Casey Tibbs

Help Support CattleToday:

I sure do. He was a he[[ of a hand.

When I was a kid we all thought we were Casey Tibbs or Jim Shoulders. I had a cousin Sonny Mangino who was a pretty good bronc rider in Colo in the 60's, who drove us all nuts with Casey Tibbs this or that. All I know is we sure did a lot of crazy stuff trying to prove we were that tuff. To this day I have to admit I am a lot better at the strategic dismount than ridin a rank one. I just got tired of "healin up".

All in all a pretty good hero for young Cowboys. :cowboy:

he had alot of imitators,, but was one of a kind.. i use to read about him in the old western horseman mags. still got box's full :cowboy:

I never knew Casey but I got to know Deb Copenhavor fairly well. He was Casey's traveling partner at times. He won 2 back to back world championships riding saddle broncs in the middle of Casey's run. I see an old NFR bronc rider from that era nearly every week at the cow sale. According to him, Deb could ride a ranker bronc but Casey could make a flashier ride.

In the early 70's Casey took a wild west show to Japan. One of my traveling partners went on that tour. The tour ended up going bust but when Bill got back home he had nothing but good things to say about Casey.

Well I am all mixed up. I thought Casey Tibbs was the black cowboy who started bulldogging. So who was that?? Too many durn senior moments lately.........

I never got a chance to see him, but read and re read everything I could find about him.

Did any of you ever know anything about a bullfighter named Pistol Holiday? I know he was active in the 1950's.
Met him once when I was a kid at a junior rodeo. He was working an RCA show that night. He was one crazy cowboy. I was very impressed but have not been able to find out anything about him since then.

I met him as a young girl. He was promoting his "Born to Buck" movie.

I still remember! Got his autographed picture too but I"ll be danged if I remember what happened to it....

MO_cows":1tu15sq6 said:
Well I am all mixed up. I thought Casey Tibbs was the black cowboy who started bulldogging. So who was that?? Too many durn senior moments lately.........

You're thinking of Bill Pickett. I also remember another good black Cowboy named Martes Dightman(sp) I think he was a bronc rider, maybe bulls I can't remember.

Gee thanks! I just sat and listened to Suzy Boggus and Patty Lovelass for an hour. :roll:

Dave":kr67irij said:
I never knew Casey but I got to know Deb Copenhavor fairly well. He was Casey's traveling partner at times. He won 2 back to back world championships riding saddle broncs in the middle of Casey's run. I see an old NFR bronc rider from that era nearly every week at the cow sale. According to him, Deb could ride a ranker bronc but Casey could make a flashier ride.

In the early 70's Casey took a wild west show to Japan. One of my traveling partners went on that tour. The tour ended up going bust but when Bill got back home he had nothing but good things to say about Casey.
i use to watch his son Jeff,, in the calf ropings on mesquite, buddy of mine use to go to his place alot, bet you knew Bob Blackwood...... looks like his son is still carring on the business http://www.blackwoodspurs.com/page3.html :cowboy:

Latest posts