Can you check my math

Help Support CattleToday:

HDRider

Reaction score
Brangus is 63% Angus & 38% Brahma.

If I start with Angus Plus which is 81% Angus, and 19% Brahma, bred to a 100% Angus, the offspring would be 91% Angus and 9% Brahma. Right?

63+38 = 101
Sorry I know it's a typo and doesn't answer your question
.Angus Plus which is 81% Angus, and 19% Brahma, bred to a 100% Angus, the offspring would be 91% Angus and 9% Brahma. Right?

19/2 = 9.5
81+ 9.5 = 90.5

Cross-7":1vsg38qq said:
63+38 = 101

.Angus Plus which is 81% Angus, and 19% Brahma, bred to a 100% Angus, the offspring would be 91% Angus and 9% Brahma. Right?

19/2 = 9.5
81+ 9.5 = 90.5

He was rounding off the percentages. It's actually 62.5% (5/8) and 37.5% (3/8), which does add up to 100%.

Rafter S":1hlxtnei said:
Cross-7":1hlxtnei said:
63+38 = 101

19/2 = 9.5
81+ 9.5 = 90.5

He was rounding off the percentages. It's actually 62.5% (5/8) and 37.5% (3/8), which does add up to 100%.

Cross-7":3cqbiyly said:
Rafter S":3cqbiyly said:
Cross-7":3cqbiyly said:
63+38 = 101

19/2 = 9.5
81+ 9.5 = 90.5

Those are the decimal values. He was talking about percentages.

Cross-7":1ix59ur7 said:
63+38 = 101

19/2 = 9.5
81+ 9.5 = 90.5
Rounding via Excel.

I guess English ain't my strong suit either. I don't understand what you mean by 81+ 9.5 = 90.5

HDRider":3vl5um1d said:
Cross-7":3vl5um1d said:
63+38 = 101

19/2 = 9.5
81+ 9.5 = 90.5
Rounding via Excel.

I guess English ain't my strong suit either. I don't understand what you mean by 81+ 9.5 = 90.5

You were right
I was just doing the math
Brahma 9.5%
Add the 9.5 % brahma lost to the angus
81 + 9.5
You were right to begin with I was just splitting hairs, my apology

Thanks..

Further..
So the terminal calf would be ~5% Brahma?

My real question is, how much Brahma does it take to protect against Anaplasmosis?

I was looking at this equation this morning wondering if it would help to add some Brangus or Angus Plus cows to my heard. Thanks for information.

I like brammers, the male offspring just don't sell well. 70 cents per lb in my area. You may do OK with angus plus cows bred back Angus or herf though.

HDRider":38oghyk8 said:
Thanks..

Further..

My real question is, how much Brahma does it take to protect against Anaplasmosis?

I'd be interested in seeing information that discusses genetic solutions to Anaplasmosis or other diseases. Feel free to post it or send it privately if you'd rather. Thanks.

WalnutCrest":2dzxac5w said:
HDRider":2dzxac5w said:
Thanks..

Further..

I'd be interested in seeing information that discusses genetic solutions to Anaplasmosis or other diseases. Feel free to post it or send it privately if you'd rather. Thanks.
All I have is antidotal. Just people saying the Barham helped. Not sure how much of it you need.

HDRider":7rqi3w2u said:
WalnutCrest":7rqi3w2u said:
HDRider":7rqi3w2u said:
Thanks..

Further..

All I have is antidotal. Just people saying the Barham helped. Not sure how much of it you need.

OK. Just curious as Anaplasmosis has struck about every breed of cattle I've had, except two. I was hoping some university somewhere had written that up. Thanks.

I'd be interested in hearing from th Brahma guys down south, Alacowman, Caustic and so on

The year I had the outbreak it didn't matter if they had Brahman in them or not. Now the least amount or Brahman I have in my cows is 1/4. Brahman helps with a lot of things, BUT its not the cure all for every problem. that year I lost a Brangus and one of the nicest looking Beefmaster cows I have ever seen. Also had a big Tiger cow abort and almost die from it.
my guess is its not that they will get Anaplasmosis but the fact that flies and ticks don't bother them as bad. I said AS BAD they still get ticks and flies.

WalnutCrest":9wgwxhox said:
HDRider":9wgwxhox said:
WalnutCrest":9wgwxhox said:

OK. Just curious as Anaplasmosis has struck about every breed of cattle I've had, except two. I was hoping some university somewhere had written that up. Thanks.
Let me guess Aubrac is one of the two breeds?

Latest posts