nailed it whether we like it or not. Nothing will change up here though. Our provincial and federal government don't care if we go broke, so we have to live with that fact?
Personally I don't care if the cattle business goes broke up here. If it doesn't pay why do it? Quit.
XL and Cargill have had a good run up here at the cattlemans expense. Soon they will find there are not enough cheap animals to operate here and will pack it in...at least one of them will.
Theres a million ways to make money and if something is a loser, theres always another way.
If the boys in South America can produce it cheaper than here let them go to it.
The guys running cattle on leases can compete with South America because they get more from the oil activity than they pay out in grazing fees, so they'll make it. And the guy playing "cowboy" for tax purposes will make it, but common sense tells you if it costs more to grow it than you get for it...then its time to quit....and I don't really see that changing?