Care to comment on this oldtimer

Help Support CattleToday:

frenchie

Reaction score
Stolen from Ranchers Net

Consumers Union Asks Feds to Retest Suspect Mad Cow After Crucial Test Omitted; USDA Urged to Follow Intl Recognized Procedures

Thu Feb 24, 8:51 AM ET

WASHINGTON, Feb. 24 /U.S. Newswire/ -- Consumers Union, publisher of Consumer Reports, today asked the U.S. Department of Agriculture (news - web sites) to retest a cow suspected in November 2004 of having mad cow disease, using a critical, internationally recognized test that the agency failed to use. The test, called the "Western blot," is used by authorities in Japan and Europe when making a final determination as to whether a suspect cow has the fatal brain-wasting affliction, which can be passed on to humans.

A Consumers Union delegation met earlier this month with USDA officials and today issued a letter to USDA Secretary Mike Johanns ( http://www.consumersunion.org/campaigns/Dear Secretary Johanns.pdf ) urging the agency to revise its testing methods. CU is asking the agency to retest the November cow using the Western blot and to send samples from the cow to the United Kingdom for an independent evaluation.

"Given the potential consequences to both public health and the cattle industry if this brain-wasting disease were to become established here, it is extremely important that every scientifically justifiable step be taken to prevent it," said the letter signed by Michael Hansen, PhD., a biologist with Consumers Union and spokesperson for its http://www.NotinMyFood.org campaign and Jean Halloran, director of CU's Consumer Policy Institute.

The USDA limited its confirmatory testing in November 2004 to the immunohistochemistry (IHC) test, which it describes as the "gold standard." The result of the IHC test was negative. USDA did not perform the Western blot test, even though it had previously used both IHC and the Western blot test in confirming the first U.S. case of mad cow disease, from Washington State in December, 2003. The USDA also sent material from the 2003 Washington State cow to the United Kingdom for further review of its results.

Scientists in Japan and Belgium have reported that suspect cows may be negative on the IHC and still register as positive on the Western blot. Such cows are universally regarded as infected.

The IHC test is more subjective than the Western blot test, relying on the judgment of a skilled scientist is assessing the appearance of thin slices of brain material under a microscope," Hansen said. "The Western blot test is more objective, with results that can be read by any technician." In the U.S., the IHC test is performed by a USDA scientist at a USDA laboratory in Ames, Iowa.

The cow USDA assessed in November 2004 had come up as "suspect" for mad cow disease in two runs of the Biorad "quick test." The Biorad test has been used to screen over 200,000 cows for mad cow disease since USDA began a new testing initiative in July 2004. However, all international authorities agree that the Biorad screening test can give a false positive result. Thus it must be confirmed by other tests. CU urges USDA to use both Western blot and IHC for confirmation.

"The USDA should operate out of an "abundance of caution" in its efforts to keep the U.S. food supply safe from (mad cow disease)," the letter to Johanns stated. The experience of the United Kingdom, where millions of cattle have been destroyed, beef exports blocked for many years and 147 people have died, painfully demonstrates the consequences of insufficient action to prevent the spread of mad cow disease."

frenchie- To me it appears that more of the consumers are realizing that the USDA's "sound science" policies and decisions are being made not with consumer safety or herd health in mind.... Rather they are being made by the "sound science of the big corporation lobbyist dollar"......

Oldtimer said:
frenchie- To me it appears that more of the consumers are realizing that the USDA's "sound science" policies and decisions are being made not with consumer safety or herd health in mind.... Rather they are being made by the "sound science of the big corporation lobbyist dollar"......

Is not the Consuners Union one of R- calfs friends that is asking for a retest of a U.S cow.....for b.s.e

frenchie":10eibz0t said:
Oldtimer":10eibz0t said:

Is not the Consuners Union one of R- calfs friends that is asking for a retest of a U.S cow.....for b.s.e

frenchie- R-CALF has always supported testing to find the extent of the disease and to keep consumer confidence and protect consumer health--They have promoted being open with the consumer, rather than sneaking behind their back, like USDA tried to do with shipping in illegal meat... I believe they testified to Congress that they thought USDA should require Canada to test everything until they could prove they were BSE free and that if a native case was found in the US that we should do the same- they backed Creekstones proposal to test all to open up our export market with Japan.... They've said that 5 years of testing could save us 10-20 years of heartache and a ruined industry in the years to come........Something the governments haven't seemed to care about.......

