Canada has another bailout program to cattle and hog farmers

Help Support CattleToday:

Oldtimer

Reaction score
Canada gives aid to cattle and hog farmers

By Roberta Rampton

Reuters Canada

Fri Dec 14, 2007

WINNIPEG, Manitoba (Reuters) - Canadian cattle and hog farmers, struggling with high feed costs and low prices, will have access to a total of C$3.8 billion ($3.73 billion) in loans and aid early in 2008, Agriculture Minister Gerry Ritz said on Friday.

Federal and provincial governments will provide C$2.3 billion in secured loan guarantees to the livestock sector, including C$1 billion in new credit, Ritz told reporters.

Loans will be capped at C$400,000 per producer, and the first C$100,000 will be interest-free, he said.

In addition, governments will accelerate access to C$1.5 billion in support programs, Ritz said.

Ritz said the programs will help livestock farmers weather poor returns brought on by record grain prices, poor meat prices, and the surging Canadian dollar, which has hurt the export value of meat and livestock.

"We've seen these peaks and valleys before; they've struggled through. It's a matter of the government giving them the help at the time," he said.

Ritz said the aid, which will be delivered through existing government programs, would comply with Canada's trade agreements, and he said he discussed them on Thursday with Chuck Conner, the acting U.S. agriculture secretary.

Livestock groups have been lobbying governments for weeks for help to cover mounting losses.

"At first blush, it sounds like the kind of things we've been asking for, and we're very happy that the federal government will step up to the plate," said Hugh Staunton-Lynch, president of the Canadian Cattlemen's Association.

Ritz projected the programs would give a 400-head cow-calf farmer aid payments of C$38,500 and loans of up to C$116,000. A 500-sow hog farmer could receive C$185,500 in aid payments and loans up to C$250,000, he said.

Ritz said governments were not able to comply with a request from hog farmers for C$1.5 billion in unsecured loans.

"There's really no way to do that at any government level. We have little things called treasury boards and auditors general that take a dim view, and of course (unsecured loans) are completely trade-challengeable," Ritz said.

The Canadian Pork Council was slated to meet to discuss the aid announcement on Monday. "We suspect it's just a reannouncement of current programs," said Clare Schlegel, the group's president, adding he hoped the government would reconsider the request for a bigger loans package.

"Our farmers are in real distress here. It's been such a severe situation," Schlegel said.

The way things are here right now ---with the BSE crises---the riseing looney ;loans will only be the demise of some beef producers I hear that 1000 beef producers are going out of business this year in manitoba alone--Most producers are from 55-70 years old they don't want the aggravation any more -QUESTION ---are the cow numbers going down in the states

Carl

WeeLLLL Have I got news for you guys --We should be the envy of the world ----just got a cheque from the government $48.60 whooo hooo eat your hearts out .I'm off to Mcdonalds--going a take my two kids too --- of course not enough money to put gas in the old truck now isn't that some bale out pragram Hmmmmm??????????

Carl

Come on there boys--take your pittance and shuttup- theres poor starving Packer CEO's out there .... ;-) :lol: :lol:

Tyson Foods CEO receives $24.6M in 2007

By LAUREN SHEPHERD

Business Week

NEW YORK

The chief executive of Tyson Foods Inc., the world's largest meat processing company, received compensation valued by the company at about $24.6 million in fiscal 2007, according to an analysis of a proxy statement filed Wednesday with the Securities and Exchange Commission.

Richard L. Bond, who also serves as president, received a base salary of $1.2 million. He was not paid a bonus but did receive about $1.7 million in non-equity incentive plan compensation. He then received $42,508 in above-market earnings on deferred compensation.

The total figure also includes $740,227 in "other compensation" for tax reimbursements, life insurance benefits, matching contributions from a stock purchase plan, company contributions to an executive savings plan and $378,856 in perquisites, or "perks." The perks included use of the company plane, a car allowance, country club membership dues, use of company-owned entertainment assets, a personal cell phone, home phone and Internet line and event tickets.

But most of his compensation was paid in the form of stock and stock options. Bond, 60, was awarded stock and stock options that had an estimated value of about $20.8 million when granted.
-----------------------
Tyson Foods, the largest United States meat producer, increased the compensation of its chief executive, Richard L. Bond, fivefold and quadrupled the pay of its former chief, John H. Tyson, as the company returned to profit after a 2006 loss.

------------------------------------
Mr. Tyson (who Bonds replaced in May) , the founder’s grandson and Tyson’s chairman, received $9.25 million in the 2007 fiscal year, including a salary of $1.17 million, $4.18 million in stock and options valued at $2.86 million, the company said.

He received $968,398 in other compensation, including personal use of company aircraft valued at $394,249 and $50,458 for country club membership dues. In the 2006 fiscal year, his total compensation was $2.13 million.

http://www.ellinghuysen.com/news/articles/62332.shtml

WeeLLLL Have I got news for you guys --We should be the envy of the world ----just got a cheque from the government $48.60 whooo hooo eat your hearts out .I'm off to Mcdonalds--going a take my two kids too --- of course not enough money to put gas in the old truck now isn't that some bale out pragram Hmmmmm??????????

