Cattle brands.

Help Support CattleToday:

kenny thomas

Reaction score
Is there a web site where I can look up a brand? Bought some cows and one of them is carrying a brand. We do not brand in the east and I think she might have came from Nebraska as a heifer but just interested in knowing.
The brand is a backward S and WI.

I doubt there is such a place. Each state has their own brands, some states it's even by county. A brand inspector from each state may have something like that but if you don;t know which state you would be spitting in the wind trying to find it. The same brand can be used by different people with ear notch and/or location of the brand being the difference.

dun":34e871lv said:
I doubt there is such a place. Each state has their own brands, some states it's even by county. A brand inspector from each state may have something like that but if you don;t know which state you would be spitting in the wind trying to find it. The same brand can be used by different people with ear notch and/or location of the brand being the difference.

If they kept the registration up to date...

In Texas it is by county. If the cattle are registered it may be possible to find out through the breed association.

She is not registered.
If it is by each county, what if someone two counties over has the same brand. I buy cows from three states and over 175 miles in three directions. If I were in the west what is the possibility I would get the same brand from a different area. I have read on some of the posts about brand inspectors, is this how they keep track of them.
Again with this cow it really doesn't matter but just curious. She might be in Missouri by the time she calves anyway.

It would be very rare that someone 3 counties over would have the same brand but I guess it could happen. Most try and keep their brand unique.
Brand inspectors are usually looking at brands for stolen cattle. So he is only looking for a particular brand on an animal that was reported stolen.

kenny thomas":1b7ilz8v said:
You have my interest up now. Are you required to brand? If so who regulates it?
Not in Texas. The Brahman assoc.( ABBA) requires a brand on all cattle to be regestered. I cannot say about other breeds.

If she was calfhood vaccinated, the number on the metal tag in her ear or the ear tattoo number will tell you where she was calfhooded at. If she wasn't, there should be a metal permanent tag put in at the first sale barn she was sold at with a number that identifies the state and cow number that leads to name and address of the person who sold her. Neither of this tells who actually branded her, but it can help tell where she came from.

novaman":33zgf4he said:
Bez+":33zgf4he said:
Sort of proves that brands are not useable for trace back doesn't it?

Bez+
If there were a national database it would be more plausible.

I can just imagine the nightmare this would create. Especially the court cases over who gets to keep their brand if there are multiple users - which of course there are.

Bez+

Don't think I've seen or heard of any court cases involving brands in my lifetime but there could have been some. Here are Texas laws which are probably similar to everyone elses.

Texas Brand Laws
Texas Cattle Brands are controlled by the Texas Brand Laws. First we'll give you a recap of those regulations and then show excepts of the actual code. For official information about the Brand Laws for Texas and the Cattle Brands that are governed by them, consult the state's web site.

Branding Recap:
Branding Required"
Branding or marking is required on cattle, hogs, sheep, or goats. Voluntary on horses. Cattle marked on or before 12 months old. Others on or before 6 months old.
Methods Allowed:
Specified as "fire or electric heat brand, freeze brand, acid brand, or hoof brand; earmark, tattoo or electronic device.

Characters Allowed:
Letters, numbers, or figures

Size Required:
No specified size requirements
Brand Location:
Specified by owner as part of the brand registration.
State Agency:
Brands registered with the county court and unlike most states can be duplicated by others owners for other counties. Brand owners may register their brand in as many counties as they desire. Brands are the responsiblity of the Texas Department of Agriculture.

Brand Book:
Brand registrys are maintained by the County Clerk of each Texas county.

Reserved Brands:

Registration Fee:
$5.00 per brand to register for a Ten year period.

Sale or Transfer:
Registered brands may be sold or transferred by the owner.

Penalties:
Criminal and financial penalties are prescribed for violations of the regulations including using someone else's brand and using a non-registered brand.

Proof of Ownership:
Brand ownership provides prima facia evidence of ownership of branded livestock.

TexasBred":eys0h7z5 said:
Don't think I've seen or heard of any court cases involving brands in my lifetime but there could have been some. Here are Texas laws which are probably similar to everyone elses.

Texas Brand Laws
Texas Cattle Brands are controlled by the Texas Brand Laws. First we'll give you a recap of those regulations and then show excepts of the actual code. For official information about the Brand Laws for Texas and the Cattle Brands that are governed by them, consult the state's web site.

Branding Recap:
Branding Required"
Branding or marking is required on cattle, hogs, sheep, or goats. Voluntary on horses. Cattle marked on or before 12 months old. Others on or before 6 months old.
Methods Allowed:
Specified as "fire or electric heat brand, freeze brand, acid brand, or hoof brand; earmark, tattoo or electronic device.

Characters Allowed:
Letters, numbers, or figures

Size Required:
No specified size requirements
Brand Location:
Specified by owner as part of the brand registration.
State Agency:
Brands registered with the county court and unlike most states can be duplicated by others owners for other counties. Brand owners may register their brand in as many counties as they desire. Brands are the responsiblity of the Texas Department of Agriculture.

Brand Book:
Brand registrys are maintained by the County Clerk of each Texas county.

Reserved Brands:

Registration Fee:
$5.00 per brand to register for a Ten year period.

Sale or Transfer:
Registered brands may be sold or transferred by the owner.

Penalties:
Criminal and financial penalties are prescribed for violations of the regulations including using someone else's brand and using a non-registered brand.

Proof of Ownership:
Brand ownership provides prima facia evidence of ownership of branded livestock.
It was a law, maybe still is, that you cannot carry wire cutters with you unless you are on you own property. A lot of old laws are still on the books but not enforced. There was another about beating your mule in public and spiting on the street.

Nova I believe the wirecutter law is still on the books. Can also remember as a young boy seeing signs in the county courthouse saying "Do not spit on floor".

In Colorado we have a state brand board. The inspectors are by county. You need the brand inspector paperwork to prove the cattle are yours. You don't have to brand, you can ear tag. Most of the time they just get mixed up and you know what one is yours anyway. My nieghbor was almost sold one of his own cows last year but he noticed and it wasn't a big deal.

Bret

In Wyoming the brands are in a book I don't think that they are available on line. You have to have an inspection if you are crossing county lines. when you register your brand you get a brand card with your brand on it and the location and animals it is registered on. In Idaho you can go state wide on your brand card without an inspection.

Latest posts