Castration Problem - Help!

Help Support CattleToday:

joshuaflora

Reaction score
Hello All,

I am hoping that someone can give me some advice. We raised cattle years ago, and I have recently purchased some cows and had my first go-round with cutting bulls. We cut a bull calf (3 months old) about two weeks ago. He swelled up about 2 days after and I got worried and gave him a shot of LA200. I have been keeping an eye on him and he is eating and moving fine, however, I noticed today that he has a mass about the size of two large fists on/above his scrotum. The mass is not hot to the touch, but is extremely hard! I hit him with another round of LA200 and called my vet. I hopefully will get him in later this week.

Any ideas as to what that is????

Took him to vet and they just gave him steroid shot and strong antibiotic. Hopefully it clears up!

Don't let this turn you off of castrating your own cattle. Sh$$t happens. If he wasn't running a fever or off feed, I would have just kept an eye on him. I have seen them swell all the way up the sheath. Biggest thing, if you CUT, be sure to take the bottom 1/3 of the scrotum off so there is no "pocket" for stuff to build up. Drainage is key to healing.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":1sixn87n said:
Don't let this turn you off of castrating your own cattle. Sh$$t happens. If he wasn't running a fever or off feed, I would have just kept an eye on him. I have seen them swell all the way up the sheath. Biggest thing, if you CUT, be sure to take the bottom 1/3 of the scrotum off so there is no "pocket" for stuff to build up. Drainage is key to healing.

This is exactly what I was going to post. And I believe this is probably what happened. Been there.....
I probably take closer to half than a third now.

Latest posts