castrate

Help Support CattleToday:

as soon as both testes have dropped and the weather is not too cold. It is easier on a younger horse because the blood supply is smaller, plus if the horse has not discovered the time of day so to speak, you will never have to deal with studdish behavior.
Hope all goes well. We had a team of Percheron mares for many years. It is a great breed.

Is it nessessary to dock the tails ----not that I'm a bleeding heart-----but I prefer to leave the tails alone (they will undoubtably spend a lot of time in the pasture with no shortage of flies------At the same time I don't want to have a terrible wreck and break my neck

Our mares tails were not docked. My husband farmed with them. He mowed the pastures, cut hay, disked and plowed with them. They were also used to pull a wagon in our county fair parade and the rodeo grand entries.

When he trained them, they were ground driven singly and with a stone boat or slide. They soon learned that a line under a tail was not a big thing. After both were driving well by themselves, he hooked them together. They pulled a slide for a long time before they ever pulled anything with wheels. I think that it taught them to pull into the collar and helped when it came time for them to pull the plow. The weight and drag did not scare them.

We had a pair of Standard x Percheron mares with long tails also. They never had a problem with a line under the tail.

Just my opinion, early is best. Also every horse I have ever broke in my life, was broke to drive before breaking to ride. Hooked to a tractor tire shoveled full of dirt. They learn right, left, whoa, go, and patience pretty fast hooked to a load.

I vote for the early as posible route....
usually they will need to be hosed of for a couple of days to keep it clean and keep the swelling down so frigid weather should be avoided but sure as heck not fly time.....

I see little advanage to docking tails....

Latest posts