carolina cross watermellon

Help Support CattleToday:

coolwater

Reaction score
has anyone ever planted the carolina cross watermellons?if so what can they truely average?ive seen the adds in the seed books and its hard to believe the weight on them.ill give them a try this year.do you think those that they brag on get special treatment from the rest of the patch?also i think that some 12/24/12 after the runners start gives them a little sweeter taste.i think they need that little more pot ash

I have grown them. I gave mine no special treatment and got a couple of 100 pounders. However, they take up a lot of space in the garden. You'll only get one to the vine. Got a few good pics of them. Not digitalized. Can't post, sorry.

I'd like to add a couple of more points about the Carolina cross. (1.) They are hollow hearted, not sweet, not good. (2.) Being hollow hearted, they appear much bigger than what they weigh. By that, I mean if you had a 100 pound Jubilee, it wouldn't appear the same volumetrically as the Carolina cross. By a long shot. The upside is you can ride around town with a 100 pounder in the back of your pickup and draw crowds, if you are so inclined. Also, it is a great calling card at a roadside stand. My son used this to his advantage last summer. A hundred pound melon will turn heads and get people to stop. Then you can sell them something.

coolwater, I think you'd fare better sidedressing with 15-0-14 in place of 12-24-12. Although it might not hurt, you most likely don't need the P.

ga. prime":3pp8x4a5 said:
I'd like to add a couple of more points about the Carolina cross. (1.) They are hollow hearted, not sweet, not good. (2.) Being hollow hearted, they appear much bigger than what they weigh. By that, I mean if you had a 100 pound Jubilee, it wouldn't appear the same volumetrically as the Carolina cross. By a long shot. The upside is you can ride around town with a 100 pounder in the back of your pickup and draw crowds, if you are so inclined. Also, it is a great calling card at a roadside stand. My son used this to his advantage last summer. A hundred pound melon will turn heads and get people to stop. Then you can sell them something.

coolwater, I think you'd fare better sidedressing with 15-0-14 in place of 12-24-12. Although it might not hurt, you most likely don't need the P.
thanks for the info on the carolina cross.ive never planted them.ive always had good luck with charleston greys,black diamonds and jubelies.i planted some crimson sweet last year and they were a flop.i understand what youre saying bout being hollow hearted.ive never tried this .dont know if it works but have been told that you can beef up a mellon once it is taking off by slicing into the stem,placing a cloth "wick"into the stem and the other end iton a bowl kept full of sugar water.the saying is that the mellon draws the water inside via the wick.the more water you add the bigger the mellon.but also was told it is mushy inside not good to eat.have you ever heard about this?

coolwater, I never heard of that wick method. Sounds kind of nutty though. :lol: :lol: But, it might work!

I'll tell you what I think would get you a 200 lb. Carolina.X melon if you had the time and patience to do it. Give the plant about a quart or so of manure tea every day or so as dictated by the weather. Waddaya think?

ga. prime":1eep15nk said:
I'll tell you what I think would get you a 200 lb. Carolina.X melon if you had the time and patience to do it. Give the plant about a quart or so of manure tea every day or so as dictated by the weather. Waddaya think?
could work.i just have way too much to do.sometimes i pass myself going and comming.abot the only attention i give them is thining and i wait till the runners start before fertilizing.i do however spend alot of time on my tomatoes.i spray each plant heavily 2-3 times a week with epsome salt salt solution and keep the suckers picked off.

Epsom salts stimulates growth.

Here's a veggie tonic:

2 Tblsp Epsom salts
1 tsp baby shampoo
1 gallon water

Mix all of the ingredients together and use "Veggie Tonic" liberally to soak the soil around tomato and pepper plants as they flower to stimulate their growth.

Energizing Earthworm Elixir

To grow the sweetest juiciest tomatoes and melons in town, mix up a batch of soil energizing mix before planting:

5 lbs of earthworm castings
1/2 lb epsom salts
1/4 cup instant tea granules

Mix all of the ingredients together, and put 1 cup in the bottom of each hole as you plant. Your tomatoes and melons will grow beyond your wildest dreams!!

Side note put used tea bags and banana peels around your roses, scratch em in and it keeps them blooming, just rejuvenates them.

Latest posts