Catching Wild Cows

Help Support CattleToday:

Hi Ryder. Well, being a cow petter who doesn't play e-scrabble and hates cooking I disregarded your viewer discretion warning and watched a couple videos. ;-) Those guys have talent but I am thankful that I don't require that kind of talent. I think the cow petters should watch this, it will make them appreciate how easy their cows are to deal with. As for the others groups I can't speak for them.
Hope life has been treating you good.:)

Ryder, I don't see why they can't just do it like my old neighbor did when he pulled stakes and moved to Missouri. Truck rolled in at 7 am and he began reasoning and talking to his cattle and by 9 pm they were loaded and ready to go. Never once did he use a hotshot, stick or a rope. So here is proof that reasoning with large dumb animals works. :cboy:

Victoria":1k6svrw3 said:
Hi Ryder. Well, being a cow petter who doesn't play e-scrabble and hates cooking I disregarded your viewer discretion warning and watched a couple videos. ;-) Those guys have talent but I am thankful that I don't require that kind of talent. I think the cow petters should watch this, it will make them appreciate how easy their cows are to deal with. As for the others groups I can't speak for them.
Hi back, Victoria,
Been doing pretty good up 'till recently. It is dry and we need rain.
Worst part is I am concerned about the temperatures. Weather info says it is 48 deg.F. right now (A little past 5 AM) and I don't dare go outside until it warms up some. Only supposed to get to about 78 today. I can handle 78 but when it gets down to 72 I get cold.

Jogeephus":1k01c0a1 said:
Ryder, I don't see why they can't just do it like my old neighbor did when he pulled stakes and moved to Missouri. Truck rolled in at 7 am and he began reasoning and talking to his cattle and by 9 pm they were loaded and ready to go. Never once did he use a hotshot, stick or a rope. So here is proof that reasoning with large dumb animals works. :cboy:
I got to admit there is merit in patience.
I thought that was going to be like a man I knew once who was loading a bunch of gentle brimmers. He just used a little molasses feed and tolled them right up the ramp into his truck. But those cows just kept coming and coming. He had not realized he had so many cows.

Then he discovered that those brimmers were loading from the back, going to the front and climbing out and coming back around to get another lick of that feed.
And that could be a true story.

Yes, there is merit in patience. I just hope the trucker driver doesn't think everyone in Georgia is crazy.

My thoughts:

The quality and condition of the calves to have been raised in that envirnoment.
How tame they were to be raised so isolated.
Always thinking of cost , what is the cost per head to get them out using that method
How many acres to support a cow and calf in that region.
What the H-- do they eat?

Ryder":2cgeagdz said:
Victoria":2cgeagdz said:
Hi back, Victoria,
Worst part is I am concerned about the temperatures. Weather info says it is 48 deg.F. right now (A little past 5 AM) and I don't dare go outside until it warms up some. Only supposed to get to about 78 today. I can handle 78 but when it gets down to 72 I get cold.

Funny, my husband just came in here and was talking about how odd the weather is. Here it is 12 degrees (53 in your language) and he was commenting that it is so warm out still. We are having a lightning storm, hasn't stopped raining here. Sure hope you get some your way. I am just hoping that we do dry up some for winter. If it snows as much this winter as it has rained this summer.... :help:
Have to say at 78 I am looking for shade or at least feeling sorry for myself. Perfect weather for getting things done is about 66 - not to hot not too cold.

Victoria":1w267ykk said:
Ryder":1w267ykk said:
Victoria":1w267ykk said:
Hi back, Victoria,

Funny, my husband just came in here and was talking about how odd the weather is. Here it is 12 degrees (53 in your language) and he was commenting that it is so warm out still. We are having a lightning storm, hasn't stopped raining here. Sure hope you get some your way. I am just hoping that we do dry up some for winter. If it snows as much this winter as it has rained this summer.... :help:
Have to say at 78 I am looking for shade or at least feeling sorry for myself. Perfect weather for getting things done is about 66 - not to hot not too cold.
I don't like it when I have to go from heat to AC and back and forth in the 24 Hr. day. Very aggravating.
My system can't get acclimated.

Ryder,
One of my biggest pet peeves is the way all public places feel the need to turn the AC on so high that you freeze in the summer when you go in wearing T-shirts etc. I hate going from hot to cold as soon as I walk through a door, drives me bonkers.

Latest posts