Can't catch a break

Help Support CattleToday:

nocows

Reaction score
Went out this afternoon and seen a cow nursing another cow :( I know what I have to do but it just sucks...... she's a good mama and she's raising one heck of a bull calf. I bought her in a small group via private treaty. I was told he was switching to registered cattle that's the only reason he was selling this group. I'd say he knew what she was up to and sent her down the road.

So now my question is should I sell her and the calf as a pair/possibly a 3 n 1 or wean her calf early and send her to the sale barn? The calf was born at the end of February.

I'd sale the cow nursing and the cow letting her nurse. There are a lot of great cows out there you could replace these with.

I guess the question is, are you willing to pass the problem on? If you sell her as a pair, she will probably do this in the next herd. If you sell at auction, I expect the buyer may break the pair up and resell the calf anyway. You usually get more money that way. I would either wean early or separate her and her calf from the herd for another month until the calf is a little bigger. I prefer calves to be 5-6 months when I wean, but weaning at 4 months is not uncommon in some situations.

I can separate her and the calf for the next month or two until he's ready to wean, I will take her to the sale barn and let them know she's a milk thief. I'd say she'll sell as a kill/weigh cow, I don't want her to disappoint someone else.

Just frustrating that people aren't honest... I tend to give most people the benefit of the doubt in situations. I'm having a hard time believing the feller I bought her from wasn't aware of the situation. Either way it's a done deal I'll take care of the situation and move on down the road.

On to the next one........ :cboy:

ALACOWMAN said:
What mineral do you use,or was he using.. Could be a bad habit or she could be craving something..she ain't getting..

I'm using some Hi Mag mineral from our local Co-op I was using some mineral that had Altosid in it for fly control but recently switched to the Hi Mag as they've been on lush green grass. I always have it available to them free choice of course.

Nutrient Analysis
Calcium (Ca), not less than 12.5%
Calcium (Ca), not more than 15.0%
Phosphorus (P), not less than 5.00%
Salt (NaCl), not less than 14.0%
Salt (NaCl), not more than 16.0%
Sodium, not less than 4.5%
Sodium, not more than 5.5%
Magnesium (Mg), not less than 10.0%
Copper (Cu), not less than 711 PPM
Selenium (Se), not less than 18.8 PPM
Zinc (Zn), not less than 3,571 PPM
Manganese (Mn), not less than 2,349 PPM
Iodine (I), not less than 70 PPM
Vitamin A, not less than 40,000 IU/LB
Vitamin D, not less than 5,000 IU/LB
Vitamin E, not less than 77 IU/LB

This is the first time I've ever caught her doing something like this but I'm not watching them 24/7 she acted like it wasn't her first time she got directly behind the cow and was sucking while the calf was already nursing from the side.

I can't break her from sucking but i can tell you how to break the other cows from letting her suck. Get a halter that will fit her and drive a couple of rows of horse shoe nail threw the nose band. I wrap the nose band with duct tape after i drive the nails threw it.

Get one of these and put in her nose.

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=https%3A%2F%2Fstatic.agcanada.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2Fsites%2F4%2F2015%2F04%2F30.HST-nose-flap-in-place.jpg&imgrefurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.grainews.ca%2F2015%2F05%2F22%2Feasier-weaning-for-calves-using-nose-flaps%2F&docid=sRRH9-Tbh-uU0M&tbnid=zVforXJiQwgVkM%3A&vet=10ahUKEwiH5Kmm1fniAhXww1kKHf5pD4IQMwhGKAYwBg..i&w=700&h=525&bih=608&biw=1347&q=weaning%20nose%20flap&ved=0ahUKEwiH5Kmm1fniAhXww1kKHf5pD4IQMwhGKAYwBg&iact=mrc&uact=8

BC said:

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=https%3A%2F%2Fstatic.agcanada.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2Fsites%2F4%2F2015%2F04%2F30.HST-nose-flap-in-place.jpg&imgrefurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.grainews.ca%2F2015%2F05%2F22%2Feasier-weaning-for-calves-using-nose-flaps%2F&docid=sRRH9-Tbh-uU0M&tbnid=zVforXJiQwgVkM%3A&vet=10ahUKEwiH5Kmm1fniAhXww1kKHf5pD4IQMwhGKAYwBg..i&w=700&h=525&bih=608&biw=1347&q=weaning%20nose%20flap&ved=0ahUKEwiH5Kmm1fniAhXww1kKHf5pD4IQMwhGKAYwBg&iact=mrc&uact=8
I've seen them with some spiky things along the edges which would probably work better, assuming she hasn't done this song and dance before somewhere else and figures out how to get rid of it.

greybeard said:
BC said:

I've seen them with some spiky things along the edges which would probably work better, assuming she hasn't done this song and dance before somewhere else and figures out how to get rid of it.

