Cattle Dogs

Help Support CattleToday:

Mahoney Pursley Ranch":15jw5mxr said:
Ollie, What do you mean by "dogs are fence builders best friend" ?

OK, the straight answer. Unless the cattle are somewhat broke to being worked with dogs and the dog is well trained, the cattle are just as likely to plow through a fence as they are to go where they're wanted to. In our case, the cows attack dogs through the fence, but it's the same result.

dun

ollie":1ns6l0nm said:
I would just as soon try to herd cows with a hot air balloon as use a dog.
Dogs are fence builders best friend.

Ollie, have you ever seen fences after hot air balloons pass overhead? I live in a tourist area and the town invited all these ballooners in to blow their hot air. The noise from the burner in those balloons startled the cattle and they stampeded through fences. Took us locals a week to get all our cattle sorted out and back to the right home. Lot of fence buiding that week. :cry:

woverxx":xxn8lt6n said:
I live in a tourist area and the town invited all these ballooners in to blow their hot air. The noise from the burner in those balloons startled the cattle and they stampeded through fences. Took us locals a week to get all our cattle sorted out and back to the right home. Lot of fence buiding that week. :cry:

Good planning on the towns part. Made money off of the ballooners and off of the resident having to buy fencing material. Now that's a clever town council

dun

Craig-TX":2ewko5c7 said:
Mahoney Pursley Ranch":2ewko5c7 said:
Ollie, What do you mean by "dogs are fence builders best friend" ?

Some dogs are too aggresive and stirr the cattle up so much that they will run thru fences. A good cow dog can work magic. A marginal to poor cow dog is more trouble than they are worth. It can be like trying to work cattle with a John Wayne greenhorn who comes out to 'help' and hoops and hollers and gets all the girls so stirred up that, at the end of the day, you wish they had been drowned at birth.

Craig-TX

As usual Craig your right if the cow dog won't follow commands its worthless. A well trained dog is majic.

Top 3 dogs not to work cattle with. I know this because we own all three...

3. Golden Retrievers - They might be great at fetching ducks and the paper, but mine is clueless around livestock. He has a bad habit of running up on my horses behind for no reason at all, and enjoys running the fenceline at my weanling calves much to their mamas displeasure. Absolutelly no horse/cow sense.

2. Jack Russel Terriers - They are football shaped for a reason! My bitch is 10 and hasn't slowed much. She we still chase both horses & cows for no apparent reason and with no thought. Fortunately, she still has the dexterity to duck under the kicks they throw her way. All braun, no brains. However, unlike my retriever, who truly wants to play with the calves, she prefers to bite them on the nose.

1. Chihuahuas - Obviously size and attitude are a factor here. Paco also thinks its fun to chase calves along the fenceline. However, what makes him the worst candidate for such a job is that he likes to roll in fresh cow patties and then sleep on the couch...

For these reasons, my dogs are not in the pasture unless somebody goofed. Fortunately, I have such a small herd that a feed bucket will do. I also have a mule as back up.

Latest posts