can you help

Help Support CattleToday:

sporder

Reaction score
brought cows into barn today and noticed one of them had a white spot like growth on its eye. does anyone know what this might be?
DSCF1616.jpg

Looks like the start of cancer eye, can be removed surgically, but the better option is just to get rid of her before it gets worse and while you can still get something for her.

she is 10 years and due to calv in 2 months. i would like to get the calf before getting rid so does this mean i d have to get it removed. what is the time scale and will her offspring be prone to it

I believe that It is cancer eye and it is common in Hereford cattle. The time line about how fast it will grow varies. You should be able to keep her long enough for her to calve and maybe raise the calf.
Your vet should be able to remove it with liquid nitrogen. My husband managed a registered Hereford operation for many years and that is how I learned about it.

If left untreated, she will probably lose her eye.

Your best bet is to get your vet to look at it and give you a prognosis.

Lots have folks have told you what to do.

Possible things:

Cancer eye
Old wound in final healing stage
Final healing of bad pink eye
Partial blindness from almost anything including butting cow heads
And another bunch of things

What to do:

Nothing for a few days - and watch it get worse, better or stay the same.

Call a veterinarian and know for sure

Up to you.

Far too many folks come here looking for a long distance diagnosis - when in fact all we can do is offer opnion.

[Bez]

the vet will be getting a call first thing in the morning. i just wanted to find out what it was and how serious thats why i posted. there are alot of experienced people on here that can almost give an opinion straight away rather than pester the vet.

I have seen those before. It may be a precurser to cancer eye, but not necessarily. I had a horned cow 2 years ago with something similar at weaning, late Nov, and by the time I was going to ship her in Jan, it was gone. She is still here and haven't had any problems. I have seen the same things in a bull once and then a couple months later it was gone.

Is it attached to the eyeball or is it just floating on the eyelid? If attached to eyeball probably not a good thing but if it is attached to the eyelid, may not be as bad as some may think.

Brian

Definately get the vet out to look at it.
We have cow with a similar looking white spot, but I know hers is caused from a piece of hay getting into her eye and causing an injury. Our vet freaks every fall when he see's her, but it has not grown at all.

Now we have dealt with cancer eye also, now if it is attached to the eye ball we have had the eye removed. Let the cow raise the calf and send her down the road in the fall at weaning. now you will take a hit at the barn for a one eyed cow.

Let us know what the vet says.

Could be any of the following:

1. Start of cancer eye (as said above)
2. Object in the eye (hay, weed, bit of anything she rubbed on) that needs to be removed from the eye socket
3. A touch of IBR since it is off-center in the eye and not in the center

...glove up and give the eye socket a feel for a foreign object and talk to your vet -- come back and let us know what you found out.

When I was a kid, the guy who leased our land had a blind Hereford cow. She was always alone away from the herd and I asked the farmer why he didn't send her to the sale barn. He said the bull always finds her and she gives me a good calf every year.

If it is cancer then a few days dosen't really matter because it is growing regardless.
Just wait and see what the vet says.

UD had a bull calf born blind in one eye. We banded him and since we knew we wouldn't get a good price for him and developed nicely we kept him. Filled the freezer nicely.

tncattle467":3ao3edve said:
Uncle Dude":3ao3edve said:
When I was a kid, the guy who leased our land had a blind Hereford cow. She was always alone away from the herd and I asked the farmer why he didn't send her to the sale barn. He said the bull always finds her and she gives me a good calf every year.

Ummm okay. Not to be rude or anything but what in the heck does this have to do with cancer eye. The cow in question is not blind. I am afraid I do not follow you.

Ummm like ya know since we haven't like you know found like the real diagnosis with the the moo cow in question she could like ya know simply go blind. If she goes like Stevie Wonder on him she could like still reproduce and have like more little baby like moo cows!

vet came out today. early stages of cancer eye. not a problem at the moment as there are not many flys around but will get worse. options - take eye out or cull her once she has weaned calf. she seemed to think she would be ok till then. she also said there was no evidence that it would be passed on to her offsppring.

sporder said:
vet came out today. early stages of cancer eye. not a problem at the moment as there are not many flys around but will get worse. options - take eye out or cull her once she has weaned calf. she seemed to think she would be ok till then. she also said there was no evidence that it would be passed on to her offsppring.[/quote]

bet she does

JHH I have had cows with cancer eye who do not have it anywhere in their back ground. Nor have their offspring had cancer eye.

sporder if it starts getting much bigger and it does bleed get the eye out immediately. Mainly just keep an eye on it.

Latest posts