Canned Beets

Help Support CattleToday:

randiliana

Reaction score
A friend gave me this recipe. They taste just about like they did when they were fresh from the garden.

1 Quart water
1/2c Sugar
1/4c Vinegar

This makes enough to do about 2 1/2 quarts (5 pints). Boil, slice and pack beets into sealers. Mix water, sugar and vinegar and bring to a boil. Pour over beets in sealers to within 1/2 inch of rim. Place lids on sealers and place in hot oven for 10 min. Make sure to tighten lids after you take jars out of oven, or you will find out (as I did) that they won't all seal.

ga. prime":o78aid1v said:
I like beets but have never had much luck growing them. What's the secret?

I dunno, I just stick the seeds in the ground and they grow. My garden has quite a lot of aged manure in it. The ones I have been growing are the yellow ones, they sure are good, and they don't stain.

My dad's secret is to plant the seeds and then cover them with a board. Just any old 1 inch thick board - usually about 6 inches wide. He leaves this on them for a few days until the beets have sprouted then takes the boards off. I guess this traps heat and moisture and helps them get started.

That board tip holds promise, bullbuyer. I'll try that. Randiliana, I've never seen nor heard of yellow beets. What's the lowdown?