They work out pretty quickly to just flick them up.

Never had any luck with the stick it in there nose crap. You can't leave the dang things in for very long. Use the halter with the nails you can leave it on longer and it works 100%. The nose blabs might work and might not.

nocows said:
I can separate her and the calf for the next month or two until he's ready to wean, I will take her to the sale barn and let them know she's a milk thief. I'd say she'll sell as a kill/weigh cow, I don't want her to disappoint someone else.

Just frustrating that people aren't honest... I tend to give most people the benefit of the doubt in situations. I'm having a hard time believing the feller I bought her from wasn't aware of the situation. Either way it's a done deal I'll take care of the situation and move on down the road.

yea i've bought a lot of animals off individuals and most of them were culls.. they will lie to your face and not give a crap. the goat people are the worst. sheep people are pretty bad..

my rule after losing thousands is never buy from anyone with less than 50 hd.

cowrancher75 said:
yea i've bought a lot of animals off individuals and most of them were culls.. they will lie to your face and not give a crap. the goat people are the worst. sheep people are pretty bad..

my rule after losing thousands is never buy from anyone with less than 50 hd.

This is unfortunate, but sadly true in most cases. Been there done that.

The few that I have sold 'private treaty' I fully disclosed WHY I was off-loading the animal. 1 cow decided, after 3 days, that she didn't want to be a mother anymore. 1 cow didn't breed back. 1 cow had a very bad attitude. The people bought them anyhow, they said they were willing to take the chance. One was a repeat buyer. :) I prefer to be able to look at myself in the mirror & be able to sleep at night.

I've been lied to and "done dirty" and choose NOT to do that to others.

nocows said:
So now my question is should I sell her and the calf as a pair/possibly a 3 n 1 or wean her calf early and send her to the sale barn? The calf was born at the end of February.

I'd haul them to the stockyard together, they'll split & sell separately. This way you'll be done with them.

nocows said:

Appreciate your honesty! I've taken culls, cows with attitude, just not great bags, late calvers, stags & opens to the sale barn and have always been up front. I've even sold "undesirables" (primarily attitude) private treaty with full disclosure.

Honesty has nothing to do with it, I buy the same way as I sell at the stockyards. I've heard the ringleader announce these are all good cattle from so and so, but I've never heard this cow is a milk stealer. The buyers will pick a flaw out on a cow within 10 seconds once it enters the ring.
When I sell private treaty if your not happy with your purchase I'll give you your money back. The stockyard is business only, not Disney World.

True Grit Farms said:
Honesty has nothing to do with it, I buy the same way as I sell at the stockyards. I've heard the ringleader announce these are all good cattle from so and so, but I've never heard this cow is a milk stealer. The buyers will pick a flaw out on a cow within 10 seconds once it enters the ring.
When I sell private treaty if your not happy with your purchase I'll give you your money back. The stockyard is business only, not Disney World.

If I send a problem to the sale barn I let them know what it is. I think that's only right.

TennesseeTuxedo said:
True Grit Farms said:

If I send a problem to the sale barn I let them know what it is. I think that's only right.

Good for you, I don't. There's not a cow sold that doesn't have a flaw. Have you ever sat through a sale at a stockyard? The order buyers will yell out when they see something wrong, it's like getting a trophy for them.

True Grit Farms said:
TennesseeTuxedo said:
True Grit Farms said:

Good for you, I don't. There's not a cow sold that doesn't have a flaw. Have you ever sat through a sale at a stockyard? The order buyers will yell out when they see something wrong, it's like getting a trophy for them.

I totally get what you're saying. I guess I should clarify, if I take a cow that needs to go to slaughter to the barn I tell them, she's a slaughter cow. Same on a bull if he has a problem. If I half a calf with a defect I don't point it out because as you stated, they're gonna spot it anyway.

Latest posts