candian dollar

Help Support CattleToday:

Carlos D.

Reaction score
I don't know if you folks down south are aware of it --but since our dollar got to be worth more than youre's ,cross boarder shopping has gone mad --and are the northern states ever accomodateing .My wife wants to build new house -can save at least 20.000.00 on material by going south--excample---drywall 4x8 sheet here 12.97 --north dakota 7.97 --shingles 18.39 a bundle here --north dakota 13.95 and if I'm building a house I can most likely get 10 % off ---Why in heavens name I can buy a 2x4 in the U.S. that came from canada in the first place totally eludes me

carl

I guess what comes around goes around. :) Maybe next year we will be up there looking for bargains. A couple of years ago we sold some timber and it went to Canada.

I was in Duluth (largest Northern Minnesota city) last weekend and I saw tons of vehicles with Ontario plates! I'm sure the retailers were pretty happy about it.

We have a place in Ontario and I remember when we got .30 to .33 extra on the dollar, but prices were still so high on most consumer goods.

mnmtranching":1k6fe2b4 said:
Don't You Canadians have more baggage attached to your $??
OOOOH ! yes 7% provincial sales tax--6% goods and service tax.---If I buy material in the states I will have to pay g.s.t. when I come across the boarder BUUUTTT if I cross in saskatchewan and bring my material to manitoba I can eliminate the 7 % prov. tax

carl

I can remember when it waws the opposite. It trubles me that the dollar is taking a dive like it has. BUT! To avoid a political discussion, I'm bowing out of this one.

To our neighbors to the North, take advantage of it! I would if I were in your positon... :D

Some of the motels are ofering shopping trip rates for the Canucks comming down to shop. Spoke with some folks from Alberta that came down in a tour bus. Great way to take a trip and save a buck or two....blue or green.
Dmc

To answer your question about the Canadian 2x4's, ya'll been dumping them on us for several years and its killing our mills and folks are losing jobs because of this. Here, private citizens own most of the timber unlike Canada where your government owns vast acres of timber and allow the companies to cut it at bargain prices to insure jobs and a good economy. If you see the boards with holes drilled in them, the reason for this is that manufactured wood products are not controlled by the treaty and this is a loop-hole that is exploited to dump more lumber on our market. Pretty smart if you ask me. Its a shame our politicians are so stupid or so easily bought. Carlos, I don't mean to sound like I got a chip on my shoulder cause I don't. I'd do the same if I was in your shoes. Besides, I think ya'll know how I feel when it comes to some policies relating to your cattle exports. We both probably don't care for either situation and would like to see something different, but we don't make the rules - we just try to play by them. Just my opinion.

Jogeephus":9scipw2a said:
To answer your question about the Canadian 2x4's, ya'll been dumping them on us for several years and its killing our mills and folks are losing jobs because of this. Here, private citizens own most of the timber unlike Canada where your government owns vast acres of timber and allow the companies to cut it at bargain prices to insure jobs and a good economy. If you see the boards with holes drilled in them, the reason for this is that manufactured wood products are not controlled by the treaty and this is a loop-hole that is exploited to dump more lumber on our market. Pretty smart if you ask me. Its a shame our politicians are so stupid or so easily bought. Carlos, I don't mean to sound like I got a chip on my shoulder cause I don't. I'd do the same if I was in your shoes. Besides, I think ya'll know how I feel when it comes to some policies relating to your cattle exports. We both probably don't care for either situation and would like to see something different, but we don't make the rules - we just try to play by them. Just my opinion.

What they save with todays exchange, they pay in booze taxes here. Only people who can out drink us,and don't mind paying up for it. :lol:

I don't have a chip on my shoulder either.

10 years ago when I bought my Woodmizer 2x4" 8' were 3.50$

Now, ummm best used for firewood. :help: :help: :help:

All the dimensional lumber around here comes from Thunder Bay.

So be it, North American Free Trade Agreement, :roll: :roll: :roll:

Not exactly Free. :shock: :shock:

Just got informed that the price for the logs for my dream home has increased 34%, they come from Canada.
Sorry to tell you this Jo, but the tree huggers have killed almost all of the timber mills here in MT. They are no longer allowed to log any US Forest land. The huggers even go to the courts and stop salvage logging. They have also gotten old timber roads closed.
I know of a pic that was used to stop a timber sale, what people were not told is that the land that had been clear cut was on private property; they had listed it as Forest Service Land.
I'll stop here.

Speaking of things Canadian ~ do you guys suppose you could do us folks here in Mn a favor and keep this nasty wind up there? BRRRRRRRR!

Horticattleman":cyni9hss said:
By the way Jo, I see you changed your avatar to my favorite character of all time. He is the best! I have every episode ever recorded with him in it or not.

I agree. Earnest T. was a character and I'm glad he finally made Mrs. Wiley happy.

I Luv herfs, you are right. They have gutted the timber industry in this country. What they don't seem to understand is that if you put value on a resource like timber then people will plant more of it. Take it away, and you'll see a lot of brushland. Too bad about the price of your logs for your home. That really doesn't make sense to me given the present timber market of course it could be something to do with exchange rate. If it was home-grown, prices should have gone down 35%. (or are price drops only felt by those who grow the stuff and not on the retail end.)

Yeah it was depressing to hear that.
I've seen ads in papers where the lumber mills were looking for private property where they could harvest timber.
Too bad they forget that if you do not remove these dead trees they turn into "Widow Makers".
You probably never heard the reports out of Yellowstone Park where people were injuried by these trees that were burned in the '88 fires. The rangers had to go along trails and cut them down.

Was told today that Georgia Pacific just closed another sawmill here in Georgia. I guess its their way of saying Merry Christmas to their employees.

Latest posts