Oldtimer":23sks2p7 said:
frenchie":23sks2p7 said:
Oldtimer":23sks2p7 said:

frenchie- R-CALF has always supported testing to find the extent of the disease and to keep consumer confidence and protect consumer health--They have promoted being open with the consumer, rather than sneaking behind their back, like USDA tried to do with shipping in illegal meat... I believe they testified to Congress that they thought USDA should require Canada to test everything until they could prove they were BSE free and that if a native case was found in the US that we should do the same- they backed Creekstones proposal to test all to open up our export market with Japan.... They've said that 5 years of testing could save us 10-20 years of heartache and a ruined industry in the years to come........Something the governments haven't seemed to care about.......

Answer the questionIs not the Consuners Union one of R- calfs friends that is asking for a retest of a U.S cow.....for b.s.e

Further question does r-calf support retesting the negative b.s.e tests in the U.S

Next question if a U.S B.S.E positive cow was found by this tests..what is R- calfs plan to reassure the public

another questionIf Canada tested every animal for B.S.E would you oppose Cdn beef crossing the line..yes or no

last question do you support Japanese beef coming into the U.S Yes or no

and for the record I am not gleefully sitting here and hoping for a U.S case of B.S.E

I just have questions

frenchie":3aq71t69 said:
Oldtimer":3aq71t69 said:
frenchie":3aq71t69 said:
Oldtimer":3aq71t69 said:

Answer the questionIs not the Consuners Union one of R- calfs friends that is asking for a retest of a U.S cow.....for b.s.e

Further question does r-calf support retesting the negative b.s.e tests in the U.S

Next question if a U.S B.S.E positive cow was found by this tests..what is R- calfs plan to reassure the public

another questionIf Canada tested every animal for B.S.E would you oppose Cdn beef crossing the line..yes or no

and for the record I am not gleefully sitting here and hoping for a U.S case of B.S.E

I just have questions

frenchie- Yes Consumers Union is a consumers group that took a stand backing R-CALF's position on beef safety.
I have not seen any position that R-CALF has on retesting this particular cow or any others..

If a native cow is found R-CALF has advocated test all and find out the extent of infection and quarantee a safe product until it can be proven we are BSE free... But they also feel that Canada should do this now before we open any imports....Maintain consumer confidence at all costs- but don't blow a smoke screen around them like USDA is currently doing.......

If Canada tested all beef I'd say open it up- bring it down......I still believe all beef should also be labeled for country of origin so the consumer can make the final decision......

I'm for taking Japanese beef as long as its tested (which they do) and they take ours.......

Oldtimer":kljtykrr said:
frenchie":kljtykrr said:
frenchie":kljtykrr said:

I just have questions

frenchie- Yes Consumers Union is a consumers group that took a stand backing R-CALF's position on beef safety.
I have not seen any position that R-CALF has on retesting this particular cow or any others..

If a native cow is found R-CALF has advocated test all and find out the extent of infection and quarantee a safe product until it can be proven we are BSE free... But they also feel that Canada should do this now before we open any imports....Maintain consumer confidence at all costs- but don't blow a smoke screen around them like USDA is currently doing.......

If Canada tested all beef I'd say open it up- bring it down......I still believe all beef should also be labeled for country of origin so the consumer can make the final decision......

I'm for taking Japanese beef as long as its tested (which they do) and they take ours.......

pretty nice friends r- calf has.

You can not quarentee a safe product ....they won,t buy that argument...You can,t reverse your position on b.s.e as you have stated many times that tests are inaccurate if the prions have not yet migrated to the brain.Which is the part they test.

Furthermore you can,t make light of b.s.e considering R-calfs stance on Canadian cattle.
How long yrs without a case should a country go to be proven free of b.s.e.

So you would take Japanese beef as long as they took U.S B.S.E tested beef. Yes ...No

frenchie":5zihlbpb said:
So you would take Japanese beef as long as they took U.S B.S.E tested beef. Yes ...No

Yes I would take Japanese tested beef as long as they took ours-tested or not........I think Creekstone should have been allowed to test all and I believe the Canadians should be able to test all... I have no problem with it being sold as a tested product- because the more info available to the consumer the better... That is the reason I believe in country of origin labeling-- give the consumer all the info and let them decide.....

Frenchman have you got something against all of us oldtimers or is it just thisone in particular???????? :)

tapeworm":22arcq2w said:
Frenchman have you got something against all of us oldtimers or is it just thisone in particular???????? :)

I have nothing against any other oldtimer....as far as Britzman goes well...........

Think of it this way I keep dickie boys blood pressure up... :lol:

Latest posts