Canadian Imports Double- All Prices Go Down

Help Support CattleToday:

Oldtimer

Reaction score
No wonder the cattle market is going in the dumps- double the average amount imported :mad: :(

--------------------------------------------------

Cattle Producers Urge Ottawa to Step Up with Programs to Ensure the Survival of Canadian Farmers

Ian McKillop - Ontario Cattlemen's Association

Farmscape for April 25, 2006 (Episode 2122)

Canadian cattle producers are urging Ottawa to step up with programs that will ensure the survival of Canadian farmers until long term solutions to the global farm income crisis can be developed.

Last week a trade dispute over unprocessed grain corn imported from the US ended when the Canadian International Trade Tribunal ruled the imports do not threaten to the Canadian corn industry.

Ian McKillop, president of the Ontario Cattlemen's Association and a director on the Canadian Cattlemen's Association, says, while it's difficult to be certain of the full impact of provisional duties in place since mid-December, they did create a great deal of uncertainty.

We have seen an increase in the number of feeder cattle that are being exported to the US over the last several months and some of that may be based upon the uncertainty related to the corn countervail issue but we are currently exporting about 9,000 head of feeder cattle per week out of Canada to the US and that compares to about 4,300 per week during our last normal five year average prior to BSE so our feeder imports are up.

Again I can't really say how much of that is related to the corn countervail but that was our concern with corn countervail, it would drive our input costs compared to the US cost of production and it would make our feeder cattle much more attractive to the US buyer and, with a duty in place, we could potentially see the flow of more cattle to the states.

McKillop agrees Canadian corn producers are suffering from low commodity prices, as are other sectors of agriculture.

He suggests reduction of international subsidies through the World Trade Organization is the place to start but he admits that process could take some time.

In the absence of that happening quickly, he maintains, it's imperative that government step forward to ensure Canadian producers operate on a level playing field with their foreign competitors.

How much of that would have to do with the American cowherd being smaller than it has been in years?

Not a smart ass comment, just a serious question.

When gas is near $3 a gal. and chicken can be had at the meat case for 40 lbs for $10 the demand for beef will go down pretty darned quick!!! Oldtimer do you think they should keep there pesky oil north of the border also, then the poor oil producers could have some relief also :roll: Maybe that extra weight we are putting on the fat's will help the price a little :p Who are these pesky people that are BUYING all these extra feeder cattle? Maybe you could get them to join your local cattle group so they could explain why your cattle may not have enough quality or benifits to work in there lots.

mwj":ov4d58ng said:
When gas is near $3 a gal. and chicken can be had at the meat case for 40 lbs for $10 the demand for beef will go down pretty darned quick!!! Oldtimer do you think they should keep there pesky oil north of the border also, then the poor oil producers could have some relief also :roll: Maybe that extra weight we are putting on the fat's will help the price a little :p Who are these pesky people that are BUYING all these extra feeder cattle? Maybe you could get them to join your local cattle group so they could explain why your cattle may not have enough quality or benifits to work in there lots.

mwj- Funny you mention oil--The Montana Attorney General just formed a Task Force to investigate the Oil Companies- one of the reasons is that while World wide oil is trading at $70 barrel- the oil producers in Montana and Dakotas (huge field) are only getting paid $30 barrel and under...The oil companies explain that it is because of inability to transport because of distance and the fact that all the pipelines are tied up with Canadian oil which they are paying $70 barrel for :???:

Why do we buy imports we don't need or imports for more when it is available in the good old USA for less?...Last I heard Canadians didn't pay US taxes....

I would like to hear more about tha $30 dollar crude oil, I could arange some trucking even with diesel over $3 a gallon. If they can aford to truck your dirt cheap cattle I would guess somebody would jump on the chance for doubling there money on the cheap oil and paying the taxes also. Maybe they could even backhaul you some of that cheap chicken 8)

Oldtimer were did you get this dislike for Canadians? It is getting a little old dont you think?

S.R.R.":ffw9jrry said:
Oldtimer were did you get this dislike for Canadians? It is getting a little old dont you think?

You are wrong S.R.R.-- I don't dislike Canadians or Canadian ranchers- Being 30 miles from the border I have a lot of Canadian friends- even performed a wedding for ones son the other day- Canadian groom, American bride :D ....

What I have a dislike for is government dictated trade policies that give foreign imports an advantage over US products and give illegal immigrants and foreign workers the same or more rights than US citizens....

mwj":3f3ap0p7 said:
I would like to hear more about tha $30 dollar crude oil, I could arange some trucking even with diesel over $3 a gallon. If they can aford to truck your dirt cheap cattle I would guess somebody would jump on the chance for doubling there money on the cheap oil and paying the taxes also. Maybe they could even backhaul you some of that cheap chicken 8)

Actually fedup2 says that in his part of ND it is selling at $27-- I know many of local rigs are slowing down production- one has to question who is making policy when its available locally, but we have to slow down production to handle the expensive imports :roll:

Point me to his post on this cheap oil if you could. I would sure like to take a closer look at it. I always was a sucker for easy money! I have a friend or two that could make some things work out for the benifit of the producers also!

mwj":1s4l6bkc said:
Point me to his post on this cheap oil if you could. I would sure like to take a closer look at it. I always was a sucker for easy money! I have a friend or two that could make some things work out for the benifit of the producers also!

Here is one of the latest news articles- from yesterdays paper...

Schweitzer asks AG to investigate oil profits
By MATT GOURAS
Associated Press

HELENA -- Gov. Brian Schweitzer asked the attorney general Thursday to investigate "potential unfair practices with respect to oil and gas prices" as oil companies rake in big profits and charge higher amounts for gas at the pump.

Schweitzer said he is particularly worried about the small amount being paid to Montana independent oil producers for their product, a subject of a meeting last week between Schweitzer and the governors of North Dakota and Wyoming.

At that meeting, the governors said oil drillers in the region were getting almost half the amount for their oil when compared to other areas.

"We are absorbing the cost of significantly higher gas prices while at the same time being paid less for our oil," Schweitzer said in his letter to Attorney General Mike McGrath. "The math is simple. Someone is walking away with a windfall, while hardworking Montanans are being hit from all directions -- from lost profits to oil producers, to lost tax revenue to state and local governments, to decreases to the school trust fund, to higher prices at the pumps." Meanwhile, oil companies are paying top dollar to foreign dictators who have used profits to fuel terrorism, Schweitzer said in an interview.

"When you give money to a Montana oil producer, every single bit of it goes into drilling another well," Schweitzer said. "Would you rather have Montana producers finding more oil with that money or sending it to the dictator?

"It is clear there is a rascal out there and we want to find out what rock they live under."

The Montana oil industry has cited a number of factors for the reduced rate they are getting for their oil, including a dominant Canadian oil industry moving product through regional pipelines and limited refining and transportation capacity for oil coming from this area.

McGrath said he would wait for findings from a regional panel being established to discover facts in the case before he launched an investigation.

Oldtimer":2r4s73ys said:
S.R.R.":2r4s73ys said:

You are wrong S.R.R.-- I don't dislike Canadians or Canadian ranchers- Being 30 miles from the border I have a lot of Canadian friends- even performed a wedding for ones son the other day- Canadian groom, American bride :D ....

What I have a dislike for is government dictated trade policies that give foreign imports an advantage over US products and give illegal immigrants and foreign workers the same or more rights than US citizens....

Welcome to our world! Here in Canada if you are applying for a job and you are a white, middle aged, english speaking, male you had better check the "I consider myself a minority" box on the application.