canning

Help Support CattleToday:

Lammie

Reaction score
I want to put away some of my maters this year. Also some green beans if I get an abundance. I know I can look it up on some website, but I figure that there are some old hands at it here and I want to know if anyone has any secrets they are willing to share. I have the jars. My husband bought some several years ago and he never used them.

Lammie":fcf4pusl said:
I want to put away some of my maters this year. Also some green beans if I get an abundance. I know I can look it up on some website, but I figure that there are some old hands at it here and I want to know if anyone has any secrets they are willing to share. I have the jars. My husband bought some several years ago and he never used them.

I used a recipie when I was canning. However, now I just freeze them all. The beans I just wash off, snap and put in freezer bags (1 cup at a time) Then I stick them in the freezer.

For the tomatoes, I use this recipie

4 cups Ripe tomatoes, peeled, cored and cut up
1/2 cups Tomato Juice
2 tsp Sugar
1 tsp Salt

Put all ingredients into a saucepan. Stir, bring to a boil. Simmer for 10 minutes, stirring 2-3 times. Cool. Pour into freezer bags or containers. Freeze. Makes 4 cups.

To peel tomatoes, put into boiling water for 30 seconds, then the skins will slip off easily.

When I canned them this was the recipie I used.

51/2 lbs Ripe tomatoes, peeled, cored, and cut up if you wish.
1 Tbsp Bottled lemon juice (not fresh) PER PINT
1/2 tsp Pickling salt PER PINT
1/2 tsp Sugar PER PINT

Place tomatoes in large sauce pan. Heat on med. until starting to boil. Pour into hot sterilized jars to within 1/2 inch of top. Add lemon juice, salt and sugar to each jar. Place sterilized lids on jars and screw on securely. Procees in a boiling water bath for 35 minutes for pints, 45 minutes for quarts. Makes 4 pints.

Thanks! I'm printing this. Should be great for stews this winter!

If you decide to can, invest in a pressure canner. Water bathing green beans takes for ever and you can only be sure they got hot enough to kill botulism by using a pressure canner. I put up 60 qts of green beans last year and the canner only takes about 3 hours total with cool down and the water bath is about 6. I can almost everything in the pressure canner.

deaconcreek":3irbhhw2 said:
If you decide to can, invest in a pressure canner. Water bathing green beans takes for ever and you can only be sure they got hot enough to kill botulism by using a pressure canner. I put up 60 qts of green beans last year and the canner only takes about 3 hours total with cool down and the water bath is about 6. I can almost everything in the pressure canner.

You know, my mom and grandma used to can and I can remember them doing it, but not like I should have. I wonder if they even make pressure canners anymore? I bet my sister has my granny's. My mom used to freeze a lot of stuff and make jams. Wild plums. We had a friend that made preserves from figs and they tasted just like strawberry. I don't see figs any more. We used to have them growing everywhere. My boys don't even know what figs are. I loved them when I was a kid. Like getting a snack without having to go in the house.

They still make pressure canners, I bought a new one last year. I bought the biggest one I could get my hands on, cost me over $100, but well worth it. Canning is a dieing art, no one I know cans like I do, and they all think I am crazy for it. But I like to do it and like to know where and what my food comes from, plus it tastes so much better.

Latest posts