can she handle it?

Help Support CattleToday:

bigbruh

Reaction score
I traded for a bred black jersey heifer yesterday. My neighbor preg-checked her and determined that she was between 7 and 7.5 months along. Is she too far along for me to attempt to halter break her and be able to lead her? Not sure if it will put too much stress on the calf. He said that the calf is already big and active. Please advise. I would like to maybe graft calves with her.

If she is gentle already she may be no problem to halter break. Can you rub her and groom her now? If so she might be fine. If she has not been handled I might wait till after she calves. I have grafted a lot of calves over the years and never had any of the cows halter broke but I am sure that might have helped.

Jerseys are pretty resilient. Unless she's mean you shouldn't have any trouble working with her. In fact they're pretty easy to halter break as they tend to follow you around as it is.

She's already calmer today than yesterday. If I move slow, I can rub her. Yesterday I thought that she was a flight risK! When I get the lead rope i can lead her in the pen. I was just wondering if I was doing too much too soon. I would like to turn her out with the others, but didn't want the risk of not being able to catch her.

bigbruh":1cqawknd said:
She's already calmer today than yesterday. If I move slow, I can rub her. Yesterday I thought that she was a flight risK! When I get the lead rope i can lead her in the pen. I was just wondering if I was doing too much too soon. I would like to turn her out with the others, but didn't want the risk of not being able to catch her.
If you can give her some feed a couple times a day. Does not need to be a large amount just that she associates you with getting a treat. After a couple days I bet you will have to run her back to the cows. She will come running when she hears you.

If you've got the space and time, I'd tie her in a stall for a week or so. Get her used to a rope and you coming along side her, and feeding her, bedding around her.. etc. She learns she can't get away while on a rope, and is forced to have close contact with you. I tie all my heifers for their first winter, some even their 2nd.

Latest posts