Carl

I will meet you there.....my cheque was $57.28!

YEP

My nieghbours wife got 189.00 and he got 145.00 ----125 cow operation

we wanted to invite oldtimer up for a steak dinner ---but looks like he'll have to settle for a weenie roast

carl

number of over 30 months and over is 17190 plus dairy this is counting slaughter and breeding stock may include some from hawaii that use canadian ports ( there were shipment of cattle from hawaii that landed in canadian ports then shipped back to the state all through the boarder beening closed) Ive heard the cattle #'s in the states are going down but don't know a 100%

mbangus":2urln84u said:
well oldtimer what'll it be a meal at Md or a weenie roast our treat :lol:

We've already got all your money spent over on the ranchers site--rkaiser is using it for a collection to buy gas to "come on down"--and I'll buy the first round of drinks... Too expensive up north anymore since that Canuck money got so pricey.... ;-) :lol:

The sad part-- is that when you read those articles- and when Canadian nonranchers and taxpayers read those articles--it sounds like each Canadian cattleman/hogman is getting a huge taxpayer funded windfall.... :shock:

Much like our US Farm Bill--media makes it out that the average farmer/rancher is being paid a fortune in taxpayer subsidies/disaster payments--when the average farmer/rancher gets little or nothing compared to what some of the corporate and factory farms get- and how much of the junk money stuck in the farm bill doesn't even belong there as its related more to welfare or housing...Projects like building all new Indian housing on the reservation- or the food stamp assistance program- or the one that gave all low income free cell phones/service :roll: ....

But this is about the third or fourth Canadian government BSE boondoggle that has occurred since 2003- and its not helped those that need the help a bit...You all would be much better off if they'd spent that money testing all cattle slaughtered and allowing the marketing of tested beef....

The one thing I'd like to know is how much of the Canadian governments/taxpayers $3.8 billion go toward making up Tysons CEO's $24.6 million dollar yearly compensation :???:

Oldtimer":2enaexk7 said:
The sad part-- is that when you read those articles- and when Canadian nonranchers and taxpayers read those articles--it sounds like each Canadian cattleman/hogman is getting a huge taxpayer funded windfall.... :shock:

--media makes it out that the average farmer/rancher is being paid a fortune in taxpayer subsidies/disaster payments--

Then why did you post the article with all the numerical values bolded? Was it not your intention to do exactly what you are blaming the media for doing? :roll: :roll:

On another note --I don't know why every thing is so expensive here takes a #$$hit load of money to be a canadian I went to get a front axel for my quad 485.00 in brandon manitoba --found one in the states for 129.00 ---Ivomec for cattle 145.00 a jug here 65.00 in the states --My wife wants to build a new house in the spring guess how much I can save by buying a pile of material in the states

carl

SSAP":3daj53fx said:
Oldtimer":3daj53fx said:

--media makes it out that the average farmer/rancher is being paid a fortune in taxpayer subsidies/disaster payments--

Then why did you post the article with all the numerical values bolded? Was it not your intention to do exactly what you are blaming the media for doing? :roll: :roll:

ASAP--That is what your news media (WINNIPEG, Manitoba (Reuters)) are putting out to the public...I'd think if you have a complaint you should be taking them up on it--or these politicians that gave you each these big windfalls... :p ;-) :lol:

But maybe you don't want to know what the rest of the world is reading...I have found a few Canadians (like rkaiser) that don't want to stick there head in the sand anymore and pretend nothing is happening...Apparently you are not part of that bunch-Eh :???: ....

Carlos D.":29p3krb0 said:
Question for OLDTIMER

are the cow numbers down in the U.S.

thanks

carl

Down from when? It seems like every year we have some area in a drought- where cattle are being sold off- or being moved out of to another area....The drought in most the plains and Texas has broken- but now the southeast is in a severe drought....Seems like the numbers just shift around...I know bred cattle are a hot item in my area- with commercial cows/heifers going as high as $1400--while I hear they are being sold pretty cheap in the south...

This is the latest article I have seen coming out with USDA's numbers (?).....They say beef cows are down 0.3%...

http://www.thebeefsite.com/articles/109 ... mbers-down

SSAP":2vosb9hu said:
Oldtimer":2vosb9hu said:

This is about all the Americans and the Canadian non rancher/hogfarmer knows about the program--Just that ranchers and hog/farmers are stuffing their pockets with taxpayer money... :roll:

SSAP Have you or has anyone or any one of these so called Canadian cattlemens organizations (ABP/CCA/SSGA/etc.) did any checking to find out who is getting these $400,000 loans with the first $100,000 interest free :???: -- or who is getting these $38,500 payments :???: Has ol Hugh 3 Name got off his duff to do any checking :???: Whats the high potentates of the SSGA found out :???:
Usually these type programs are written with some special interest niche group in mind .......

Us canuks need to get to get together for a game of poker and toss these checks in for a pot at least someone will come away with something

Latest posts